What Type Of Offense Do You Expect This Season?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4049476 said:
This.

Garrett is a QB first, a disciple of Jimmy Johnson's second, and fond of points third. Add that up with how the NFL rules favor passing and we're going to be missing a few kitchen sinks that end up on the field.

I don't want to see us go run heavy until we're at the end of the third, up by 10-14 points, and have the ball at their 35 with first and 10.
That and our personnel to pull it off are exactly why I think we will be a wide open aerial assault with ground support. I expect to see throws to the RBs. I expect to see some running. But we will stack up yards and points upon passing.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Hailmary;4049336 said:
I think he'll want to replicate the offensive philosophy from his playing days w/ the cowboys, i.e. pass first and grab the lead and work the clock and the opponents defense w/ a steady dosage of running plays. Don't think we have the personnel for this yet tho.

This ^^^^^^^^.......................

Galian Beast

Reaction score
There is only one tandem of QB-RB who are in the top 10 at their position in terms of production by yards.

Atlanta's Matt Ryan and Michael Turner.

Ryan had 3,705 yard passing, Turner had 1,371 rushing.

Yet Atlanta was 5th in scoring in the nfl, and 16th in overll yards.

Having Felix get a significant amount of carries might be slightly over blown. 20 carries per game is never going to happen. More like 15-16.

Another note for running backs is:

6 running backs had over 500 yards receiving last year, 4 out of the 6 received less than 240 carries (15 carries per game).

If we run 25 times per game, and Felix gets 15 carries, and 4-5 receptions per game, I think we'll be in pretty good shape. You give the other 10 carries to whoever is more responsive between Choice and Murray.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;4049115 said:
With the improved athleticism on the line, it increases the amount of plays we can call, and how we can run them. Romo is a quarterback who excells when on the move outside of the pocket. Well with an athletic offensive line we can call more bootlegs, waggles, etc.

PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy, stop spreading that MYTH!

Romo is good when he escapes pressure, it has nothing to do with being on the move or getting out of the pocket. He buys time, that is what makes him dangerous.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Don't have a clue as to what it will be, would like to see ball control and balanced. Not sure the defense is going to be ready for td for td exchanges.

We need to get up and control the game.

kmd24

Reaction score
I think for the first time in a while we're going to see a running game that attacks the edges of the opposing defense.

We'll put a lot of pressure on opposing linebackers and safeties with Jones and hopefully Murray on swing passes and wheel routes.

I think the passing game will be more of the same, but if Bryant has progressed, I expect that it will be more open. Teams pretty much left one guy on Roy Williams, and I don't think they'll be able to do that with Dez. The defense will have to choose to leave either Dez or Miles one-on-one or double both and leave a linebacker on Witten.

The base set on offense should be pretty hard to deal with. The skill positions are really talented. It's been a question of the line. So far, I'm pleased with what I've seen. Tyron has some work to do, but I think he's an improvement over Colombo on raw athleticism alone. If Arkin or Costa can step up at guard, I think we're going to be in really good shape, and very explosive.

I'm not sure what we're going to do in short yardage. Personally, I'd look hard at Choice, Miller, and Tanner to see if any of those guys can do the job. I just don't think Jones can do it, and I don't know much about Murray in the role. I know Choice can do it. He's got the perfect short yardage running style. But Choice has his own drawbacks if he sticks.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I can see them leaning on the pass just like in previous seasons I also think you will see Dallas using more of a 1 back system in the running game personally.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;4049618 said:
PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy, stop spreading that MYTH!

Romo is good when he escapes pressure, it has nothing to do with being on the move or getting out of the pocket. He buys time, that is what makes him dangerous.

You're wrong.

His ability to buy it is WHY he excels when he moves out of the pocket. Combined with his awareness of the pass rush. He also has the ability to pass well without resuming a stance... I mean what are you looking at here?

Eskimo

Reaction score
kmd24;4049672 said:
I think for the first time in a while we're going to see a running game that attacks the edges of the opposing defense.

We'll put a lot of pressure on opposing linebackers and safeties with Jones and hopefully Murray on swing passes and wheel routes.

I think the passing game will be more of the same, but if Bryant has progressed, I expect that it will be more open. Teams pretty much left one guy on Roy Williams, and I don't think they'll be able to do that with Dez. The defense will have to choose to leave either Dez or Miles one-on-one or double both and leave a linebacker on Witten.

The base set on offense should be pretty hard to deal with. The skill positions are really talented. It's been a question of the line. So far, I'm pleased with what I've seen. Tyron has some work to do, but I think he's an improvement over Colombo on raw athleticism alone. If Arkin or Costa can step up at guard, I think we're going to be in really good shape, and very explosive.

I'm not sure what we're going to do in short yardage. Personally, I'd look hard at Choice, Miller, and Tanner to see if any of those guys can do the job. I just don't think Jones can do it, and I don't know much about Murray in the role. I know Choice can do it. He's got the perfect short yardage running style. But Choice has his own drawbacks if he sticks.

I also think we will attack at the edges more now that the athleticism of the Guards and Tackles is vastly improved from the previous OLs. When you combine that with the good runblocking TEs/WRs that we have and the RBs that we have, I see us creating a lot of mismatches on the perimeter.

In terms of short yardage runners, Felix is by far the best guy we have. Choice is okay in his vision and decision-making but he can't break any tackles due to his lack of power. I am hopeful that Tanner can be the man for the job because he also shows good vision and runs with a lot of determination. Miller runs stiff and despite his size runs way too high which negates his power.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Cowboystar17;4049685 said:
I can see them leaning on the pass just like in previous seasons I also think you will see Dallas using more of a 1 back system in the running game personally.

I agree with you. It also makes sense given our personnel - Bennett and Phillips are better players than Gronkowski and Chapas. If teams go big against us with the 2 TE sets it should set up advantages for us in the passing game.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Eskimo;4049772 said:
I agree with you. It also makes sense given our personnel - Bennett and Phillips are better players than Gronkowski and Chapas. If teams go big against us with the 2 TE sets it should set up advantages for us in the passing game.

We've been saying that since we drafted Fasano, yet it has never actually panned out to be much of a mismatch.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4049775 said:
We've been saying that since we drafted Fasano, yet it has never actually panned out to be much of a mismatch.

I think it is because we kept the TEs in to block because of how pathetic Davis and Colombo were.

The Pats used it to great advantage last year and I think Garrett will emulate them this year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
5Stars;4049012 said:
That's a hard question to answer, but I would bet that Garrett will use what ever the opposing defense gives us.

This is the answer. He will use what is working.