What will this mean for the future of football?

CWR

Reaction score
Man thats awful. Money talks though, I cant imagine the NFL going away. They will probably do thier best to make advances with helmets (which only goes so far) and change rules to minimize those type of hits even further.

If athletes begin to see and digest this information maybe we will see shorter careers and less interest in kids coming up as they gravitate towards other sports, maybe.

I think at the end of the day many will consider the risk and play anyways. If the NFL ever does fold up it will be because with the new rules and less talent the product goes to crap and consumers have lost interest.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Man thats awful. Money talks though, I cant imagine the NFL going away. They will probably do thier best to make advances with helmets (which only goes so far) and change rules to minimize those type of hits even further.

If athletes begin to see and digest this information maybe we will see shorter careers and less interest in kids coming up as they gravitate towards other sports, maybe.

I think at the end of the day many will consider the risk and play anyways. If the NFL ever does fold up it will be because with the new rules and less talent the product goes to crap and consumers have lost interest.
The league could considerably increase the size of rosters also.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Yea more than likely. People will watch until the product isn't good anymore.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The NFL (and football) is here to stay. Even if they make it flag football, people will still love it. It's all about offense and scoring...flag football (or limited contact) will be all high-scoring games. A Fantasy Football lover's dream come true

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The NFL (and football) is here to stay. Even if they make it flag football, people will still love it. It's all about offense and scoring...flag football (or limited contact) will be all high-scoring games. A Fantasy Football lover's dream come true
And fantasy football is why it will probably be okay. I don't play it but many do. They even have TV shows on it.

T-RO

Reaction score
I don't think a discovery like this will threaten the game, unless it's done in the courts.

I don't see congress stepping in. Politicians get a lot of donations from the NFL and a member of congress who tried to shut down the NFL would be very unpopular.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Yea more than likely. People will watch until the product isn't good anymore.
Its getting closer all the time. I have tried to watch games, in recent years, between clubs l had no emotional interest in and found them almost unwatchable...l mean those games were terrible. To me, it wasn't like that years ago. The competition and quality of the games was much better. Take the hitting out of football and it is dead.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Its getting closer all the time. I have tried to watch games, in recent years, between clubs l had no emotional interest in and found them almost unwatchable...l mean those games were terrible. To me, it wasn't like that years ago. The competition and quality of the games was much better. Take the hitting out of football and it is dead.
I used to watch football all day Sunday and Monday nights. I'm lucky if I watch 2 games on Sunday anymore. Usually go to bed at halftime on Sunday nights unless the Cowboys play. I won't even go into Monday who's games are terrible.

Skillit

Reaction score
Did the report say how many of them had symptoms? I read someplace about a brain that was examined--had the CTE damage, but the person never exhibited symptoms.
I assume it's like boxers......plenty of old, long term boxers lose it. Some don't. But I am sure even the boxer's who never went completely south still had brains that looked the part.

revospeed

Reaction score
Did the report say how many of them had symptoms? I read someplace about a brain that was examined--had the CTE damage, but the person never exhibited symptoms.
I assume it's like boxers......plenty of old, long term boxers lose it. Some don't. But I am sure even the boxer's who never went completely south still had brains that looked the part.

Yeah. A bunch of the guys that were named in the class action lawsuit against the NFL lived into their 80s and had successful post NFL careers. Not everyone who has CTE is going to turn into a suicidal lunatic.

Plankton

Reaction score
Have they examined the brains of non-football players to see how many had CTE? Would be interesting to see if the narrative changes if it's found in seemingly regular people.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
The NY Times admitted the headline is a little sensationalized but the findings are still significant.

"The set of players posthumously tested by Dr. McKee is far from a random sample of N.F.L. retirees. “There’s a tremendous selection bias,” she has cautioned, noting that many families have donated brains specifically because the former player showed symptoms of C.T.E.

But 110 positives remain significant scientific evidence of an N.F.L. player’s risk of developing C.T.E., which can be diagnosed only after death. About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players would have tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population."

haleyrules

Reaction score
I still love watching football cause it's better for me than hockey, baseball, or basketball.
Yep. Hockey is a live game. It must be watched at the rink. Terrible TV game. Completely different in person. I used to go to a lot of games and go way up in the nosebleed seats and you could really see the plays develop. On TV you get very little feel for the game.