What to expect from Ezekiel Elliott in 2024

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He has nine starts in a six-year career and all but one of those came his rookie season.

I won't be surprised, though, if our plan for him is as the No. 2 back, especially if we're going to focus on inside zone running behind Smith, Beebe and Martin. Dowdle has some ability between the tackles, too, but he's not a power runner like Elliott and Freeman.

gimmesix

Reaction score
2023 Dowdle 89 carries, 361 yards, averaged 4.1 yards per carry. Now he needs to stay healthy and that has been an issue but he should be ok starting.
89 carries doesn't exactly say starting back. In fact, he has a total of 96 carries over three seasons and hasn't exactly been able to stay healthy even with that.

Maybe the team will actually start whichever back performs the best, but I'm sticking with Elliott being the starter until one of these guys who has much less NFL starting experience at it shows they can usurp him. Jerry talked about Elliott still being capable of being a No. 1 back when they signed him and I don't think that thought is going to change based on the other options we have.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
89 carries doesn't exactly say starting back. In fact, he has a total of 96 carries over three seasons and hasn't exactly been able to stay healthy even with that.

Maybe the team will actually start whichever back performs the best, but I'm sticking with Elliott being the starter until one of these guys who has much less NFL starting experience at it shows they can usurp him. Jerry talked about Elliott still being capable of being a No. 1 back when they signed him and I don't think that thought is going to change based on the other options we have.
I'm all for open competition

Buzzbait

Reaction score
By the time Zeke left, he was an overpaid master of 2yds and a cloud of dust. I hope our new additions to the OL might help that out some, but Zeke will never again be the same as he was when he first became a Cowboy. But as long as he's a Cowboy I'll root for him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Go look up the best seasons for Curtis Martin and John Riggins.. I think you will find that they both had their best years after age 30. Walter Payton was also still pretty productive after 30 and he had a lot more miles on his body than Zeke does at this age. Look at the run Marcus Allen had in KC after being left for dead in Oakland. Bettis had a similar resurgence in Pittsburgh. Point being, people need to quit acting like backs just forget how to play football because they hit a certain age.
Thank goodness Ronnie with the voice of reason people act like he's 36 years old or something he just turned 29 absolutely no reason if he is healthy and gets himself in prime shape that he can't run for 1100 yards this year.

I will add Ronnie along with the players you mentioned our own two Hall of Fame players emmitt Smith and Tony dorsett both were productive into their thirties and ran for over a thousand yards in seasons with less games.

It's all about how much he wants it or if he wants it does he want to just collect a paycheck and go out a punk or does he want to make an impact and go out like the other great running backs before him he has the perfect opportunity if he takes it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By the time Zeke left, he was an overpaid master of 2yds and a cloud of dust. I hope our new additions to the OL might help that out some, but Zeke will never again be the same as he was when he first became a Cowboy. But as long as he's a Cowboy I'll root for him.
Why do you have to lie?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Zeke was so bad we literally paid him to go away. I expect him to be even worse. I simply can not wrap my head around this level of dysfunction.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thank goodness Ronnie with the voice of reason people act like he's 36 years old or something he just turned 29 absolutely no reason if he is healthy and gets himself in prime shape that he can't run for 1100 yards this year.

I will add Ronnie along with the players you mentioned our own two Hall of Fame players emmitt Smith and Tony dorsett both were productive into their thirties and ran for over a thousand yards in seasons with less games.

It's all about how much he wants it or if he wants it does he want to just collect a paycheck and go out a punk or does he want to make an impact and go out like the other great running backs before him he has the perfect opportunity if he takes it.
I think Zeke is the kind of guy who will grab this opportunity by the horns and literally run with it. Dude has always displayed serious fire in the belly and has always been selfless on the field. You don't give up your body for the team the way he has and not have that kind of fire. He may not be "great" ever again but I feel fairly confident he will be "good." And that will be more than enough with our passing attack.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
What running back ever improved when they were old? OJ Anderson? Anyone else?

I think Zeke is done except as a short yardage guy.
I think Curtia Martin and Corey Dillion had aome of their best seasons when they got older. But you're right it usually doeant happen.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Curtia Martin and Corey Dillion had aome of their best seasons when they got older. But you're right it usually doeant happen.
I'm sticking with my prediction of 4.5 yards per carry for Elliott. I have no scientific basis for that prediction, but I thought it would be fun, especially since so many expect him to fall on his face.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm sticking with my prediction of 4.5 yards per carry for Elliott. I have no scientific basis for that prediction, but I thought it would be fun, especially since so many expect him to fall on his face.
Yeah if he's able to stay healthy your prediction is not out of realm of possibility. The only caveat is that if he gets a ton of short yardage and red zone carries it's going to bring his average down. But if he averages 3.7 ypc and converts >90% of short yardage chances and punches in 12-15 TDs I will be more than fine with it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I am expecting a huge year from Rico.........

Rico had a few games where he seemed like he could get the run game going if he had more snaps.

My main worry with him though is he can’t take the NFL pounding. So far… always getting hurt.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Has everyone forgotten Zeke’s last year with the Cowboys?

Pollard is out end of regular season and then the Playoffs, and Zeke has the chance to show the world he deserves to be the franchise back again and….. fails miserably. Like 2 yards/carry or less miserably.