What to do with Prescott and this contract

cern

Reaction score
I hope the o-linemen and zeke go on their annual fishing trip to the keys and leave him behind.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree his playing on the Tag would be a constant distraction. And I expect him to sign the Tag.

I’m curious . Is there any history of players not signing the Tag?
There was Le’Veon Bell just a couple years ago, but he’s the only one I know of to go a whole season without signing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it's Stephen Jones looking for any area at this point that he can consider a 'win'. He needs somewhere he can point to in order to say "see Daddy, I made them compromise!"

Because the fact is, at this point, Stephen has lost in every area of the recent negotiations he's made. First with Lawrence and then Elliott, and now with Dak too.

They heard his ridiculous first proposal and told him to go pound sand. And now a year later, the cost has gone from $25 million a year to $35 million a year - and then some.

The Jones boys have mishandled these negotiations - badly, and everything has gone the way that Prescott and his camp have hoped they would. He's stayed healthy and productive, and the quarterback market continues to rise. And there's a cap jump on the horizon and he and the agent are looking ahead to that next bite at the apple. Everything is working in their favor while the Cowboys choose to exert none of the leverage or opportunities they may have had.
And why Jerry most likely will Cave. Unless they let him play on the Tag.

Assuming Dak signs the tag it’s very likely it plays out as such. Now if Dak and the Cowboys get off to a hot start then I could see Jerry stepping up. He’s basically looking for support to over pay him so to speak.

I don’t think Jerry is afraid of making Dak the highest paid QB. Jerry’s just playing into the pushback he’s been receiving from the public, critics and fans who are saying Dak isn’t Elite enough to be the top paid QB.

rags747

Reaction score
There was Le’Veon Bell just a couple years ago, but he’s the only one I know of to go a whole season without signing.
And he signed for less than Pittsburg offered him plus he has been dog crap since.

cern

Reaction score
I don't think Stephen has done anything wrong during the negotiations. it is jerry who has a propensity to take things personally. Stephen is a rock in these matters. the fact dak has yet to be signed indicates negotiations are going on as is to be epected. last year jerry got angry with zeke and made some reference to pollack. Stephen calmed the seas and the zeke deal was completed. throw in the Amari cooper deal, too.:)

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think Stephen has done anything wrong during the negotiations. it is jerry who has a propensity to take things personally. Stephen is a rock in these matters. the fact dak has yet to be signed indicates negotiations are going on as is to be epected. last year jerry got angry with zeke and made some reference to pollack. Stephen calmed the seas and the zeke deal was completed.
I’d agree Stephen is a calming force and influence but the fact Jerry can step in at any point and muddy the waters amplifies who still has the final say. And why we’re still vulnerable to Daddy Football Idiot Lol.

I have no doubt if there wasn’t pushback from the public opinion on over paying Dak , Jerry would have already met Daks demand heralding him as worth every penny.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't think Stephen has done anything wrong during the negotiations. it is jerry who has a propensity to take things personally. Stephen is a rock in these matters. the fact dak has yet to be signed indicates negotiations are going on as is to be epected. last year jerry got angry with zeke and made some reference to pollack. Stephen calmed the seas and the zeke deal was completed. throw in the Amari cooper deal, too.:)

The precedent that the Jones have set, of trying to stand a hard line on “how much we value a guy” until the last minute, will continue to hurt them. Players & reps now know that the Cowboys will make far and away their best offer at the deadline so why sign early?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just like with the Elliott cave in, Jerry knows at the very last moment he can still pull the trigger meeting Daks demands.

And publicly he will look like he’s attempting to save the season despite any pushback of overpaying.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The precedent that the Jones have set, of trying to stand a hard line on “how much we value a guy” until the last minute, will continue to hurt them. Players & reps now know that the Cowboys will make far and away their best offer at the deadline so why sign early?
Bingo!!

cern

Reaction score
I’d agree Stephen is a calming force and influence but the fact Jerry can step in at any point and muddy the waters amplifies who still has the final say. And why we’re still vulnerable to Daddy Football Idiot Lol.

I have no doubt if there wasn’t pushback from the public opinion on over paying Dak , Jerry would have already met Daks demand heralding him as worth every penny.
jerry has not done so in several years, including not giving tony the job back and allowing Stephen to cull dez from the ranks.

cern

Reaction score
given the last part of a negotiation is signing the deal, it can be said that every team in every sport makes the best deal in the end. hardly an epiphany. tank, zeke, cooper, zack, are all beneficiaries of deadline deals.

