What Type Of Offense Do You Expect This Season?

Reaction score
A. Passing first team.
B. Balanced
C. Run first team.

What type of offense do you expect? I would hope to see a balanced offense. Don't wanna put too much pressure on Romo especially considering the fact he's coming off injury and it's no secret the offensive line isn't the best. It's average at best. More balanced offense = Less interceptions. Besides I always believe when you have a guy like Jones in the backfield who is capable of taking it to the house on any given play you should try to run more.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Garrett wants a balanced offense.

I do think we are going to see much more of a short passing game this year than we had seen previously with Garrett as OC. He now has a line with good mobility and RBs and TEs that are excellent receivers.

I also suspect that we are going to see less passes overall to WRs from Romo than in years past but more of those throws are going to be intermediate and deep due to space that will be created from the running game and short passing game. The other key to this will be the pass protection afforded by the OL.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
That's a hard question to answer, but I would bet that Garrett will use what ever the opposing defense gives us.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Balanced with a lean toward passing
I also think it will be ranked in the top 5-6.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
JG wants to attack the entire field. Putting horizontal and vertical pressure on the defense. I really dont think he cares if he does that with a run or pass. A swing pass isn't much different to him than a pitch out

He did show more interest last year in power running so perhaps that will change this season.

LongSnapper

Reaction score
I dont expect a balanced attack ....how about that? I expect that there will be a lot of redzone trouble and unless we find a reliably accurate place kicker we are gonna be fairly close to what we saw last year ....you are what you are

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
We will still pass the ball more than we run it. That's just who we are.

With the improved athleticism on the line, it increases the amount of plays we can call, and how we can run them. Romo is a quarterback who excells when on the move outside of the pocket. Well with an athletic offensive line we can call more bootlegs, waggles, etc.

We're a passing team. But we will be a more efficient on offense in 2011.

However I still think we will struggle near the goal line, and our kicking situation is downright awful. We better have plenty of big plays on the cusp of the red zone, because we will need to score TD's on the reg in order for us to seriously compete.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Pass first. Romo will have his 4,000 yards but I see Felix finally getting his 1,000.

So pass first but more use of one main running back.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo;4049010 said:
I am pretty sure that Garrett wants a balanced offense.

I do think we are going to see much more of a short passing game this year than we had seen previously with Garrett as OC. He now has a line with good mobility and RBs and TEs that are excellent receivers.

I also suspect that we are going to see less passes overall to WRs from Romo than in years past but more of those throws are going to be intermediate and deep due to space that will be created from the running game and short passing game. The other key to this will be the pass protection afforded by the OL.

I agree.

Passing wins games, but running improves the effectivness of your passing game.

I also have never seen a QB injured while handing the ball off to a RB. And since ours, like most teams season comes to an end with a season ending injury to our starting QB, I'd like to see more runs.

I'm starting to get a warm and fuzzy feeling about our OL.

I'll get more specific.......

50/50 run pass ratio. And in today's NFL, that's a heavy run percentage.

Lots of screens of every type. Our OL is looking more mobile and nothing hurts a blitz happy team more than effective use of screens.

So with a commitment to running the ball and calling a fair number of screens, the percentage of blitzes we face and hits Romo takes should be down.

I like the 12 formation for more than half our plays and 3 WRs for most of the rest. We don't have a good FB, so why have him on the field all that often.

I also want to see more down field passing to Dez and Miles because I prefer Romo in the deep 7-9 step drop back.

You don't ever get passes batted down at the LOS with passes traveling 20 yards down field.

Romo's excellent pocket presence, scambling ability and ability to throw on the move come into play more often out of deeper drop backs.

And when we do go 2-3 step quick slants, it will be more effective, since we use it less.

RS12

Reaction score
A- it is a passing league. Pack had no running game last year.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sonnyboy;4049127 said:
I agree.

Passing wins games, but running improves the effectivness of your passing game.

I also have never seen a QB injured while handing the ball off to a RB. And since ours, like most teams season comes to an end with a season ending injury to our starting QB, I'd like to see more runs.

I'm starting to get a warm and fuzzy feeling about our OL.

I'll get more specific.......

50/50 run pass ratio. And in today's NFL, that's a heavy run percentage.

Lots of screens of every type. Our OL is looking more mobile and nothing hurts a blitz happy team more than effective use of screens.

So with a commitment to running the ball and calling a fair number of screens, the percentage of blitzes we face and hits Romo takes should be down.

I like the 12 formation for more than half our plays and 3 WRs for most of the rest. We don't have a good FB, so why have him on the field all that often.

I also want to see more down field passing to Dez and Miles because I prefer Romo in the deep 7-9 step drop back.

You don't ever get passes batted down at the LOS with passes traveling 20 yards down field.

Romo's excellent pocket presence, scambling ability and ability to throw on the move come into play more often out of deeper drop backs.

And when we do go 2-3 step quick slants, it will be more effective, since we use it less.

