Twitter: What to make of a corner with 11 INTs and most yards allowed?

bewp7

Reaction score
i always say it with diggs

corner back is the hardest positon on defense by far (idk why any one would even want to play cb!) and he was a wr until he was at alabama

he is very raw i do not worry about him at all

JBS

Reaction score
It just means he’s talented but freelances too much and needs more consistency and film study

this is absolutely wrong. How can you watch every game and say this?

“Diggs freelances too much” give us some example of this freelance play that you are talking about. Listen, Diggs deserves criticism. He isn’t perfect. But let’s not make things up. He gives up yards after the catch bc he’s not willing to tackle. He also has given up a few deep balls down field - not bc he’s freelancing.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Did Diggs get credit for that garbage time touchdown by the Saints, if so the passes against metric needs to chang. I only remember two games were Diggs was beaten badly consistently, Denver and San Diego. I think he gives up a lot a yards when he playing zone coverage but he seams to excel in man to man. The guy is the number 2 cornerback in the league next to Ramsey by my eye test. With the return of Lawrence and Gregory you really need to careful targeting him.

JBS

Reaction score
Did Diggs get credit for that garbage time touchdown by the Saints, if so the passes against metric needs to chang. I only remember two games were Diggs was beaten badly consistently, Denver and San Diego. I think he gives up a lot a yards when he playing zone coverage but he seams to excel in man to man. The guy is the number 2 cornerback in the league next to Ramsey by my eye test. With the return of Lawrence and Gregory you really need to careful targeting him.

great memory good sir. Absolutely he did. 70 yards and a touchdown against him. It’s little things like this that add up against his “stats” - his coverage is significantly better than he gets credit for. However, he’s an atrocious tackler and that’s why he has a reputation that isn’t accurate.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I don't think all those yards are on him. Just because he ran over to where the play ended, does not make it his man to cover.

Exactly, like when they gave up the 80 yard bomb against the Pats and Diggs moved to avoid Kazee crashing in, then Kazee completely whiffs. The safeties have not been good to Trevon this year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This is not a shot at Diggs as it doesn't even seem right to me that he's given up the most yardage. I don't know how you can accomplish that without it being painfully obvious on the field. He doesn't seem to me like a completion waiting to happen. Not at all.

But it's unacceptable to give up the most yards.

11 interceptions is also undeniable. That is special.

It's the oddest year I've seen from a Cowboy and I honestly don't know how to feel about it.

It’s hard to feel strongly without context. I suspect a lot of the yards were given up during garbage time where he may have been fishing for more ints.

But a lot of the 11 ints have most certainly been game changing. So whether it’s true or not, I’ll take him

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Diggs is certainly prone to double moves here and there, but he is by and large really good when the defensive line gets pressure on the quarterback. When he is left to cover for too long then his gambling nature leaves him a little more open to big plays.

As long as DLaw, Gregory and Parsons are putting pressure on the QB then Diggs is going to continue getting interceptions and we will be treated to more performances like we have seen these past few weeks.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is not a shot at Diggs as it doesn't even seem right to me that he's given up the most yardage. I don't know how you can accomplish that without it being painfully obvious on the field. He doesn't seem to me like a completion waiting to happen. Not at all.

But it's unacceptable to give up the most yards.

11 interceptions is also undeniable. That is special.

It's the oddest year I've seen from a Cowboy and I honestly don't know how to feel about it.
How is it unacceptable to be on your way to the number 1 or 2 position in the league? I find it funny to worry, complain, and troll during a historically good season.

Reactions: CWR

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
first of all great thread and great discussion.

Like many on here, I simply cannot believe the accuracy of the stat. I get the INT v big play give ups but I don't actually see that. I can only really remember the NE issue and the big play down the middle last night when both had a feel of "after you" when Diggs and the safety (Kazee both times I believe) were not on the same page.

There's been a lot of Byron Jones negativity on this and I don't subscribe that, he was really good at stopping completions AND TDs for us. Turning to Diggs, I don't see the boom or bust whatsoever........I'm thinking back on the season how many TDs he gave up and really struggle. Yes against WFT 2 weeks ago but that was hardly poor coverage.

For me, he passes the INT test, he passes the TDs given up test, he passes the "eye test" too. I really need to see where these yards stats come from as its a head scratcher.

Is he a shut down corner.......no. But he's a lot closer to being a shut down that a sieve that's for sure.

I like a good stat, I really do but this just shows when stats are plain wrong - why..........

poll 31 other GMs in the league and ask if they'd want "Mr give up mega-yards Diggs on their team right now" - how many out of 31 would say no thanks?

Reaction score
You take away 11 INTs and your left with a guy that has given up the most receiving yards this season.

That wouldn't be considered the worst CB in the league this year?

I think you just like to argue.
It goes both ways. You take away the yards given up and you are left with 11 picks. That makes him better then Deion.

He is neither of these 2 extremes.

He has played a lot better these past 5 or 6 games even though his interception rate has gone down. He is slowly turning into a shut down corner.

He is not there yet. But with his talent he will get there very soon

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
There's no universally accepted metric to grade cornerback play, so I don't know why people get so hung up on the "yards allowed" stat. I don't see how any CB in the league could have produced anything more impactful than 11 turnovers.

loublue22

Reaction score
That deep ball last night is a good example. He gets beat off the line but recovers, and is stride for stride a step behind, looking at the ball. The safety sprints back and runs right into the back of the receiver, and basically shields Diggs from making a play on the ball. Technically those yards are on Diggs, but really the safety screwed the play up. Not saying he's Deion, but it's important to see the full picture.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That deep ball last night is a good example. He gets beat off the line but recovers, and is stride for stride a step behind, looking at the ball. The safety sprints back and runs right into the back of the receiver, and basically shields Diggs from making a play on the ball. Technically those yards are on Diggs, but really the safety screwed the play up. Not saying he's Deion, but it's important to see the full picture.

Yeah Diggs has had a couple of those instances this year where he has pulled up thinking that the safety is going to make the play only to watch him give up the play. That long TD against New England was an even better example. If he goes ahead and makes a play on the ball that play never happens. You really gotta watch the games and not the stupid PFF numbers..

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I'm actually going to double down............there's times when Diggs in my opinion needs to be MORE AGRESSIVE in his play which suits his strengths.

As a football fan (soccer for you lot), a high ball is often contested and the defender (or goalkeeper) just needs to clear anything in his path - when I played the game, that went with a shout of "MY BALL" at the top of my voice. I think Diggs need to be less passive in some of these instances and take command when more that one player is tracking a ball in the air. Last night was a prime example with ball over the middle, it was in the air for a lonnngggg time and for me, use your skills Diggs, don't leave to the safety with inferior hands, go get the thing..........my ball!

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Yeah Diggs has had a couple of those instances this year where he has pulled up thinking that the safety is going to make the play only to watch him give up the play. That long TD against New England was an even better example. If he goes ahead and makes a play on the ball that play never happens. You really gotta watch the games and not the stupid PFF numbers..

Just posted the same opinion at the same time Ronnie!