What would it take to get Leinart or Young?

nathanlt

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a chance to lock in a long term QB for Dallas. I know that Parcells is unlikely to start with a young kid next year, and I know Young SAID he's not declaring for the draft this year.

If we could get someone with promise, like Leinart or Young, would it be worth, say, 2 first rounders? If Young is the next Michael Vick, is that where we want to go? There's always controversy about a running QB.

That being said, is Leinart the way to go? Will he stand up to the pressure of an NFL defense? Pete Carroll was not a great success in the NFL.

I'm a bit impatient, but I want to see the Cowboys take it to the next level. Bledsoe's ability to improve by leaps and bounds is nil. His ability is offset somewhat by 4 or 5 errant throws per game. Gets on my nerves.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
It would be nice to land Young or Leinart, and this is how we'll do it:

We find out everyone in front of us for the 2006 Draft and then we poison the water supply!!!

nathanlt

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
It would be nice to land Young or Leinart, and this is how we'll do it:

We find out everyone in front of us for the 2006 Draft and then we poison the water supply!!!

Humor me, I just want to dream a little. :laugh2:

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Leinart is the only true QB prospect I have liked since Carson Palmer because he has all the features you want in a QB,

1. size
2. mental game
3. arm strength
4. maturity and age
5. played legitimate competition in college

I was never sure of Alex Smith because he played against weak competition in college and was involved in a very gimmick-like offense (spread option)

I think it will take at least a first and second to acquire and maybe more

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
lol, or just make Leinart or Young refuse to sign with anyone other than the cowboys(a la Eli Manning)

mullet

Reaction score
the cowboys don't need to load up on draft picks anymore. they are in position, with the young defensive talent on board, to trade up. package all the picks necessary to take the QB of the future - whoever they like - just do it. it will take a bevy of picks, but that is ok. what I worry about is two ships passing in the night - this young defense being wasted by year after year of sub-par offense. do something now to avoid that fate.
(and I have seen enough of bledsoe).

lwehlers

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I would do whatever it took to trade up for Leinart. He is the real deal

there is no way that jones will be able to trade up and get leinart with parcells here. parcells will not want to give up draft picks for one guy. he does not believe that you need a big time qb to win in this league. next year bill will make jerry focus on the o-line with our first day picks. we might also be in the market for a wr in middle rounds. parcells probaly thinks that we could win with romo if we had a decent o-line protecting him. also it would not matter if we had leinart now with the way the o-line is now he would get sacked everytime he drops to throw.

utrunner07

Reaction score
lwehlers said:
also it would not matter if we had leinart now with the way the o-line is now he would get sacked everytime he drops to throw.

exactly, turn around the O line this year, with young guys, and then get a QB. in 2007 we draft Quinn.

lwehlers

Reaction score
utrunner07 said:
exactly, turn around the O line this year, with young guys, and then get a QB. in 2007 we draft Quinn.

now brady quinn is my dream qb for this team right now then leinart. i think leinart is a westcoast qb. he does not throw the deep out passes well in my opinion. he is not as good as palmer was in that usc offense. if leinart did not have bush at rb he be would exposed more. to me quinn will be a better qb to draft because i think he reads defenses better then leinart.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I doubt we'll get a franchise guy in here until at least 2 years after BP is gone. We are too middle of the pack right now to draft one, and I think we'll draft mid 20s until after BP is gone.

Best we could hope for is a gem in the late rounds.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Leinart is the only true QB prospect I have liked since Carson Palmer because he has all the features you want in a QB,

1. size
2. mental game
3. arm strength
4. maturity and age
5. played legitimate competition in college

I was never sure of Alex Smith because he played against weak competition in college and was involved in a very gimmick-like offense (spread option)

I think it will take at least a first and second to acquire and maybe more

***? Leinart is mentally gifted and has arm strength? Have you ever watched him play?

First off, Leinart does not have an arm strength worthy of a first round pick. Just watch some USC games and you will see.

Second of all, Leinart can't be that smart. He stays at USC for another year because Norm Chow was supposed to be there, then gets upset when Norm leaves for the NFL. Leinart should have left for the NFL last year when he was a sure lock for the #1 pick.

College life is great, but making money feels good.

btcutter

Reaction score
I'll pass on both. Sorry, horns fan, Young will be nothing more than a great college QB.

Give me Brady Quinn any day, twice on Sundays.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
***? Leinart is mentally gifted and has arm strength? Have you ever watched him play?

First off, Leinart does not have an arm strength worthy of a first round pick. Just watch some USC games and you will see.

Second of all, Leinart can't be that smart. He stays at USC for another year because Norm Chow was supposed to be there, then gets upset when Norm leaves for the NFL. Leinart should have left for the NFL last year when he was a sure lock for the #1 pick.

College life is great, but making money feels good.
Leinart=bust, 100s of college QBs would look great on that team.

utrunner07

Reaction score
btcutter said:
I'll pass on both. Sorry, horns fan, Young will be nothing more than a great college QB.

Give me Brady Quinn any day, twice on Sundays.

heck, im a huge horn fan and so vince young is awsome, but there is no way I would want him as a Cowboy. Quinn is the man we will get, but not this year.

2much2soon

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Leinart=bust, 100s of college QBs would look great on that team.

Thats funny.
Remember when somebody said that about the Cowboys and head coaches?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Leinart is very overrated. Look at his supporting cast. Now watch that UCLA game. He threw SOOOOOOOO many high passes that game. His arm is NOT overly strong. I think he's a Ryan Leaf waiting to happen. Or a solid nfl qb AT BEST

Young is a better choice out of the two. He is a bigger, smarter version of Vick. Not quite as fast, but way faster than Cul and McNabb. He is 6-4 240 compared to vick 6-0 215. He makes good reads,and forces the ball in their. Which is good and bad.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Muhast said:
Leinart is very overrated. Look at his supporting cast. Now watch that UCLA game. He threw SOOOOOOOO many high passes that game. His arm is NOT overly strong. I think he's a Ryan Leaf waiting to happen. Or a solid nfl qb AT BEST

Young is a better choice out of the two. He is a bigger, smarter version of Vick. Not quite as fast, but way faster than Cul and McNabb. He is 6-4 240 compared to vick 6-0 215. He makes good reads,and forces the ball in their. Which is good and bad.

I don't want Leinart or Young.