News: What to do with Leary and Collins

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
And I've said this to those that say this CONSTANTLY :
Collins hasn't sniffed RT other than the 1st week of OTA his rookie year or taking some snaps in practice 2wks ago, due Free/Smith/Green injury concerns. But go ahead, keep thinking this.....

SMH

Collins also was never a great technician at T in college either.

I think he's where his skillset suits him best in the NFL.

While most are thrilled that we didn't trade Leary because of the immediate need, it is an example of an area where our FO has been underwhelming-- acquiring something for players that are leaving us anyway.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Here's yet another angle to consider:

If Leary is likely destined to depart the Cowboys after this season, he's unquestionably enhancing his trade value with his play this year.

Things could get interesting next offseason, in terms of seeing what might come of a possible trade with Leary being in greater demand.

Better get it done quick. The trade deadline looms. And, to be honest, unless someone knocks our socks off with an offer, he's worth more to us (in depth) than anyone is going to be willing to part with.

erod

Reaction score

If Leary is likely destined to depart the Cowboys after this season, he's unquestionably enhancing his trade value with his play this year.

Things could get interesting next offseason, in terms of seeing what might come of a possible trade with Leary being in greater demand.

He's a free agent. How would we trade him?

revospeed

Reaction score
You gotta feel bad for Leary. He's a stud that wasn't put on the field. A perfect storm of Free being loved by the coaching staff (wouldn't be surprised to see him get into coaching), a steal in Collins and a degenerative knee that hasn't malfunctioned sidelined his career. He's playing for his next contract right now and he looked great last week. Reminded me of the Leonard Davis that was road grating for Marion Barber (not the Leonard Davis that was ole-ing against the Giants) and I wouldn't be surprised to see a division rival offer him a huge contract in the offseason.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Keep them both if you can. For all we know, Romo might not even be on the team next year saving some money. The OL is the strength of the team moving forward. Let Collins and Green compete for the RT position.

Just keep good players. Get rid of those that can't play.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I don't think we'll be able to afford to keep Leary. He handled this whole thing exactly like a pro should, he made his displeasure known but still came to work and got himself ready. Now he has a chance to really cash in on the free agent market this offseason. I can't imagine he'd be inspired to give the Cowboys a discount since they essentially handed his job to Collins after he injured his groin. Collins never actually beat him out for the position until Leary was unable to play at his normal level. And Leary was looking for a trade, but it never materialized. So I assume he's going to want out and someone will pay him handsomely. Good for him, he deserves it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends. Leary could have dogged it, but to his credit, when Collins went down, he was ready. He was very professional. I give him credit.

Agreed about Green being better, but I don't know when it is financially advantageous to make the switch. I gotta believe it is financially driven (Free just signed a new deal IIRC) because even before he subbed an injured T Smith, it didn't happen. I agree with you though X.
Free is in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal, which was really more like a 2 year deal with a team option for the 3rd year. They would save his entire 5M salary if he is cut.

The biggest problem is that if Free is cut, then the depth at OT is gone unless they can develop a young guy like the recently signed Emmett Cleary. Unfortunately, Witzmann didn't make it to the practice squad. He was looking decent at times in the preseason, but KC signed him to their 53 when the Cowboys tried to get him to the practice squad.

The depth at Guard will be lacking also.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Haha. I appreciate that. Learned someone thing new. Thanks!

Honestly, in this context cheese grater works a bit too. The Niners were not looking too fresh when they came out of the game against us, and teams have historically played poorly the week following our games (with this offensive line). So I'd say they feel both graded and grated.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Long season yet, so it will play out as to what happens.
My guess before the season started, as still is now. Leary is a FA, and will look at contract offers. Green will compete with Free for RT next year.

But don't be surprised if Leary returns next year and Collins is moved to RT. This would be fine with me too. Green will be the ST. I doubt this happens, but I wouldn't mind it. But I think Leary gets too big of an offer that Dallas won't or can't match.
While I'd like to see Leary back if Collins actually could play Tackle (remains to be seen). Dallas won't have to match any other offers, they'd have to blow it out of the water. Leary clearly feels that he was treated unfairly in this situation (and he was). He'll be a professional and play his best in the meantime, but he's counting the days until he can get out of Dallas. Don't se surprised if he ends up at a division rival. The choice to keep Leary will not be a choice the Cowboys can make, it's Leary's.

jaybird

Reaction score
Garrett has some weird Doug Free fetish. His feud with ex-OL coach Callahan started when Callahan wanted to bench Free.
True, I think it has something to do with Doug Free willing to negotiate his contract a few years back. Him and Jerry has some kind of agreement

jaybird

Reaction score
Keep them both if you can. For all we know, Romo might not even be on the team next year saving some money. The OL is the strength of the team moving forward. Let Collins and Green compete for the RT position.

Just keep good players. Get rid of those that can't play.
This

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You can't trade UFAs, which is what Leary will be next offseason.

John813

Reaction score
Leary leaves and Collins is our LG moving forward.

Seems clear cut to me.

Leary wants to be paid and Collins is paid peanuts for next year.

Collins has a higher ceiling and is more athletic.

I think the fact that Collins hasn't been tried out at RT means that the staff thinks he doesn't have the skillset to be as successful there compared to guard.

Besides, we have Green waiting in the wings.

Our hope is that Leary balls out, gets a big contract and we get a pick for the 2018 draft.

ghst187

Reaction score
I missed the end of the Cowboys vs Niners game (but recorded it). Leary is out there mauling in the 2nd half. He's road grating out there. Problem is, Collins is talented too and must be on the field when healthy.

My Captain Obvious solution: play them BOTH. We know Free is long in the tooth (but truth be told, still pretty effective most of the time). But I gotta believe Collins at RT with Leary at LG pays off this line (and puts a big smile on Zeke's face).

Now, if there are plans to keep Collins at LG because Chaz Green is being groomed to be our RT, please disregard this thread :D

I'm really really impressed with Leary. It's gonna be a sad day if we let him go.

Totally agree, I like Leary at LG better than Collins and I'd like to see Collins moved to RT.
I'd love to get Leary back on a decent deal.