Do you realize how rarely those are called in the NFL? I would venture to guess that 80% of pass plays are a 3 or 5 step drop. 7-9? That's a REAL deep drop. I don't think I've ever seen a 9 step drop. Even 7's are kind of rare, unless it was the 07 Pats.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4049115 said:
We will still pass the ball more than we run it. That's just who we are.

With the improved athleticism on the line, it increases the amount of plays we can call, and how we can run them. Romo is a quarterback who excells when on the move outside of the pocket. Well with an athletic offensive line we can call more bootlegs, waggles, etc.

We're a passing team. But we will be a more efficient on offense in 2011.

However I still think we will struggle near the goal line, and our kicking situation is downright awful. We better have plenty of big plays on the cusp of the red zone, because we will need to score TD's on the reg in order for us to seriously compete.

Great post. Bootlegs, waggles........I'm liking it. But they work better when you're running the ball well.

I hope and believe we will run the ball better. Especially in goaline situations. If not, Dez and Bryant are going to have to come up huge for us in those spots.

cml750

Reaction score
An offense that passes more than it runs. Teams have to pass to win these days and fortunately we are good at it. I expect a top 5 offense with 55 - 60% pass and 40 - 45% run.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4049130 said:
Do you realize how rarely those are called in the NFL? I would venture to guess that 80% of pass plays are a 3 or 5 step drop. 7-9? That's a REAL deep drop. I don't think I've ever seen a 9 step drop. Even 7's are kind of rare, unless it was the 07 Pats.

OK lets call it 6-8. BTW I still see a good bit of that. We do it now.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sonnyboy;4049134 said:
OK lets call it 6-8. BTW I still see a good bit of that. We do it now.

Drops are never an even number. 1,3,5, and 7. That would feel very odd for a QB to do an even step drop, as they would be throwing off their front foot.

5 and 7 steps are the deepest drops you're going to see.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4049139 said:
Drops are never an even number. 1,3,5, and 7. That would feel very odd for a QB to do an even step drop, as they would be throwing off their front foot.

5 and 7 steps are the deepest drops you're going to see.

OK 7!

That's what I'd like to see more of in the passing game because I think it works to some of our strengths while covering a few weaknesses.

Strengths:

Dez and Miles. They're going to be a great combo and longer developing routes can only work in their favor.

Romo is at his best on the move. With the deeper drops will come more opportunities to scamble for yards or throw on the move against defenses who's coverages have broken down.

Free and Smith are more quick and athletic than strong. I like them blocking for the deeper drops. Bull rushing is less effective and was is effective will play to their strengths.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sonnyboy;4049145 said:
OK 7!

That's what I'd like to see more of in the passing game because I think it works to some of our strengths while covering a few weaknesses.

Strengths:

Dez and Miles. They're going to be a great combo and longer developing routes can only work in their favor.

Romo is at his best on the move. With the deeper drops will come more opportunities to scamble for yards or throw on the move against defenses who's coverages have broken down.

Free and Smith are more quick and athletic than strong. I like them blocking for the deeper drops. Bull rushing is less effective and was is effective will play to their strengths.

I'm fine with deeper drops this year such as the 7 since we have an improved Oline that should give Romo more time, hopefully, as you said.

The problem in the past, is we didn't have a good enough Oline to hold their blocks on the 7 step to allow the receivers to get down the field and out of their routes.

While Romo is better on the move, calling 7 steps with deep routes also forces him to hold the ball longer, which can result in more hits. 7 steps are a bigger payoff, but also a bigger risk.

I'm perfectly fine with a 7 step and deep routes in certain occassions, but calling a majority of 7 step drops gets your QB killed, ala the Mike Martz offense.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4049150 said:
I'm fine with deeper drops this year such as the 7 since we have an improved Oline that should give Romo more time, hopefully, as you said.

The problem in the past, is we didn't have a good enough Oline to hold their blocks on the 7 step to allow the receivers to get down the field and out of their routes.

While Romo is better on the move, calling 7 steps with deep routes also forces him to hold the ball longer, which can result in more hits. 7 steps are a bigger payoff, but also a bigger risk.

I'm perfectly fine with a 7 step and deep routes in certain occassions, but calling a majority of 7 step drops gets your QB killed, ala the Mike Martz offense.

This is all true. And I do expect better OL play.

The 7 step drop puts more pressure on the OL and Romo. Not sold on the OL but I am on Romo. I'd prefer the pass blocking breakdowns to occur on the 7 step drops for a few reasons.

Romo can more easily see it coming and has more room to move out of harms way.

Deeper drop = larger pocket and that makes it harder for the OL to hold their blocks which of course they need to do a second longer because of the deeper drop.

So yes it's more likely that a rusher defeats his man a second too soon, but like I said, Romo is more likely to see him and have room to evade.

Now we have the very enviable scenario of Romo moving around where he's most dangerous.