What would have been the outcome if Jerry had retained Tom Landry?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given the state of the Cowboys and the general doom and gloom in this place, I figured it might be a good idea to discuss some hypotheticals of what might have been.

Go back in time to when Jerry purchased the Cowboys. What would have been the outcome if he had retained Tom Landry and allowed Landry to rebuild the Cowboys. What would he have done differently? Would he have been as successful as Jimmy in creating a SB contender?
Landry likely wouldn't have had as much control as Jimmy. Jimmy only got it because he was "Jerry's guy". I doubt Landry would have been willing to tear everything down anyway. A lot just fell into place right at that time, and any deviance from how it happened may well have undermined the whole thing.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Given the state of the Cowboys and the general doom and gloom in this place, I figured it might be a good idea to discuss some hypotheticals of what might have been.

Go back in time to when Jerry purchased the Cowboys. What would have been the outcome if he had retained Tom Landry and allowed Landry to rebuild the Cowboys. What would he have done differently? Would he have been as successful as Jimmy in creating a SB contender?
Three less championships.......................

Reactions: BAT

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Landry didn’t have many years left in him. However, it’s premature to say it passed him by. He had Steve Palleur and Gary Hogeboom at QB and not much for talent besides Hershall Walker.

I would have loved to see Aikman in the Landry offense.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Landry would have fallen and broken his hip. Come on the guy was getting old, he was forgetting how many time outs he had and how much time was on the clock. I remember it. Im not exaggerating.

The current hate for Jones I dont agree with but I understand, but revisionary hate is just silly. We seem to be in the age of revisionary everything. Jones made a decision, it created a dynasty.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry would have zero Super Bowl wins...

Landry was done.

physeter

Reaction score
Landry was already on record that he was drafting Aikman. The difference is that he would not have drafted Emmitt because he would never have traded Herschel. It's often overlooked that Landry was putting together a pretty good roster of future pro-bowlers before he was canned.

Newton, Tuinei, Norton, Gogan, Herschel and Irvin were already in the fold. They were planning on adding Aikman to the mix in '89. Jimmy came in and ripped the bandages off when it came to aging veterans like Randy, Danny, Too-Tall etc. But I suspect Landry was going to do that too. Landry just would not have thrown Troy to the wolves the way Jimmy did and let him take that beating.. which in turn may have let Troy have a longer career. Jimmy turned the roster over quicker than Landry would have I think.. but I also think Landry was respectful enough not to pi$$ all over his boss unlike Jimmy. Of course with cancer taking him out not to long after it wasn't going to end well anyway..

I never bought into the notion that Landry had forgotten how to coach.. He had been too good for too long for me to buy that. Where the Cowboys failed in the 80's was talent evaluation. They missed on too many high picks .. Sherrard, Noonan, Cannon, "Hogenboom" as Landry liked to call him.. The list is long of guys who the Cowboys went in on but got little or nothing on the field.. Picking up the guys I mentioned above indicated that they might have been on the way to solving that.. Once you got him good players I think Landry would have done fine..

This is a very interesting take. People always remember the mid and latter years of the 80’s as bad seasons. However, after losing three consecutive NFCCG from 80-82, in 83 they were 12-4 and lost in the WC game v. LA Rams. In 84 they famously missed the playoffs for the first time since the 60’s but they rebounded in 85 and won the NFCE only to lose to the LA Rams again in the playoffs.

Now 86 was an interesting year. The Cowboys were legit in that year, they started the season as a power offensive team. Paul Hackett was brought over from San Francisco to run the offense, which was further turbo-charged by adding Herschel Walker, after the USFL folded, and by adding a pretty nice WR in Mike Sherrard. Now that 86 team was scoring 30 + points In almost every game and the record at mid season was 6-2 and leading the division. They have already beaten the NY Giants on MNF.

However, It was during the second game v giants @ NY (whom eventually won the SB that year) when Danny White suffered a season ending injury. From there the Cowboys only scored 20 + points only once the remainder of the season and unsurprisingly won only one more game. 1987, the year of the strike was a mediocre year (7-9) and 88 was a terrible year with Pelluer as the starting QB.

By then Danny White was in his mid 30s and the Cowboys didn’t have a legit quarterback. The backups, Pelluer, Sweeney et al. were all JAGs. Nobody to power the offense during those years after so much investment on that side of the ball. To me that was the difference in those years. The failure of addressing the QB position until 89 when Aikman became available. But by then it was too late for Landry.

Nevertheless, it would have been interesting to see a Cowboys team led by Tom Landry with many of the building blocks that had success in the 90’s as you mentioned above already in place and a young stud at QB. Granted perhaps there were no more Super Bowls, however I’m not that sure.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Cowboys would have had several sub 500 seasons until Landry retired.

We know this

Blue64

Reaction score
I think if he doesn't hire Johnson and turn the actual football stuff over to him, Booger is selling the team just like Bright was forced to do inside of 4 years.

