What Trevon Diggs reminds us again about drafting

eromeopolk

Reaction score
With the overall 27th pick in the first round of the 2015 draft, the Cowboys drafted defensive back Byron Jones. He was considered an “athletic freak” from his combine performance including his 4.43 speed and his world record for standing broad-jump with a leap of 12-feet, 3-inches. Remember the video of Jones jumping over a car? He’s athleticism was off the charts.

Five years later, after not re-signing Byron Jones to a second contract and losing him to the Dolphins in Free agency, we drafted Trevon Diggs with the 51st pick in the draft in the second round. He did not have the “measurables” that Byron Jones had in the combine.

But who is a better football player- Diggs or Jones? Let’s look at the comparisons:
  • Jones has 4 career INTs in 98 games, and is in his 7th NFL seasons.
  • Diggs has 9 INTs in 17 games in his 2nd year (he missed 4 games last yr with a foot injury)
  • Jones was a combine “freak” who was pretty good at football.
  • Diggs is an outstanding football player- first.
Reminder for future drafts: Draft great football players who may also have great measureables. Not the other way around.
Bryon Jones was not a Pro Bowler until the scheme was changed, Kris Richard became co DC, and the stopped moving him between S and CB.

You have to play your young players to build a great defense see Tony Tolbert taking over from Ed Too Tall Jones. Jimmy Johnson could have played Jones more for fan support but played all those young defensive players including Tolbert that paid immediate dividends the next year being one game and an Aikman injury from the playoffs in 1990.

You see this defense play well because its young, fast and the DC is scheming correctly to maximize what young players do best..."see ball get ball."

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is no doubt that keeping Jones would have been better than keeping Jaylon. Collins looked like a good signing , but his stock has took a massive hit these last two years. DLaw is good player that was resigned to an elite contract. He is definitely overpaid considering his time missed due to injuries. The injuries wouldn’t have been so bad if would have had the surgeries early in the offseason instead of waiting until the recovery caused him to miss regular season games. His infamous holdout was one of the most selfish tactics that I have ever seen in contract negotiations. I don’t think I can ever forgive him for that.
I don't blame him for it though. Its a grimy game and this front office didn't give a damn about Law getting hurt. They franchise tagged him and did it again with Dak. Its a dirty game both sides.