What would it do to Lance if Dak were given a new deal?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His resume? He has a 2-2 record and ended up the third QB in SF. After being dumped after only two seasons at least he’s being given an opportunity to be the #2 QB. Some of you need to get over his top 5 draft status. That doesn’t entitle him to anything. Right now he’s just trying salvage his NFL career.
Sometimes injuries can get you passed by. Like Romo. Dak was NOT a better QB. Would not have started over Tony if not for...and get this...

INJURY.

It happens. Don't let your hate get in the way of facts.

GMO415

Reaction score
Lance will be the starting QB in Dallas at the beginning of the 2025 season.

quickccc

Reaction score
To know that they gave up a 4th round pick for him, somewhere there had to be some kind of mention that he'd have a potential to earn playing time. If they ended up extending Dak, what does Lance do accept being the backup, or demand a trade??

I know we're talking about the same things, please don't be rude about it and stay on topic!
Gave up a 4th rd pick for an athletic, physical tooled " backup " QB.

- That's just a mid rd pick. not a 1st or 2nd .or even 3rd rd. pick.
Physically he has more upside and ceiling than a Mac Jones.
But it's just about physical tools and potential He's just not a made product.
Big arm, terrific mobility and run skills.

- This is an lesser game experienced Justin Fields, imo.

- Lance will earn that playing time thus summer. Training camp, preseason games
Unless there's a significant serious injury to Dak, there is no other way Lance will get it otherwise.

August is the target date and time to look for ... that should be the breaking news report on Dak,
who has a no-trade clause in his contract. Who will not be franchise tagged when this current contract
expires ,..and club will not allow him to hit free agency.

As for Lance ? .. Sorry i have ZERO faith in this current coaching staff, who have mis-used game breaking players
such as Pollard, Brandin Cooks, ..so i have very low expectations for Lance.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree let's just say that at this point Prescott has been so inept that even Jerry has decided to finally give up on his Dak project.
Time will tell.............
Jerry and mini-me painted themselves into a bad corner and believe that they have a chance to really discuss this major blunder and believe that they are going to be able to make the right decision. They danged if they do and danged if they don't, Daks money was never the real issue IMO, but the NTC and term was the real dagger.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agreed AC a high forth round pick could be our running back or an offensive lineman.
We got a lot of holes to fill and another quarterback just sitting on the bench all year is not what we need.
A well thought out draft pick that could play a lot of snaps this year would make a lot more sense
We also could use the $5M

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I was joking. The notion he’d have any feelings at all about Dak’s contract situation is absurd.
Gotcha, hard to tell nowadays if people are joking or actually serious when it come to Dak.

According to some of the posts around here, you would think Dak is 3rd string on a USFL team.:laugh:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
DAK will NOT be extended so the question is irrelevant.
I dont think Jerry shares your view on the matter............he was talking today about how certain he is that Dak is going to win a SB.

Lots of folks around here are going to need some Xanax when Dak inks a new deal.:laugh:

Chasing6

Reaction score
They could show case him in PS games. As if a QB is injured, he could bring a decent 2025 draft pick(s).
Or possibly a player for player and draft picks trade. Depends how desperate another team may be.
If he is traded, it has to be before preseason. We got him late and he had no time to prove anything. So trading him to a 3rd after preseason is going to accomplish what?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance has to show something in preseason or dak gets hurt and he shows something in the regular season.
Pre season will not help him get to another team. It will be too late for him to get reps and learn a new offense.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance is officially a backup now. Nobody is picking up that 5th year option to have him start. I guess Dallas could reach a deal with him as a backup to prevent him from hitting free agency. Lance would be wise to go for the backup spot in Dallas and wait to see how things pan out with Dak. At best he'll be signed somewhere (possibly even Dallas) to compete for a starting spot which might pay him a little more than a straight up backup role. Unfortunately for Dallas, even Trey Lance has leverage over the team.
His best option would be to extend with Dallas as a back up.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I dont think Jerry shares your view on the matter............he was talking today about how certain he is that Dak is going to win a SB.

Lots of folks around here are going to need some Xanax when Dak inks a new deal.:laugh:
he's been saying that for 8 years, time for him to talk about another qb

bigE79

Reaction score
To know that they gave up a 4th round pick for him, somewhere there had to be some kind of mention that he'd have a potential to earn playing time. If they ended up extending Dak, what does Lance do accept being the backup, or demand a trade??

I know we're talking about the same things, please don't be rude about it and stay on topic!
It would confirm my view that I will never see the cowboys win another SB,that's what the re signing of preschoke would do.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Nothing.

Anyone who thought Lance had a shot at being the starter except in an emergency was fooling themselves.

Even if Dak was cut, I’m sure the team would be looking for another QB.