What Trevon Diggs reminds us again about drafting

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah but Byron Jones was a great player for us lol. He contribute despite poor coaching. Byron Jones is not the guy to make a example out of....maybe Mo Claiborne?
actually hes correct hes using the eye test example vs real football iq in drafts. MO had all the talent in the world just got hurt a lot, and playing while hurt and stated getting burned hurt his confidence. Like some qb who got sacked too much early and never recovered ie Carr..

truly Mo was also better DB then BJ sorry man BJ was athletic and could cover but lacked real football instincts..

Instincts was this draft Parsons, Gholston, Osa, cox, etc etc all seem to not just be athletic but just have that feel for the game..we have been lacking that Jsmith is an example freakish athletic build got away wit it in college had the injury but now that he needed to depend on reading and reacting quicker instead of using his speed and athleticism, he was exposed..

no matter how slow Diggs will get with age his instincts will carry him , his student of the game pure football drive is why hes so good..he is seeing routes as the ball is snapped ..BJ was never that ...

75boyz

Reaction score
Was always beyond confused over how Cowboy corners never seemed to get picks. Plasticman and you Bob, did a few posts in the past detailing how poor the lack of picks by corners had been over a couple of decades or more and how it related to overall defensive performance and team wins. Along with sacks.
Byron did nothing to cure that lack of picks prob.
Enter Trevon Diggs.
And even equally as compelling is how FINALLY the historically bad second round of this organization has produced this gem.
Hope this year's second rd draftee corner can follow in Diggs' foot steps also.

jmo

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
With the overall 27th pick in the first round of the 2015 draft, the Cowboys drafted defensive back Byron Jones. He was considered an “athletic freak” from his combine performance including his 4.43 speed and his world record for standing broad-jump with a leap of 12-feet, 3-inches. Remember the video of Jones jumping over a car? He’s athleticism was off the charts.

Five years later, after not re-signing Byron Jones to a second contract and losing him to the Dolphins in Free agency, we drafted Trevon Diggs with the 51st pick in the draft in the second round. He did not have the “measurables” that Byron Jones had in the combine.

But who is a better football player- Diggs or Jones? Let’s look at the comparisons:
  • Jones has 4 career INTs in 98 games, and is in his 7th NFL seasons.
  • Diggs has 9 INTs in 17 games in his 2nd year (he missed 4 games last yr with a foot injury)
  • Jones was a combine “freak” who was pretty good at football.
  • Diggs is an outstanding football player- first.
Reminder for future drafts: Draft great football players who may also have great measureables. Not the other way around.
Nice

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
actually hes correct hes using the eye test example vs real football iq in drafts. MO had all the talent in the world just got hurt a lot, and playing while hurt and stated getting burned hurt his confidence. Like some qb who got sacked too much early and never recovered ie Carr..

truly Mo was also better DB then BJ sorry man BJ was athletic and could cover but lacked real football instincts..

Instincts was this draft Parsons, Gholston, Osa, cox, etc etc all seem to not just be athletic but just have that feel for the game..we have been lacking that Jsmith is an example freakish athletic build got away wit it in college had the injury but now that he needed to depend on reading and reacting quicker instead of using his speed and athleticism, he was exposed..

no matter how slow Diggs will get with age his instincts will carry him , his student of the game pure football drive is why hes so good..he is seeing routes as the ball is snapped ..BJ was never that ...
I mean we can sit here and talk about the things Byron lacked but he was a All Pro and should've racked up more if he didn't spend so many years playing safety.

You can't convince me that Byron Jones was a bad pick.

If Byron was out there with Diggs this secondary would be as good if not better.

On what planet do you justify the Mo pick but discuss his football instincts? What on earth did Mo show you in the league?

willia451

Reaction score
The sad fact of the matter is the coaching in Dallas since Bill Parcells left has been a rat's cage of internecine warfare, incompetence, and downright fraud. It's hard to believe the franchise survived it.

Everything that happened during that era should be stricken from the record, tossed into a cannister, launched into space, and obliterated with atomics.

I don't even want to think about it.

I'm sorry about what happened to Byron. And Romo. And Witten. And all the rest. But I'm not surprised.

We were being run like a corporation. And not like a football team.

But with Big Fat Mike and Co. moving in, things are changing. And obviously for the better.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I mean we can sit here and talk about the things Byron lacked but he was a All Pro and should've racked up more if he didn't spend so many years playing safety.

