What was your worst year to be a Cowboys Fan?

Valkyr

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the year we trotted out Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, and Clint Stoerner.

And Stoerner threw something like 4 picks in the second half to blow a 24-7 lead vs the Giants. We had 2 missed FGs, 4 ints, and a blocked punt.

plasticman

Reaction score
1986.....the season that broke the 20 year winning streak.

Nobody saw it coming, in fact, quite the opposite. They USFL had just folded and that meant the Cowboys now had Herschel Walker to complement Tony Dorsett.

They were getting fantastic productivity out of their rookie 1st round pick, Michael Sherrard, a speedy WR.

The Cowboys went 6-2 in the first 8 games. They looked strong. The RB's were running roughshod through the NFL. Walker was not only huge, he had olympic speed and was a great receiver. He had over 140 yards receiving in three games that season.

The 2nd half of the season was just the worst, even worse than the first half of the 2010 season. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

They would be 150 yards better than the opponent and still lose. Danny White went down for a while. Penalties were ridiculous and they lost games you would call a fluke but it would happen again the next week.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
The year JJ got the gold jacket. It justified (in his egotistical mind)his stranglehold on this organization for years to come.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The 5-11 seasons were some dark times for sure. But they weren't painful because the expectations were so low those years.

The loss to NYG in the '07 divisional round was absolutely devastating. I don't let losses affect me anymore, but that ruined me for a while.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Probably this one as I have barely given it attention with everything going on. I know we invested in some DT's that were not bottom of the barrel bargain signings. Always a nice change in philosophy there. Seen some articles on Dez and Dak getting their groove on while not social distancing. Cooper resigned?? I think.. No Freddy quite a big bummer for me.

What else have I missed?

My excitement level is nada. (So far) A Dez signing could change things for me. Or just the season starting, it always returns.

2009 season sure sucked. Favre bending us over spanking that. Still hurts to this day for me. For some reason I still occasionally watch that game hoping for a bit better execution everytime.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
The worst part of a season for me was December 1983. It was a huge collapse. The Cowboys were 12-3 and were dominating. They were set for #1 seed and home field if they could beat the Commanders at home and they had already beaten them in RFK. But they lost in embarrassing fashion. Then they didn't show up and were blown out by the 49ers. Then lost at home to the 9-7 Rams in the wild card game. What a disappointing end to the season, especially when hopes were so high and personally I was surrounded by Commander fans at the time. When the Raiders blew them out in the Super Bowl, that was my favorite Super Bowl other than that Cowboys wins.

cowboyec

Reaction score
1989...far and away.
•parents divorce
•dad had to do time
•Coach Landry fired
•Randy White,Danny White retire
•Ed "too tall" Jones relegated to back-up
•Herschel gets traded

1989 sucked the butt outta dead rhino.

johneric8

Reaction score
I've been watching since I was a kid in the 70's and if I'm being honest, I've never been as low on the cowboys as I was this last season after the Eagles game. 2019 for me represented a total loss in hope that we might never win again in my lifetime. Much of my dismay came from what Jerry Jones allowed to happen with bringing Garrett back. For me this defied any logic I've ever seen in regards to team sports. Waiting for Garrett to be let go was one of the longest waits I can remember. I feel good now, hope is somewhat restored. I feel Jerry has had to swallow a bitter pill and is getting older so I'm optimistic.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Campo’s first year. Just horrible. Didn’t have no future without a qb once aikman went down. His second year came pretty close especially once we gave Ryan leaf a starts but that 2000 team was horrible. I remember we couldn’t stop the run for nothin. Imagine our game against the rams when Hurley and Anderson ran i is over but it happened every week. We gave up multiple individual 200 yard rushing performances that season. The horrible Galloway trade had happened and we all knew it was terrible but to compound the situation galloway blows out his acl in the first game of the season.

The Garrett years were terrible but I enjoyed watching Romo and Dez and Ware. Garrett just underwhelm our team. Campo squads just straight up sucked. I didn’t get excited until we drafted Roy Williams

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any of those 5-11 Campo years. Growing up in DC and being in high school around those times. Brutal
Campo years were tough, for sure. I never had any confidence in him, not even in the beginning. I am consistently a person that preaches to give people a chance, even if there are reasons to be skeptical, but I couldn't do it with Campo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What was your worst year as a Cowboys fan?

Mine was 1988. In my lifetime, which started in 1965, the Cowboys had never won less than 7 games in a season, except for the strike shortened 1982 season, when they went 6-3 and made the NFL championship game for the 3rd straight season. And they had only 3 seasons of 7 wins (1965, 1986 & 1987) in that time. At the age of 23, I had witnessed 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985. The Cowboys had started 6-2 in 1986 on their way to a 21st winning season, only to crater to a 1-7 finish after Danny White was injured, and Steve Pelleur took over at Quarterback. 1986 was their first losing season since 1964, and the first I had ever witnessed.

To watch Tom Landry suffer through the humiliation of a 3-13 season in 1988 was excruciating. That was BEFORE he got fired in February 1989.

Nothing was worse than the Parcells years when Quincy Carter was our QB. Then the horrid Garrett years.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I would say this last year as I realized how bad the apathy had taken root in me over the mismanagement and piss poor coaching of this team.

JayFord

Reaction score

it was flat out disgusting

youre 9-5 and need to win one more game for a playoff spot then proceed to embarrass yourselves letting the ravens rip off 2 consecutive 80 yard td runs and not even showing up against Philadelphia

i could see if we lost by a touchdown or a last second fg

But they flat out embarrassed themselves

a close second was last year

i wanted the season over before it even started.....

other seasons like the campo years i mean winning 5 games with that roster was about 4 too many

MarkP88

Reaction score
What was your worst year as a Cowboys fan?

Mine was 1988. In my lifetime, which started in 1965, the Cowboys had never won less than 7 games in a season, except for the strike shortened 1982 season, when they went 6-3 and made the NFL championship game for the 3rd straight season. And they had only 3 seasons of 7 wins (1965, 1986 & 1987) in that time. At the age of 23, I had witnessed 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985. The Cowboys had started 6-2 in 1986 on their way to a 21st winning season, only to crater to a 1-7 finish after Danny White was injured, and Steve Pelleur took over at Quarterback. 1986 was their first losing season since 1964, and the first I had ever witnessed.

To watch Tom Landry suffer through the humiliation of a 3-13 season in 1988 was excruciating. That was BEFORE he got fired in February 1989.
This is a tough one, because are we talking worst as in most painful, or worst as in most embarrassing? Obviously years like '87, '88 and '89 were headed towards, and arriving at rock bottom. But especially in '88 and '89, we knew the team was awful. Of those two, I'd say '88 was worst, because we had no QB and it wasn't until the final weekend when we lucked into having the first pick. (Thank you eternally, Green Bay.)

If we're talking most painful...I'd say '81 or '07. The way those two years ended was just unbelievably brutal.