cern

Reaction score
What about Elliott last year?
what about it. jerry made a somewhat derogatory comment and stephen stepped in and shut him up. then went on and signed zeke to a good deal for the cowboys. and zeke didn't tank it in. he was still the best rb in the league last year. I realize some here will never get that it is stephen who makes the deals now, not jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
given the last part of a negotiation is signing the deal, it can be said that every team in every sport makes the best deal in the end. hardly an epiphany. tank, zeke, cooper, zack, are all beneficiaries of deadline deals.
I’d agree on the most part and why these contract negotiations dragging out are much to do about nothing until we get closer to the deadline.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
what about it. jerry made a somewhat derogatory comment and stephen stepped in and shut him up. then went on and signed zeke to a good deal for the cowboys. and zeke didn't tank it in. he was still the best rb in the league last year. I realize some here will never get that it is stephen who makes the deals now, not jerry.
When Jerry officially recognizes Stephen as GM with the final say then and only then will we recognize anyone but Jerry making the decisions. Until then Stephen is simply a stronger influence at best in the decision process. The rest is speculative opinion.

I think some fans just want to feel better that Jerry might not be the final word in Cowboys Football. .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A real HC has yet to be proven, as for worth that is in the eye of the evaluator. You get a full look on the tag with all the weapons, no SB no sign.

Again, you seem really slow to evaluate. Do you need to see a QB win a SB to tell if he is quality? Coach?

MM has proven himself already and then the short term results only underline that.

Dak has been here for 4 years. If you need another year then you just aren't too good at all this.

It was obvious with Dak his rookie year and the 3 years since then have only bolstered that evidence.

And he did all that with the bad coaching all around.

ondaedg

Reaction score
If I were Dak I would do the same thing and If I were the Cowboys I would sign the 4yr deal and move on. And anyone who attacks Dak's character must have forgotten the thousands of professional athletes who do the exact same thing every single day negotiating with owners, sponsors, business partners, agents etc etc. It's business and this negotiation is tiny compared to what billionaires fight over on a daily basis.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I’m completely over Dak. His salary demands should make it an easy decision. When you pay an average QB huge money, you end up like the Eagles and Rams. Both those teams are having a difficult time rounding out their rosters, and the Rams have had to release guys.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Personally, I am disappointed that he is all about the money. I guess in reality, I cant blame him for that, but I thought this process would be different. He is clearly trying to maximize EVERY dollar he can get now and in the future.

That being said, what do we do about his demands? Its pretty clear now that he will either accept the 35 million for 4 years or wants that 45 million tagged on for the 5th year. I think at the end of the day, if that 5th year came around, most of us would be more than happy to have paid that extra 10 million for another year. Dak will continue to improve and with MM I have a feeling this team is really going to take off. By then, Dak will be right outside the top 5 if not in there by that time.

Most likely Cooper and Zeke will be let go after another two years. That would free up 35 million.

Still, its a lot to ask for. I think we either do one of two things:

-Just go with the 4 year deal at 35 million per and start drafting and grooming a young QB for 4 years from now. And hopefully look to trade Dak and get something for him. This is NOT a bad plan. Especially if we devote the time to finding that young replacement and he is ready once the contract is up.

-Give into that 5th year, but simply pay him 45 million for that 5th year and don't make it guaranteed. So if we really want to keep him and we are in some kind of SB run then we have an option. If we can get them to agree to that.

I don't see any way that we should give in to this 5th year for 45 million. My only concern is Jerry. Will he take too long to groom a new guy or not do it at all?

Thoughts?

First off, just draft a QB and start grooming him? If only it were that easy. When do you draft the qb? How long does a qb need to be groomed? When is the last time that a stud QB(a current starting top qb) starting qb was drafted and "Groomed" from the bench? You arent getting a Danny White that sits on the bench.Steve Young will never again be sitting behind a Joe Montana and waiting his turn. Watson? not groomed. Mahomes? I guess that 1 season you could call "Grooming,". It just isnt easy to do, if it were, everyone would have their next starting qb sitting on the roster right now. So for me, that isnt realistic.

Honest opinion, I would pull the tag.... but Id wait till July to do it. Id have NO PROBLEM putting Dalton out there as our starter this year, and sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension for reasonable money. You telling me that Dalton couldnt do what Foles did? The rams damn near won a SB with Goff. Could Dalton do what Goff did? If Dak were Drew Brees, Mahomes, Rodgers... Id say hell yea, give him that 45 million in year 5 and be done with it. But the fact we have daily discussions about how good Dak is means he is NOT THAT MAN.

How many people would be debating about the greatness of Brees? Rodgers? Mahomes? Brady? Pretty much it would be universal agreement that those guys are franchise guys that we would all be ecstatic to have. But there is a huge rift in this forum amongst Cowboys fans on how good he is...to me, that means he aint worth that kind of money.

Have we ever seen a QB, or any player for that matter try to do this? Try to say, well, in 5 years contracts will be at point X, so I want to have that in my current deal, 5 years early?

Hey, Today we are putting our rental house on the market. Listing price is 360k. I think I will change that to 400k and tell the buyer that in 5 years the house will be worth that much, so I want that price today..... ugh...