What would have been the outcome if Jerry had retained Tom Landry?

Rayman70

Reaction score
its a moot point because Tom would have resigned after 1 year coaching under JJ and his clown show. Tom was a class act and didnt feel a need to cater to anyone. He was his own man , loyal to God, not Jerry Jones. It would have never EVER worked.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Yeah, i think Landry had hit the wall. Time for new coach. The only great decision Jones made was bring Jimmy in as HC.... he got too successful and we all know the rest of the story.

Agree. I had watched the Cowboys since the 70s. Landry was an innovator. His innovations no longer worked on the late 80s. Despite my love for him he was stubborn too and wouldn’t adapt. If he had stayed on we might be talking about 31 years of nothing

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
I wish i had a link or transcript but i recall Landry being interviewed towards the end of the '89 season. Some things referenced were his planned changes to a 3-4 defense; Aikman was the pick but wasn't going to start in his rookie season; and he would've never considered trading Walker. Aikman, Walker, and Irvin would've been the core for the early '90s. Safe to say the '89 team wouldn't have bottomed out to 1-15 under Landry. Landry most likely could've gotten the team competitive once again, competing for division titles, but Super Bowls wouldn't been hard to attain without that influx of draft picks Jimmy obtained.

exciter

Reaction score
Given the state of the Cowboys and the general doom and gloom in this place, I figured it might be a good idea to discuss some hypotheticals of what might have been.

Go back in time to when Jerry purchased the Cowboys. What would have been the outcome if he had retained Tom Landry and allowed Landry to rebuild the Cowboys. What would he have done differently? Would he have been as successful as Jimmy in creating a SB contender?
As tough as it was to see him go at the time, it’s obvious now that the game had passed him by, same as it did for Shula and Knoll!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That would be 1974 when they went 8-6, in 1972 they went 10-4 and lost to Washington in the NFCCG. Roger got hurt in 1972.

Thanks.. I think I went crosseyed looking at the screen today. I knew it was '74 just as I remember them getting their clocks cleaned in the '72 championship by George Allen's over the hill gang. What was it like 26-3 or something? I remember I had allowed my hopes to get up after watching Roger lead the miracle comeback in the final minutes against the Niners the week before. Landry almost waited too long to bring Roger into that game. But the Skins really put it to them in the championship game. That game hurt my 12 year old soul! LOL!

dckid

Reaction score
Why do we do this ? Most posters on here don't even remember the jimmy johnson years , let alone the Landry years.
That’s sad that the majority of fans don’t remember the Jimmy years. Man those were good days. You saw that team at the low and then just saw them coming , building momentum, confidence, swagger!!!!

dckid

Reaction score
Given the state of the Cowboys and the general doom and gloom in this place, I figured it might be a good idea to discuss some hypotheticals of what might have been.

Go back in time to when Jerry purchased the Cowboys. What would have been the outcome if he had retained Tom Landry and allowed Landry to rebuild the Cowboys. What would he have done differently? Would he have been as successful as Jimmy in creating a SB contender?
We would still be waiting for a SB title since 1978.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think Landry would have done just fine. Maybe one SB. He had to rebuild the team. Jimmy built a powerhouse on a Walker trade no one could have anticipated. And hit on most of those picks. That approach is not what Landry would have done, and he said as much in an interview. That doesn't mean his approach would fail, but I think it's reasonable to predict it wouldn't have led to 3 SB in 4 years.

That said, the way things turned out wasn't so bad. Thanks in large part to the Giants and Cowboys that the 49ers don't have like 4 or 5 extra rings. Good God that would suck.

Jimmy perfectly understood what he was doing with Herschel trade and all subsequent trades thereafter.

That Jimmy was able to build a dynasty in less than 5 seasons was not happenstance.

The 90's Cowboys were the most dominant team of that era and at the time the greatest dynasty of any era.

And Jimmy was the architect of that success, on and off the field.

Every GM and HC breathed a sigh of relief when Jimmy left, otherwise the beatdowns, physically and mentally would have continued season after season.

5 championships would have been the minimum, the only mystery would have been how many consecutive titles they would have won.

garyo1954

Reaction score
The 90's Cowboys were the most dominant team of that era and at the time the greatest dynasty of any era. .

Depends on how you define "dynasty."

The 1960-1967 Green Bay Packers won five titles in eight years and a roster with 10 Hall of Famers on it.

1982-1994 San Francisco won three Super Bowls under Walsh before he retired following the 1988 title. George Seifert took over, winning a Super Bowl with Young in 1989 and 1994. During this 14-year stretch, the 49ers won five Super Bowls, lost it to the NFC Championship Game four times and posted a 159-56-1 record.

From 1970-1979, the Cowboys had a 105-39 record in the regular season, four Super Bowl appearances and won two rings.

Between 1972 - 1979 Pittsburgh cast of Hall of Famers, and legendary coach, won four Super Bowls across nine seasons.

No doubt they were the best of the '90s, but you'd have a hard time proving they were the best up to that time.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jimmy perfectly understood what he was doing with Herschel trade and all subsequent trades thereafter.

