What Type Of Offense Do You Expect This Season?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I like Romo out of the deeper drop sets, but not too often. You have to change it up and keep the defense guessing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WFO

Wide freaking open.

Pedal to the metal, take no prisoners, and the envy of a lot of fans.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NextGenBoys;4049150 said:
I'm fine with deeper drops this year such as the 7 since we have an improved Oline that should give Romo more time, hopefully, as you said.

The problem in the past, is we didn't have a good enough Oline to hold their blocks on the 7 step to allow the receivers to get down the field and out of their routes.

While Romo is better on the move, calling 7 steps with deep routes also forces him to hold the ball longer, which can result in more hits. 7 steps are a bigger payoff, but also a bigger risk.

I'm perfectly fine with a 7 step and deep routes in certain occassions, but calling a majority of 7 step drops gets your QB killed, ala the Mike Martz offense.

Exactly, even in Norv Turners offense [which seems what JG is kind of running, with the exception of no Emmitt] Troy Aikman did great , but he had the best OL ever. TR does not have that. So I hope we do not se a 7 step drop too much.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I expect the offense to be C (run first), before it is B (balanced), and lastly I expect it to be A (pass first).

I say that for 3 key reasons:

(1) The defense is new and so the offense will need to control the closck to take the pressure off the defense.

(2) The OL is becoming very young, and so they are more suited towards playing the run. I see a lot of runs, with screens built in to take th pressure off of a young line to sustain passing blocks, and instead put them in space where they can use their athleticism on screens.

(3) Finally, you can't go pass first when you're thin at WR. Yes, we have Austin and Bryant at #1/#2, but after that we have more "potential" than depth. A pass first mentality puts too much pressure on WR, thus making the thrat of injury at WR that much more troubling. Passing to TEs can only alleviate that pressure so much.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
I expect us to set the table passing the ball more times than not. Especially when you consider the skill level of Romo and the receivers. You don't have to be Mike Martz to figure that out. ;)

Hailmary

Reaction score
I think he'll want to replicate the offensive philosophy from his playing days w/ the cowboys, i.e. pass first and grab the lead and work the clock and the opponents defense w/ a steady dosage of running plays. Don't think we have the personnel for this yet tho.

dankman

Reaction score
While I like the idea pf a balanced attack in general, I don't think that it would be best for this team, this year. In my opinion, the four best offensive players we have are Romo, Witten, Miles and Dez. I just dont see how we can maximize our offensive potential unless we skew towards a relatively pass heavy offense. Just too much talent there to ignore.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Hostile;4049300 said:
WFO

Wide freaking open.

Pedal to the metal, take no prisoners, and the envy of a lot of fans.

This.

Garrett is a QB first, a disciple of Jimmy Johnson's second, and fond of points third. Add that up with how the NFL rules favor passing and we're going to be missing a few kitchen sinks that end up on the field.

I don't want to see us go run heavy until we're at the end of the third, up by 10-14 points, and have the ball at their 35 with first and 10.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The complete opposite of what I thought he would run... With immense results...

:a-team: :a-team: :a-team: :a-team:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Greatest Show on Turf 2

In 1999 the Rams had 33 pass attempts per game, and 27 rushes per game.

The following year that increased to 36 pass attempts per game and decreased to 24 rushes per game.

In 2001 they had 34 pass attempts per game and 26 rushing attempts per game.

35-25 split sounds decent to me.

That said that is essentially the same offense we had last year. In terms of splits. It's basically the same split we've always had.

I don't see it changing. What I do see changing is the emphasis in terms of where the ball is going.

I think we're very much going from a 3 WR system to a 2 WR system. Somewhat similar to what we had in 2007.

This is how our 2007 targeting worked out:

T.O. - 144 Targets
J-Witt - 142 Targets
Crayton - 81 targets
top 2 RB - 67 targets

Sam Hurd our 3rd receiver only got 37 targets. Compare that to Roy Williams who received 64 targets in 2010, Patrick Crayton who received 67 targets in 2009, 66 3rd receiver targets in 2008.

Last year Dez only got 72 targets... I expect this to change completely. Felix Jones only got 52 targets... I expect THAT to change.

I see Dez getting Roy Williams' and Jason Witten's targets. I also see Felix Jones getting Jason Witten and Marion Barber's carries.

I expect Witten to have to block A LOT more this year.

I think from the onset you have to go in wanting a certain amount of targets for both Dez and Miles. Off the top of my head I would say 100 a piece. Which is 6.25 targets per game. I would say my next goal is to get Felix Jones nearly 100 targets as well.

That is exactly how I would attack defenses vertically and horizantally.

Finally making them dread blitzing.

Felix and Dez have to be blitz busters.

I'm not saying Witten can't get his targets, but it just can't be as much as it has been in years past. The RB position is going to get a lot of his receptions. And he needs to be in blocking situations to help out Smith.

wconn1979

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4049494 said:
Greatest Show on Turf 2

In 1999 the Rams had 33 pass attempts per game, and 27 rushes per game.

The following year that increased to 36 pass attempts per game and decreased to 24 rushes per game.

In 2001 they had 34 pass attempts per game and 26 rushing attempts per game.

35-25 split sounds decent to me.

That said that is essentially the same offense we had last year. In terms of splits. It's basically the same split we've always had.

I don't see it changing. What I do see changing is the emphasis in terms of where the ball is going.

I think we're very much going from a 3 WR system to a 2 WR system. Somewhat similar to what we had in 2007.

This is how our 2007 targeting worked out:

T.O. - 144 Targets
J-Witt - 142 Targets
Crayton - 81 targets
top 2 RB - 67 targets

Sam Hurd our 3rd receiver only got 37 targets. Compare that to Roy Williams who received 64 targets in 2010, Patrick Crayton who received 67 targets in 2009, 66 3rd receiver targets in 2008.

Last year Dez only got 72 targets... I expect this to change completely. Felix Jones only got 52 targets... I expect THAT to change.

I see Dez getting Roy Williams' and Jason Witten's targets. I also see Felix Jones getting Jason Witten and Marion Barber's carries.

I expect Witten to have to block A LOT more this year.

I think from the onset you have to go in wanting a certain amount of targets for both Dez and Miles. Off the top of my head I would say 100 a piece. Which is 6.25 targets per game. I would say my next goal is to get Felix Jones nearly 100 targets as well.

That is exactly how I would attack defenses vertically and horizantally.

Finally making them dread blitzing.

Felix and Dez have to be blitz busters.

I'm not saying Witten can't get his targets, but it just can't be as much as it has been in years past. The RB position is going to get a lot of his receptions. And he needs to be in blocking situations to help out Smith.

A healthy dose of Miles and Dez with a little Felix spread in is just what the Doctor ordered this year.

cowboyz

Reaction score
Leaving witten to help in blocking is the wrong idea. I would keep him in only to keep the lbs/s short and provide space for deep passes. He should be used to occupy the defense not just as an extra defender. If the defense knows he's staying in then it frees them up

DL23

Reaction score
Jason Garrett has been calling the plays the last 4 years, why would the offensive philosophy all of a sudden change this year? The only reason he would change his philosophy is if he's forced to. For example, the OL might be better in pass-pro than run-blocking, or vice-versa. Or the defense might be getting lit up, so he's forced to air it out more. But as it stands right now, I don't think the play-calling will be any different from last year.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever is working best and a lot of that will depend on the OL.