What we lost when Garrett left

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett made the same stupid clock management decisions.

Cannot count how many times we went to halftime down 10 to 7 points with 30 seconds left in the first half and he would take a knee instead of trying to score.

That drove me crazy. He thinks he would outsmart everyone taking the damn knee.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
While it's true that Jason seemed to have no ability to be creative in crafting an offensive.
Nor any ability to change plans as the game developed.
He also lacked the ability to lead really talented personnel to success.
But I don't remember as many real inexplicable play decisions & time mismanagement in Jasons 7 years as I have in Mikes 1 season +.
Lost nites clock mismanagement was just the latest
I remember watching JG & saying "Well I don't think that was the best call & why is he clapping again" but with MM I've said "What was he thinking...that didn't make any sense...WTH is going on"

I have real concerns that this team will actually lose a few games based solely on MM clear lack of ability in these areas & I can't see how he will improve.

Man I have to completely disagree. I remember many different games Garrett completely botched the end of games with not calling a timeout, calling one too early, or how about when he iced his own kicker. The talking heads said he would get better as time went by and that flat out didn't happen. Big Mac's track record so far in Dallas with time management and gimicky calls is not great either.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Garrett way too often played not to lose as opposed to playing to win. He also iced his own kicker, which McCarthy has yet to do.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I think one of biggest issues with MM right now is that he is letting Bones Fassel do whatever he wants. It's clear Fassel is trying to force a big statement play and it's to the detriment to the team. MM needs to step in when these overly aggressive ST calls are being made.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think if you had chosen a different title for the OP it probably would have gone over better.

Because, while there's no doubt that Garrett was a poor game manager just as McCarthy is, Garrett also did come up lacking in several other areas required of a HC that you mentioned but that McCarthy just hasn't shown to be as bad...

YET! lol

I don't like either for what it's worth.

jmo

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think if you had chosen a different title for the OP it probably would have gone over better.

Because, while there's no doubt that Garrett was a poor game manager just as McCarthy is, Garrett also came up lacking in several other areas required of a HC that McCarthy hasn't shown to be as bad...

YET! lol

I don't like either for what it's worth.

jmo

The fact Dallas actually puts their ego aside and game plans for teams and looks for matchups to exploit and throws different looks at teams puts us miles ahead of where we were with the last joker.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Garrett was too conservative. MM is too wildcard-ish. We need a coach that lives in the goldilocks zone, in between these two.
I think you want one or the other. I think the issue we have is MM isn't too wildcard ish...he just picks and chooses when he wants to do it and its resulting in some odd outcomes. He was conservative to end the game but in the 2nd quarter he went for a punt block aggressively for no reason. He doesn't know his intensity as a coach.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
While it's true that Jason seemed to have no ability to be creative in crafting an offensive.
But I don't remember as many real inexplicable play decisions & time mismanagement in Jasons 7 years as I have in Mikes 1 season +.
I remember watching JG & saying "Well I don't think that was the best call & why is he clapping again" but with MM I've said "What was he thinking...that didn't make any sense...WTH is going on"

I have real concerns that this team will actually lose a few games based solely on MM clear lack of ability in these areas & I can't see how he will improve.
Poor game management is THE thing I remember Garrett for.

75boyz

Reaction score
The fact Dallas actually puts their ego aside and game plans for teams and looks for matchups to exploit and throws different looks at teams puts us miles ahead of where we were with the last joker.

While there does seem to be more than a Beat Your Man philosophy in place I still find it hard to grasp very elementary decisions in the midst of situational football.
Most of the time even, at pivotal momentum shifting moments in the game.
Trying to "over" compensate conservatism is a bad look as well.
You said it yourself in your Special Teams post which I agree with.

Playing Hero Ball another poster called it instead of smart situational football.

jmo

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I don't know, man. I remember Garrett accidentally icing his own kicker, losing the game.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
We lost the ability to feel like we will lose every game.