What to expect from Ezekiel Elliott in 2024

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has everyone forgotten Zeke’s last year with the Cowboys?

Pollard is out end of regular season and then the Playoffs, and Zeke has the chance to show the world he deserves to be the franchise back again and….. fails miserably. Like 2 yards/carry or less miserably.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah if he's able to stay healthy your prediction is not out of realm of possibility. The only caveat is that if he gets a ton of short yardage and red zone carries it's going to bring his average down. But if he averages 3.7 ypc and converts >90% of short yardage chances and punches in 12-15 TDs I will be more than fine with it.
I think it's more likely that he starts strong and then limps to the finish line, like he did his last two years here. When those lower-body injuries start, it's tough to avoid them. He started both 2021 and 2022 like gangbusters, despite how some of his detractors portray him, but then knee injuries sapped his mobility and strength. I do not know what happened in New England, but he came in both of his last years with us in "the best shape of his life" and looked it early on. It's not older players' fault that the body starts breaking down.

Maybe they can avoid the breakdown with a smaller workload, but I'm still expecting him to get 12 to 15 touches per game.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think Zeke is the kind of guy who will grab this opportunity by the horns and literally run with it. Dude has always displayed serious fire in the belly and has always been selfless on the field. You don't give up your body for the team the way he has and not have that kind of fire. He may not be "great" ever again but I feel fairly confident he will be "good." And that will be more than enough with our passing attack.
I am truly hoping you are correct and he makes everyone eat their words he has the ability it's all a matter of being healthy and training hard and preparing himself mentally and physically for the task at hand.

It flat out has to be important enough to him for him to sacrifice the time it takes to prepare.
You watch guys like Walter Payton Adrian Peterson their preparation how they took care of their bodies that's what he needs to do it the stage of his career to be successful but it can be done.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
What was zeke's YPC? in his last year here?
3.8. :omg:
In 2016 he had 5.1 YPC. Since then his YPC has dropped nearly every year.
Last year was a paltry 3.5 YPC.
I don't know about you, but I watched every one of his Cowboy games. The last year he was here, I saw plenty of those 2yds and a cloud of dust runs. Maybe that's why the Cowboys parted ways with him? In fact maybe that's why the Patriots sent him back?

What to expect? I don't know, but like I said before, as long as he's a Cowboy I'll root for him, but Zeke's better days are long gone.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about you, but I watched every one of his Cowboy games. The last year he was here, I saw plenty of those 2yds and a cloud of dust runs. Maybe that's why the Cowboys parted ways with him? In fact maybe that's why the Patriots sent him back?

What to expect? I don't know, but like I said before, as long as he's a Cowboy I'll root for him, but Zeke's better days are long gone.
But of course his better days are long gone. We used him up hard. I get people hate 'im. Fine. But lying about stats to justify it...well...whatever it takes I guess.

While he isn't gonna 2016 help this team...he will be helpful in a lot of situations. In the meantime, I hope we're are looking for our next 2016 Zeke.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Wasn’t talking about entire season. His last few years he started out hot then wore down. Love Zeke in his prime but RBs take a beating.

Referring to his last year with us toward the end and was having to carry more load with Pollard out, which he’s walking into same situation unless one of these unknown RBs gels.

Game logs are pretty depressing near the end of his career here. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00/gamelog/2022/advanced/

Think it’s fools gold, not much left in the tank once the season grind begins, but I’ll be thrilled if I’m wrong.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Maybe no it was!! Two yard runs caused us to pass so much

shabazz

Reaction score
Go Zeke! ........ I never wanted him gone anyway
He's a Cowboy and we pull for every Cowboys players success. My expectations are lower not only because he's got a lot of mileage but the fact that his production should match his lower salary.

For me, the most important part of him is his veteran experience and the ability to protect Dak with our now less experienced Oline

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He's a Cowboy and we pull for every Cowboys players success. My expectations are lower not only because he's got a lot of mileage but the fact that his production should match his lower salary.

For me, the most important part of him is his veteran experience and the ability to protect Dak with our now less experienced Oline
It's not like the line was all that great the last couple of years man. Steele was a shell of himself coming off the knee injury. Tyron, while still very good, was no longer a brick wall at LT and two years ago Tyler had to start at LT after Tyron went down. Meaning that if Guyton starts we will have a rookie LT for the second time in three season. And DGMS on Biadacz and his penchant for getting walked back into Dak's lap. Beebe needs to be a significant upgrade to him. I think Zack will be better with an actual training camp and Steele will be better another year removed from the ACL injury. Tyler Smith should continue to improve to the point of becoming dominant. This line could be a sight better than last year and if they are Zeke will put up 65-70 yards a game without too much trouble.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Wasn’t talking about entire season. His last few years he started out hot then wore down. Love Zeke in his prime but RBs take a beating.

Referring to his last year with us toward the end and was having to carry more load with Pollard out, which he’s walking into same situation unless one of these unknown RBs gels.

Game logs are pretty depressing near the end of his career here. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00/gamelog/2022/advanced/

Think it’s fools gold, not much left in the tank once the season grind begins, but I’ll be thrilled if I’m wrong.
You left out "while playing in a knee brace and the offensive line in shambles." We had 41 year old Jason Peters out there starting games man!!! There is no refuting Zeke's production took a dive his last two seasons in Dallas. But I think it's pertinent to examine the why. The knee injury cost him his burst which, along with his power, was what made him special. I believe his playing 12 games with that knee hurt in 2021 caused the injury to bleed into 2022. He looked fully healed in New England but he didn't get a lot of opportunities to showcase his talents on such a horrible team with such a horrible line and such horrible QB play. I think a lot of people are going to be "thrilled to be wrong" about him this year.

shabazz

Reaction score
It's not like the line was all that great the last couple of years man. Steele was a shell of himself coming off the knee injury. Tyron, while still very good, was no longer a brick wall at LT and two years ago Tyler had to start at LT after Tyron went down. Meaning that if Guyton starts we will have a rookie LT for the second time in three season. And DGMS on Biadacz and his penchant for getting walked back into Dak's lap. Beebe needs to be a significant upgrade to him. I think Zack will be better with an actual training camp and Steele will be better another year removed from the ACL injury. Tyler Smith should continue to improve to the point of becoming dominant. This line could be a sight better than last year and if they are Zeke will put up 65-70 yards a game without too much trouble.
The Browns defensive line will test your theory....week 1

MyFairLady

Reaction score
IMHO this narrative is so wrong. In todays NFL there is absolutely nothing worse for the health of a QB than an RB who is not a threat out of the backfield. This just reinforces the predictability that has caused us problems over and over and over. For three years Zeke was a god. Then he fell off a cliff. Good teams took advantage of Zeke and punished us for playing him. Resigning him is absolute madness and has nothing to do with football.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Do not get me wrong ....... I do not expect 2016 Zeke.

I just expect a hard nosed football player at the rb position, who gives it his all every play ....... we did not have that last year.