You can't convince me that Byron Jones was a bad pick.

If Byron was out there with Diggs this secondary would be as good if not better.

On what planet do you justify the Mo pick but discuss his football instincts? What on earth did Mo show you in the league?
we arent going to hes long gone..BJ left because he was overrated and now overpaid. We have too many of those to fit another..LOL
he good not great,,

not a bad pick but for sure made the right decision to let him walk..yup..Jerry gets lucky every now and then,.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we arent going to hes long gone..BJ left because he was overrated and now overpaid. We have too many of those to fit another..LOL
he good not great,,

not a bad pick but for sure made the right decision to let him walk..yup..Jerry gets lucky every now and then,.
This has nothing to do about whether or not we should let him walk lol. We all know we should've let him walk...though if all they were going to do was spend that money on Collins, Jaylon and Lawrence....probably would've rather kept Byron knowing what I know now. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This shows you the silliness of interceptions as the sole method to judge CBs. Jones was a better CB than Claiborne.
I mean it truly is.....granted, I'll say for Diggs he's showing both. He's showing solid coverage ability and the knack for getting interceptions. But yeah you have to be careful in gauging how good someone is by interceptions.

Probably unfair to Mo because it was awhile ago but I rarely remember being like "WOW what a great play on the ball" when talking about Mo's picks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He could also shut guys down in a contract year

Pay the guys that are leaders, that make plays. Guys with swag on defense. Difference maker. I dont consider Jones a difference maker. He had a couple years of good coverage.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But everyone isn't a playmaker. Everyone has a role on the team. You're talking about a former All Pro with this team. You think this team would be WORSE if it had Byron Jones instead of Anthony Brown? Yeah......no.

Cant afford both. Moving on from Jones, and replacing him with a real leader and play maker in Diggs. It should be obvious by now. If its not for you, I cant help that.

No doubt the Dolphins are regretting the signing.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean it truly is.....granted, I'll say for Diggs he's showing both. He's showing solid coverage ability and the knack for getting interceptions. But yeah you have to be careful in gauging how good someone is by interceptions.

Probably unfair to Mo because it was awhile ago but I rarely remember being like "WOW what a great play on the ball" when talking about Mo's picks.

Agreed. This is like the guys who claimed Ramsey couldn't play CB in the NFL because he didn't have a lot of interceptions in college.

Diggs is a complete CB - defend WRs tightly and make plays on the ball. Jones lacked the hands Diggs has but could defend a WR. Claiborne? Was just blah at both.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I also like the player. But not the 6th overall pick. He should have been a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I saw that his college film and it wasn't good. His speed and agility was an issue. He certainly wasn't a shutdown corner.

LSU had an embarrassment of riches then. Heck, their best player was Tyrann Mathieu, not Claiborne. And Honey Badger was selected in the 3rd round.
Ehhhh now hold on now you're going too far lol. Mo was a legit first rounder and top 10 pick. If the Cowboys didn't pick him someone else would've and early. He was widely considered the best corner in the draft.

Mathieu was very good in college but let's remember that he had some issues off the field that hurt his stock and he was considered undersized as a corner. That was why he was a 3rd round pick.

nobody

Reaction score
The lesson here = scout well and be lucky.

Exactly. Show me a team that succeeds in every draft at every draft spot picking quality players every time and I'll show you a team that doesn't exist.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cant afford both. Moving on from Jones, and replacing him with a real leader and play maker in Diggs. It should be obvious by now. If its not for you, I cant help that.

No doubt the Dolphins are regretting the signing.
Man what are you even talking about? You're moving goal posts. Nobody is commenting about re-signing him. Stay on topic. You said he lacked "competitiveness and toughness". This thread is about discussing DRAFTING. Has nothing to do about who you re-sign man pay attention damn......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Diggs looking like a once in a generation player.

Definitely lucky as hell.
Yeah because its the same argument as the Dak argument. If Cowboys had their choice of QB in that draft they probably pick Wentz or Paxton Lynch over Dak. Same here....they probably chose Henderson over Diggs if they could've.

The Natural

Reaction score
Good post, tape doesn’t lie. I was fine with Diggs in the first round, had no idea CeeDee would slide. He checked off all the boxes on tape with his ball skills, coverage, and athletic ability. Byron’s tape didnt really hit like that.