That Jimmy was able to build a dynasty in less than 5 seasons was not happenstance.

The 90's Cowboys were the most dominant team of that era and at the time the greatest dynasty of any era.

And Jimmy was the architect of that success, on and off the field.

Every GM and HC breathed a sigh of relief when Jimmy left, otherwise the beatdowns, physically and mentally would have continued season after season.

5 championships would have been the minimum, the only mystery would have been how many consecutive titles they would have won.
Jimmy was very familiar with the college prospects back then. I'm not sure how good a handle he'd have had on draft choices in another few years.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i would love to see Landry's triplets...Troy Herschel Michael...and what they would've done.
Gil Brandt said it was his board they used in the '89 draft...so i'd love to know if that means Landry still drafts Daryl Johnston,Tony Tolbert and Mark Stepnoski.
along with Troy....who was going to be the #1 pick...that is some much needed infusion of talent.
i said earlier...if Coach returns i don't think Danny or Randy White retire.
i don't think Doug Cosbie Michael Downs Timmy Newsome or Everson get released.
so it would be fascinating to see this group of young players and vets could've done.
the big thing to me is Danny's wrist.
he said he told jimmy he wanted to stay and help Aikman develop and get aclimated to the league...and told jimmy his wrist had fully healed.
he said jimmy wasn't really interested and Danny retired.
if Landry stays...Danny stays and probably starts.
i just don't see that team with Herschel and Irvin winning only 1 game with a healthy Danny White.
i don't think the '88 team wins only 3 games with a healthy Danny White.
9 or 10 wins...contend for the east and the play-offs.
if Landry stays past '89...eventually Aikman takes over...and i don't see any scenario where that man doesn't at least win 1 super bowl...regardless of who the coach is.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Depends on how you define "dynasty."

The 1960-1967 Green Bay Packers won five titles in eight years and a roster with 10 Hall of Famers on it.

1982-1994 San Francisco won three Super Bowls under Walsh before he retired following the 1988 title. George Seifert took over, winning a Super Bowl with Young in 1989 and 1994. During this 14-year stretch, the 49ers won five Super Bowls, lost it to the NFC Championship Game four times and posted a 159-56-1 record.

From 1970-1979, the Cowboys had a 105-39 record in the regular season, four Super Bowl appearances and won two rings.

Between 1972 - 1979 Pittsburgh cast of Hall of Famers, and legendary coach, won four Super Bowls across nine seasons.

No doubt they were the best of the '90s, but you'd have a hard time proving they were the best up to that time.

Montana was still the QB for the '89 49ers victory over Denver. Young only won the '94 Super Bowl. And didn't the Cowboys have 5 Super Bowl appearances in the 70's? Wasn't their loss to the Colts following the 1970 season? I will go look it up to confirm but I'm pretty sure I'm right. 39 Losses in a decade though.. Good lord they were a really good team back then..

garyo1954

Reaction score
Montana was still the QB for the '89 49ers victory over Denver. Young only won the '94 Super Bowl. And didn't the Cowboys have 5 Super Bowl appearances in the 70's? Wasn't their loss to the Colts following the 1970 season? I will go look it up to confirm but I'm pretty sure I'm right. 39 Losses in a decade though.. Good lord they were a really good team back then..

You're right. My bad......5 Super Bowls for Dallas counting 1970.
And Joe was MVP in 1989.

I stand corrected. Should have double checked my facts.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Again, for the umpteenth time, Tex and Gil already had a succession plan in place for Jimmy Johnson to replace Tom Landry after the 1989 season. Jerry just move up the time table. That is why Jerry Rhome was brought in by Landry and kept on the staff by Johnson to transition Aikman to the NFL Aikman already knew Johnson from being recurited by Johnson.

Jimmy Johnson already had overtures to go the the NFL (see 49ers to replace Walsh). But, Walsh had too much influence and Tex and Gil told Jimmy he could run the show with them just as they did with Landry. When the Cowboys scouted Irvin and drafted Irvin, a non-Landry like character player, but a play maker, that sealed the plan that Johnson would replace Landry after the 1989 season having both Irvin, and Aikman.

Because Jerry knew Jimmy, Jerry moved the plan up a year early agreeing to fire Landry and install Johnson as head coach and running football operations. There is a LA times news article were Jerry Jones says that you get two for one in Jimmy Johnson a Head Coach and GM. Jimmy Johnson while he was discussing his future with the Cowboys got a call from Jerry asking him to scope out things in Dallas because he was going to buy the Cowboys and install him as Head Coach also. This was before Jerry Jones purchase the team. That is why Jimmy Johnson was already in Dallas with Tex and Gil ahead of the infamous Mexican Dinner photo.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Jimmy was very familiar with the college prospects back then. I'm not sure how good a handle he'd have had on draft choices in another few years.

Jimmy was still drafting HOFers after taking break and then taking HC position with Fins.

It was not luck or familiarity that enabled Jimmy to identify AND develop players, it was talent.

And Jimmy was able to find players everywhere he went.

There is a reason that the GOAT head coach in NFL history, Bill Belichick, still picks Jimmy's brain and considers him a mentor on all things football.