What to do with Prescott and this contract

cern

Reaction score
When Jerry officially recognizes Stephen as GM with the final say then and only then will we recognize anyone but Jerry making the decisions. Until then Stephen is simply a stronger influence at best in the decision process. The rest is speculative opinion.

I think some fans just want to feel better that Jerry might not be the final word in Cowboys Football. .
at some point jerry will totally turn over the running of the club to Stephen. but stephen has publicly stated he does not want to be the general manager. best guess is he'd give that role to will mcclay for whom he has a lot of respect and takes his advice, for the betterment of the team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think it's Stephen Jones looking for any area at this point that he can consider a 'win'. He needs somewhere he can point to in order to say "see Daddy, I made them compromise!"

Because the fact is, at this point, Stephen has lost in every area of the recent negotiations he's made. First with Lawrence and then Elliott, and now with Dak too.

They heard his ridiculous first proposal and told him to go pound sand. And now a year later, the cost has gone from $25 million a year to $35 million a year - and then some.

The Jones boys have mishandled these negotiations - badly, and everything has gone the way that Prescott and his camp have hoped they would. He's stayed healthy and productive, and the quarterback market continues to rise. And there's a cap jump on the horizon and he and the agent are looking ahead to that next bite at the apple. Everything is working in their favor while the Cowboys choose to exert none of the leverage or opportunities they may have had.

Supposedly Cooper and Zeke we can get out after two more years with little hit to the cap. That is a win in my book.

cern

Reaction score
First off, just draft a QB and start grooming him? If only it were that easy. When do you draft the qb? How long does a qb need to be groomed? When is the last time that a stud QB(a current starting top qb) starting qb was drafted and "Groomed" from the bench? You arent getting a Danny White that sits on the bench.Steve Young will never again be sitting behind a Joe Montana and waiting his turn. Watson? not groomed. Mahomes? I guess that 1 season you could call "Grooming,". It just isnt easy to do, if it were, everyone would have their next starting qb sitting on the roster right now. So for me, that isnt realistic.

Honest opinion, I would pull the tag.... but Id wait till July to do it. Id have NO PROBLEM putting Dalton out there as our starter this year, and sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension for reasonable money. You telling me that Dalton couldnt do what Foles did? The rams damn near won a SB with Goff. Could Dalton do what Goff did? If Dak were Drew Brees, Mahomes, Rodgers... Id say hell yea, give him that 45 million in year 5 and be done with it. But the fact we have daily discussions about how good Dak is means he is NOT THAT MAN.

How many people would be debating about the greatness of Brees? Rodgers? Mahomes? Brady? Pretty much it would be universal agreement that those guys are franchise guys that we would all be ecstatic to have. But there is a huge rift in this forum amongst Cowboys fans on how good he is...to me, that means he aint worth that kind of money.

Have we ever seen a QB, or any player for that matter try to do this? Try to say, well, in 5 years contracts will be at point X, so I want to have that in my current deal, 5 years early?

Hey, Today we are putting our rental house on the market. Listing price is 360k. I think I will change that to 400k and tell the buyer that in 5 years the house will be worth that much, so I want that price today..... ugh...
good, sensible post. the cost of doing business in the nfl today precludes grooming qb's. they're thrown into the fire immediately and learn as they go.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m fine with 4 years, if he can’t get it done by year 3 then blow it all up and find a new stud QB in the draft.

This type of blank statement just hows how QB challenged you are. AS if making it or not making it is all on the QB's shoulders.

Guys like you don't even understand the basics of football. How do you know who to blame if the next 4 years haven't even played out yet?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
given the last part of a negotiation is signing the deal, it can be said that every team in every sport makes the best deal in the end. hardly an epiphany. tank, zeke, cooper, zack, are all beneficiaries of deadline deals.

Yet Wentz & Goff got extended when he had two years left on their deals.

Dallas tagged DLAW twice. Now tagged DAK.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
at some point jerry will totally turn over the running of the club to Stephen. but stephen has publicly stated he does not want to be the general manager. best guess is he'd give that role to will mcclay for whom he has a lot of respect and takes his advice, for the betterment of the team.
But you want to believe Stephen is running Cowboys Football making final personnel decisions?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First off, just draft a QB and start grooming him? If only it were that easy. When do you draft the qb? How long does a qb need to be groomed? When is the last time that a stud QB(a current starting top qb) starting qb was drafted and "Groomed" from the bench? You arent getting a Danny White that sits on the bench.Steve Young will never again be sitting behind a Joe Montana and waiting his turn. Watson? not groomed. Mahomes? I guess that 1 season you could call "Grooming,". It just isnt easy to do, if it were, everyone would have their next starting qb sitting on the roster right now. So for me, that isnt realistic.

Honest opinion, I would pull the tag.... but Id wait till July to do it. Id have NO PROBLEM putting Dalton out there as our starter this year, and sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension for reasonable money. You telling me that Dalton couldnt do what Foles did? The rams damn near won a SB with Goff. Could Dalton do what Goff did? If Dak were Drew Brees, Mahomes, Rodgers... Id say hell yea, give him that 45 million in year 5 and be done with it. But the fact we have daily discussions about how good Dak is means he is NOT THAT MAN.

