News: What to do with Leary and Collins

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I missed the end of the Cowboys vs Niners game (but recorded it). Leary is out there mauling in the 2nd half. He's road grating out there. Problem is, Collins is talented too and must be on the field when healthy.

My Captain Obvious solution: play them BOTH. We know Free is long in the tooth (but truth be told, still pretty effective most of the time). But I gotta believe Collins at RT with Leary at LG pays off this line (and puts a big smile on Zeke's face).

Now, if there are plans to keep Collins at LG because Chaz Green is being groomed to be our RT, please disregard this thread :D

I'm really really impressed with Leary. It's gonna be a sad day if we let him go.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I missed the end of the Cowboys vs Niners game (but recorded it). Leary is out there mauling in the 2nd half. He's road grating out there. Problem is, Collins is talented too and must be on the field when healthy.

My Captain Obvious solution: play them BOTH. We know Free is long in the tooth (but truth be told, still pretty effective most of the time). But I gotta believe Collins at RT with Leary at LG pays off this line (and puts a big smile on Zeke's face).

Now, if there are plans to keep Collins at LG because Chaz Green is being groomed to be our RT, please disregard this thread :D

I'm really really impressed with Leary. It's gonna be a sad day if we let him go.
Leary is not going to stay. Would you stay after getting benched despite playing at a near-pro-bowl level when healthy?

Chaz Green is already better than Doug Free.

jaybird

Reaction score

I have said this from day one. Never understood why Collins wasn't groomed to replace Free. Free has one foot in the NFL career grave. Wasn't Collins a very good College Tackle? Never understood why the force feed Collins as a guard.

As early as this spring I was stating that hopefully Green would replace Free at some point this year. I'm actually a Free fan. He has overall served us well, but he's well past his prime. Ideally IMO- as follows:(near future)
Smith-Leary-beard-president-Collins
Injured Collins replace with Green.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Leary is not going to stay. Would you stay after getting benched despite playing at a near-pro-bowl level when healthy?

Chaz Green is already better than Doug Free.
Depends. Leary could have dogged it, but to his credit, when Collins went down, he was ready. He was very professional. I give him credit.

Agreed about Green being better, but I don't know when it is financially advantageous to make the switch. I gotta believe it is financially driven (Free just signed a new deal IIRC) because even before he subbed an injured T Smith, it didn't happen. I agree with you though X.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Long season yet, so it will play out as to what happens.
My guess before the season started, as still is now. Leary is a FA, and will look at contract offers. Green will compete with Free for RT next year.

But don't be surprised if Leary returns next year and Collins is moved to RT. This would be fine with me too. Green will be the ST. I doubt this happens, but I wouldn't mind it. But I think Leary gets too big of an offer that Dallas won't or can't match.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The contract Leary is going to want puts him out of our reach. You can't pay all these guys. Even if Collin's best position ends up being at RT, we're probably looking at getting a cheaper player (maybe a rookie) to man down LG. Especially if you want to keep Collin's at RT when his contract is up.

irishline

Reaction score
Agreed about Green being better, but I don't know when it is financially advantageous to make the switch. I gotta believe it is financially driven (Free just signed a new deal IIRC) because even before he subbed an injured T Smith, it didn't happen. I agree with you though X.

They will save 5 million against the cap if they release him this offseason (with 1.5 million in dead money).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/doug-free-2419/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have said this from day one. Never understood why Collins wasn't groomed to replace Free. Free has one foot in the NFL career grave. Wasn't Collins a very good College Tackle? Never understood why the force feed Collins as a guard.

As early as this spring I was stating that hopefully Green would replace Free at some point this year. I'm actually a Free fan. He has overall served us well, but he's well past his prime. Ideally IMO- as follows:(near future)
Garrett has some weird Doug Free fetish. His feud with ex-OL coach Callahan started when Callahan wanted to bench Free.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I would keep Leary. Convince him to stay. Didn't Collins play OT in college? Why not prepare and move him to RT to replace Free next year? They could actually start this transition right after Collin's rehab. This is what I'd do. Chaz can still be the swing Tackle and we'll have our best 5 on the field.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score

And I've said this to those that say this CONSTANTLY :
Collins hasn't sniffed RT other than the 1st week of OTA his rookie year or taking some snaps in practice 2wks ago, due Free/Smith/Green injury concerns. But go ahead, keep thinking this.....

SMH

Last edited:

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Long season yet, so it will play out as to what happens.
My guess before the season started, as still is now. Leary is a FA, and will look at contract offers. Green will compete with Free for RT next year.

But don't be surprised if Leary returns next year and Collins is moved to RT. This would be fine with me too. Green will be the ST. I doubt this happens, but I wouldn't mind it. But I think Leary gets too big of an offer that Dallas won't or can't match.

No way we pay Leary what he'll garner on an open market. We still have major issues in the front seven on D (some of which will HAVE to be addressed in FA) and Martin is coming up for an extension. Collins and Green are cheap right now and we have to roll with them. Love Leary's mean streak and his readiness (considering his situation). I wish the guy all the luck in the world and I hope someone backs up the Brinks truck for the kid this coming off-season. But it isn't going to be us.

I think Green is almost a shoe in to replace Free next season. As far as Collins, the dude is a Guard in the NFL. He doesn't have the feet or discipline to play with balance on the outside. He's a mauler in the run game and a liability in the passing game, as is. I've maintained for a long time that Leary is and has been the better player at Guard for this team but I understand the team's enthusiasm for Collins (considering his draft situation and pre-draft grade). It's not everyday that you get a top ten prospect in the draft as an UDFA. But it doesn't change what my eyes see and that is that Leary is the better player. Dallas HAS to roll with Collins, though. Leary DOES have a degenerative knee condition that will eventually limit his effectiveness and long term career. But, I'll be honest, if someone offered me a 2nd for Collins and I knew I could lock Leary up for the next 3 years, I'd jump on it like white on rice without hesitation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Lots of guys start out at guard. Problem here is you've got three guys who need to be paid and you just can't spend that sort of FA money all in the line. Leary is UFA. Zach is a year or two from it. Collins will get a new deal at the end of this season to pay him like a first rounder in 17 and 18. You just can't have five big deals on the OL. Gotta have vets on lower money deals or picks like Green filling a spot or two

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's yet another angle to consider:

If Leary is likely destined to depart the Cowboys after this season, he's unquestionably enhancing his trade value with his play this year.

Things could get interesting next offseason, in terms of seeing what might come of a possible trade with Leary being in greater demand.