Tom Landry was a great HC in his time but his time was over, he was no longer innovative and Brandt and Schramm had fallen off their game as well. They had a great run and 20 winning seasons in a row was an astonishing accomplishment.
He’s going to sell the team within 4 years?
This team has won nothing since the Jimmy Johnson teams and is now in a quarter century later the worlds most valuable sports franchise.
6 years in a row and despite the fact this team may not win another game this year, can you guess which team is going to win again next year?

I’m going a bit off topic as I agree with the rest of your comments.
However, if we want Jerrah to sell, stop buying merchandise and attending games.
Most importantly lose interest period, because as long as this team and it’s players are the focus of media and social media... Mr Jerrah Jones is enjoying every moment as his teams value is increasing daily.

Wether it be their current state or speculation about Dak’s contract etc...
Jerrah the ringleader of the cowboys circus always knows how to keep his team in the spotlight feeding the media frenzy and speculation after every carefully worded comment by him or his idiot son.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is a very interesting take. People always remember the mid and latter years of the 80’s as bad seasons. However, after losing three consecutive NFCCG from 80-82, in 83 they were 12-4 and lost in the WC game v. LA Rams. In 84 they famously missed the playoffs for the first time since the 60’s but they rebounded in 85 and won the NFCE only to lose to the LA Rams again in the playoffs.

.[snip]
Nevertheless, it would have been interesting to see a Cowboys team led by Tom Landry with many of the building blocks that had success in the 90’s as you mentioned above already in place and a young stud at QB. Granted perhaps there were no more Super Bowls, however I’m not that sure.

A minor correction, the Cowboys missed the playoffs in 1972. That was the year Roger got hurt early and only played a tiny bit. I think he was even hurt in preseason and missed the first 10-11 games and was the backup when he did get back .. I still think if you gave Landry a good roster he was going to win and win a lot. If Jerry kept Landry but maybe brought in someone more plugged into the college talent the results might have looked somewhat similar to what we saw with Jimmy. Until Coach Landry succumbed to cancer that is.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I thought of Landry as ancient at the time but he was 64 when he was fired. That doesn’t seem so old now. And he only had 2.5 bad seasons. The turning point was Danny White’s injury in 1986. From then on it was all downhill and the QB play was awful in 87 and 88. Landry would have drafted Aikman had he stayed as coach but not have traded Walker, would not have acquired Steve Walsh, would not have drafted Emmitt Smith, etc.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I thought of Landry as ancient at the time but he was 64 when he was fired. That doesn’t seem so old now. And he only had 2.5 bad seasons. The turning point was Danny White’s injury in 1986. From then on it was all downhill and the QB play was awful in 87 and 88. Landry would have drafted Aikman had he stayed as coach but not have traded Walker, would not have acquired Steve Walsh, would not have drafted Emmitt Smith, etc.

Yeah the narrative that Landry was some doddering old fool on the sidelines is way overblown. Dude was in better shape than half his players. He may have struggled to relate to the new generation of players but that's what assistants are for. No doubt that losing Danny in '86 doomed that team. Not getting competent QB play the rest of his tenure is what ultimately led to Tom's undoing. I honestly don't recall how many of the games missed by White were because of injuries or because Landry was experimenting with the other guys.. I think it was more injuries but I honestly can't remember.

physeter

Reaction score
A minor correction, the Cowboys missed the playoffs in 1972. That was the year Roger got hurt early and only played a tiny bit. I think he was even hurt in preseason and missed the first 10-11 games and was the backup when he did get back .. I still think if you gave Landry a good roster he was going to win and win a lot. If Jerry kept Landry but maybe brought in someone more plugged into the college talent the results might have looked somewhat similar to what we saw with Jimmy. Until Coach Landry succumbed to cancer that is.

Thanks for that!

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I dunno, maybe it's my age but I look at Landry with a bit of an awe simply because of the era he coached in. Guy probably forgot more about football than most people will ever know and I do subscribe to the idea that given a good team he would have won and perhaps produced the outcomes Jimmy did - I don't buy the idea that the game somehow passed him by. Wonder what Tom Landry's take would be on what the Cowboys have become.

No matter how much people want to claim that the game has changed it still very much comes down to ball control, reduced turnovers and winning in the trenches.

JJB500

Reaction score

That would be 1974 when they went 8-6, in 1972 they went 10-4 and lost to Washington in the NFCCG. Roger got hurt in 1972.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dunno, y'all think Landry couldn't have achieved anything more with Aikman, Emmit and Irvin? Or who knows what sort of team it would have been, maybe no Emmit or Aikman. Tough to tell but a football mind like Landry's

I think Landry would have done just fine. Maybe one SB. He had to rebuild the team. Jimmy built a powerhouse on a Walker trade no one could have anticipated. And hit on most of those picks. That approach is not what Landry would have done, and he said as much in an interview. That doesn't mean his approach would fail, but I think it's reasonable to predict it wouldn't have led to 3 SB in 4 years.

That said, the way things turned out wasn't so bad. Thanks in large part to the Giants and Cowboys that the 49ers don't have like 4 or 5 extra rings. Good God that would suck.

mrmojo

Reaction score
1974 they missed playoffs, 1972 was Rogers famous comeback after taking over for Morton against the Niners only to lose to the Skins in the championship game.