How many people would be debating about the greatness of Brees? Rodgers? Mahomes? Brady? Pretty much it would be universal agreement that those guys are franchise guys that we would all be ecstatic to have. But there is a huge rift in this forum amongst Cowboys fans on how good he is...to me, that means he aint worth that kind of money.

Have we ever seen a QB, or any player for that matter try to do this? Try to say, well, in 5 years contracts will be at point X, so I want to have that in my current deal, 5 years early?

Hey, Today we are putting our rental house on the market. Listing price is 360k. I think I will change that to 400k and tell the buyer that in 5 years the house will be worth that much, so I want that price today..... ugh...

Never said any of that was easy. Heck, I even showed doubts in my post that it would even work. However, you have to do it.

That entire long post of yours was for nothing simply because you cant read or comprehend.

cern

Reaction score
Yet Wentz & Goff got extended when he had two years left on their deals.

Dallas tagged DLAW twice. Now tagged DAK.
yes, and the eagles and rams are, as someone just posted a little earlier, releasing players they can no longer afford due to the ridiculous amounts paid their qb's. signing guys early is another strategy, but not necessarily a good one. i'm old school business. don't make a deal until you have to. keep the money in your hands as long as possible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
good, sensible post. the cost of doing business in the nfl today precludes grooming qb's. they're thrown into the fire immediately and learn as they go.

Teams that don't plan ahead do that. Teams that don't have a quality starter do that.

Greenbay is a great example of how you should do it. New England as well.

Greenbay in fact just did it again. And as much flack as they are getting, its a very smart move.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Supposedly Cooper and Zeke we can get out after two more years with little hit to the cap. That is a win in my book.
So, does that basically limit our best window of opportunity with this core of support around Dak the next two years. This is when we should see the push to the next level?

cern

Reaction score
So, does that basically limit our best window of opportunity with this core of support around Dak the next two years. This is when we should see the push to the next level?
it doesn't mean they will be let go in 2 years. just that they could without being in cap hell should they be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
unquestionably. PERSONNEL DECISIONS.
That simply doesn’t mesh with the pecking order from our Pres and GM who has the final decision on Cowboys Football. I certainly haven’t seen any acknowledgement of Daddy turning over the reins.

This is something you’ve created in your mind. Which is fine. If you believe then it becomes factual to you.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This type of blank statement just hows how QB challenged you are. AS if making it or not making it is all on the QB's shoulders.

Guys like you don't even understand the basics of football. How do you know who to blame if the next 4 years haven't even played out yet?
How many years did it take Peyton Manning? Steve Young? Brees? Dan Fouts?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
it doesn't mean they will be let go in 2 years. just that they could without being in cap hell should they be.
I understand. Would you conclude then that the next two years is our best window of opportunity to take it to the next level with this supporting cast?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Never said any of that was easy. Heck, I even showed doubts in my post that it would even work. However, you have to do it.

That entire long post of yours was for nothing simply because you cant read or comprehend.
I comprehend just fine, I simply think the idea you have of drafting the qb and " Grooming him," (Whatever the hell grooming means" is total garbage.
Ill ask again, how many starting QBs get drafted to be "Groomed" and sit on the bench for a few years, then take over at some point in the future and then become top 10 QBs? Im sure there is a couple in that spot today... so lets say 3 out of 32 starting QBs fit that mold(im just pulling that out of my arse) that is 9.3%. You want to put the future of the Cowboys on a 9.3% gamble?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Teams that don't plan ahead do that. Teams that don't have a quality starter do that.

Greenbay is a great example of how you should do it. New England as well.

Greenbay in fact just did it again. And as much flack as they are getting, its a very smart move.
its a very smart move IF IT WORKS. This young kid GB just drafted could end up sucking, and it could force Rodgers to another team. If Rodgers pulls a manning and goes to play for another team and wins a SB, and the kid the pack just drafted is a bust(both totally possible) then how will drafting the kid be viewed? It will be viewed as one of the dumbest moves in recent history.

Hey, Im curious about something. Since Billy Boy up in NE is the consensus genius, best football mind ever... did he plan ahead?Is his starter ready to rock and roll with Brady gone?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I comprehend just fine, I simply think the idea you have of drafting the qb and " Grooming him," (Whatever the hell grooming means" is total garbage.
Ill ask again, how many starting QBs get drafted to be "Groomed" and sit on the bench for a few years, then take over at some point in the future and then become top 10 QBs? Im sure there is a couple in that spot today... so lets say 3 out of 32 starting QBs fit that mold(im just pulling that out of my arse) that is 9.3%. You want to put the future of the Cowboys on a 9.3% gamble?
Unfortunately the Cap era generally hasn’t provided for the time or opportunity to “ groom” QB’s as were done in previous eras.

Usually in Cap era the higher drafted QB’s start immediately usually more out of need. And probably why more have been bust this era combined with starting for awful teams.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
yes, and the eagles and rams are, as someone just posted a little earlier, releasing players they can no longer afford due to the ridiculous amounts paid their qb's.

Really, I must be crazy because I could have sworn that Philly signed a Slay to almost $17mil per & Hargrave at $13Mil & put in an offer for Clowney.