What was your worst year to be a Cowboys Fan?

CWR

Reaction score
To me years like last year are some of the hardest to handle. Obviously I ran my mouth and trash talked all off season (cause Im slow.) Then in a year where we had sky high expectations and came out balling they managed to even further elevate my foolish hopes, only to crap the bed. Seasons like that are tough. When we suck and I know it, there isn't nearly the let down. Even when I really stopped caring they tried to pull me back in with the win vs LA.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What was your worst year as a Cowboys fan?

Mine was 1988. In my lifetime, which started in 1965, the Cowboys had never won less than 7 games in a season, except for the strike shortened 1982 season, when they went 6-3 and made the NFL championship game for the 3rd straight season. And they had only 3 seasons of 7 wins (1965, 1986 & 1987) in that time. At the age of 23, I had witnessed 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985. The Cowboys had started 6-2 in 1986 on their way to a 21st winning season, only to crater to a 1-7 finish after Danny White was injured, and Steve Pelleur took over at Quarterback. 1986 was their first losing season since 1964, and the first I had ever witnessed.

To watch Tom Landry suffer through the humiliation of a 3-13 season in 1988 was excruciating. That was BEFORE he got fired in February 1989.

The first couple of seasons were tough. I was all excited when became a team and then just a tie to start their career was tough, but the 1989 1-15 season was the toughest one for me. I had already been a fan for 30 years and to fall back to be as bad as they're 1st year was tough.

RS12

Reaction score
1994 Jerry deciding he needed more credit and hiring Switzer even though they won their last Lombardi a year later.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Simply my opinion, I was much happier as a fan with a 1 win team with hope than I was with 5 win team that had absolutely nothing going for them looking forward.

For me personally it was extremely disheartening to see the team go from 3-13 to 1-15 with a new owner, head coach and a QB who was taken number one overall. I didn’t think it could get any worse than the 88 team. Aikman was 0-11 in 89 and some were writing him off. I’ve been following the Cowboys since the 72 season and I’ve never seen a Cowboys team more full of holes than the 89 team. That season was beyond depressing. In 2000 all we needed was a solid head coach and a QB.

mathew1184

Reaction score
Whatever season it was that we were on hard knocks with Campo. I think I was still trying to convince myself Jerry knew what he was doing..that season changed my mind.

Was that the year we lost to the expansion texans? I'm starting to block it out I think..if not that's another low point for me.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If the season doesn't happen, it will be 2020. Until then it will be the Dave Campo years, 2000-2002, just pick one.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the Campo years.
Yeah, the record stunk.
But from start to finish, Campos teams played their arses off.
Never quit just outgunned
Unlike the red headed stepchild teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, the record stunk.
Oh, you have a problem with 13-3, 12-4 seasons? Stop being blind. JG was bad but the JG years were not all bad.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, the record stunk.
Lots of truth there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another thing that made the 1989 season so depressing was Irvin suffered an ACL and it started looking like he might end up another disappointment like Mike Sherrard. The 89 season left a lot of question marks.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
2000-02 were the worst for me; since I was very young when the late '80's collapse happened.

However, I agree that those teams really did play hard. Actually, the 2001 Cowboys defense was very good. They just had absolutely nothing on offense.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What was your worst year as a Cowboys fan?

Mine was 1988. In my lifetime, which started in 1965, the Cowboys had never won less than 7 games in a season, except for the strike shortened 1982 season, when they went 6-3 and made the NFL championship game for the 3rd straight season. And they had only 3 seasons of 7 wins (1965, 1986 & 1987) in that time. At the age of 23, I had witnessed 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985. The Cowboys had started 6-2 in 1986 on their way to a 21st winning season, only to crater to a 1-7 finish after Danny White was injured, and Steve Pelleur took over at Quarterback. 1986 was their first losing season since 1964, and the first I had ever witnessed.

To watch Tom Landry suffer through the humiliation of a 3-13 season in 1988 was excruciating. That was BEFORE he got fired in February 1989.
So start the next thread..

What was the best year to be a Cowboys fan.

(Finger strumming and knuckles cracking)

Hhmmmm...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, you have a problem with 13-3, 12-4 seasons? Stop being blind. JG was bad but the JG years were not all bad.
I have a problem with the talent discrepancy between Campos and Reds teams. Red did less with more than just about any other coach in history.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I have a problem with the talent discrepancy between Campos and Reds teams. Red did less with more than just about any other coach in history.
Wrong, Red did something while Campos did nothing. Red had teams in certain seasons that played every bit as hard for him as Campos teams did for him. The 2014 and 2016 teams were amazing for Red so stop acting like it was all bad when Red was around. Campos was 5-11 3 years in a row and we had absolutely no hope in those days no matter how hard they played.