What would it take for Cowboys to be Super Bowl contenders too?

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah, otherwise the Cowboys are all set. *makes room in the trophy case* :muttley:

I guess only 3 players away isn't quite as overly optimistic as 1 player away.

For folks that think this team needs an overhaul is crazy. This team doesn't need a a top 10, Top 5 defense to compete for a championship. You add 3 top to mid level free agents to the defense in the middle, the defense will be fine. I'm sorry you think the team needs to be overhauled.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
New team.

Honestly it takes a better defense and I don't mean one that looks good because the RB keeps them off the field but one that can get stops, make big plays (takeaways) and affect the QB without giving up big plays. Along with an offense that doesn't shrivel up vs good defenses.

Dre11

Reaction score
New team.

Honestly it takes a better defense and I don't mean one that looks good because the RB keeps them off the field but one that can get stops, make big plays (takeaways) and affect the QB without giving up big plays. Along with an offense that doesn't shrivel up vs good defenses.

Need big play players to make big plays which means you have to go spend the money, but most here want to worry about drafting players and money for the future. Well the future doesn't ever seem to come.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
LOL, reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke on how to become a millionaire....."Well, first....you get a million dollars... "

seriously though, Dallas will need a top 5 defense to be a contender. So get yourself a top 5 defense, then we'll talk.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL, reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke on how to become a millionaire....."Well, first....you get a million dollars... "

seriously though, Dallas will need a top 5 defense to be a contender. So get yourself a top 5 defense, then we'll talk.

They don't need a top 5 defense

Hadenough

Reaction score
So if we had dumped Dak and signed TB12 we would've avoided the historically bad defensive play and idiotic coaching?
Brady can overcome the bad play calling. Who knows how much he would of inspired the defense but I can guarantee you this team would of been better with Brady than with Dak.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Sign Rayshawn jenkins
Sign lawrence guy a super bowl champion
Sign Dak

Draft defenders with talent and attitude.

Its pretty easy

Big D

Reaction score
Brady can overcome the bad play calling. Who knows how much he would of inspired the defense but I can guarantee you this team would of been better with Brady than with Dak.
I think the only difference would be instead of getting his ankle snapped while on the run , Brady would've had his neck snapped in the pocket due to the terrible protection. :laugh:

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think the only difference would be instead of getting his ankle snapped while on the run , Brady would've had his neck snapped in the pocket due to the terrible protection. :laugh:
I was thinking that's possible but I've seen Brady adjust and get rid of the ball quickly against better defenses. He hasn't always needed to have a great offensive line because of that.

Johnny23

Reaction score
It would be nice to not have a team that you know is going to make a dumb penalty or turnover in the games you need to win to win it all.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
They don't need a top 5 defense

Yes they do. I guess you figure the offense will be able to carry the average defense to the Super Bowl. But it is inconsistent and especially against playoff caliber teams. Dak is also inconsistent against those teams so i don't figure he will be carrying that offense and moreso coming off that gruesome injury. We are talking about SB contenders not just NFCE division winners or wild card. They will need a top 5 defense to carry the inconsistent offense as it is now. And that defense will need to create a lot more turnovers than the offense gives up.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes they do. I guess you figure the offense will be able to carry the average defense to the Super Bowl. But it is inconsistent and especially against playoff caliber teams. Dak is also inconsistent against those teams so i don't figure he will be carrying that offense and moreso coming off that gruesome injury. We are talking about SB contenders not just NFCE division winners or wild card. They will need a top 5 defense to carry the inconsistent offense as it is now. And that defense will need to create a lot more turnovers than the offense gives up.

No they don't, we can win with a defense within the top 15 overall, somewhere in the top 10 in scoring and top 15 in takeaways. The offense is good enough as constructed now, not worrying about Dak's injury, he'll be fine. We haven't even seen this offense at its best yet and it's good now, top 5 when Healthy.

quickccc

Reaction score
Championship caliber DEFENSE .....something the Jones don't want to seem to emphasize ... cannot do it with just draft only and bargain binge shopping :angry:

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
The Boyz defense has been ignored for years, especially the secondary, I think Jerry believes a flashy offense is all he needs to rake in the big bucks.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys will never win a Super Bowl with a dysfunctional GM that’s sucks the air out of the room and hires coaches he can dominate and control.

The cowboys will win again when Jerry Jones is no longer in the picture .

Bizwah

Reaction score
It's been a long time since we had a defense that could control a game. I can remember thinking in 2014 that even if Dez's catch counted, and we score a TD, we probably still lose. We couldn't consistently stop teams when it counted.

Jerry is all over the place with his drafting. We saw him earlier in his career (after Jimmy left), draft backups and special teamers....because our starters were so good. Then he forced picks for need. That's how we ended up with Kavika Pittman, Ebenezer Ekuban, and Dwyane Goodrich. He had success after listening to Parcells. I think McClay is good. Jerry just needs to listen to him. McClay had TJ Watt as a better player over Taco Charlton, but was overruled by Marenelli. All the defensive players we drafted for Marenelli were supposed to fit a certain physical criteria. This really hurt us.

Honestly, Jerry is the reason. You can't really point the finger anywhere else.

One of the best teams (talent-wise) I feel we had, was our 2007 team. We had everything on that team. A young, upcoming QB. A group of talented WRs. A great TE. A good OL. We had a great DL and LB corps. Our secondary wasn't great, but it was solid.

We were poised that year....Parcells had left us in great shape to contend. All Jerry had to do was choose a coach that could take the next step. Any coach in the world would have jumped at the chance to coach that team.

Who did Jerry choose?

Wade Phillips. A great DC to be sure. But he had failed twice as a head coach.

I really feel we won't win another SB until Jerry gives up control of the team. For years I denied that. I felt he really would do what it took. But now, I think he's just everywhere with his philosophy of how to build a winner.