What would you want for Byron Jones?

xpistofer

Reaction score
Obviously, he is a top-flight corner. Though his (non turnover) stats were elite last year, he seemed to come back down to earth toward the end of the year. With his impending contract and the potential that this is a sell high situation, what kind of reasonable offer could be out there for him? (And does his hip surgery impact his trade value?)

I really would love to see us trade him perhaps for a late #1. We have figured out how to play the Patriots front office game a bit, except for accumulating draft picks. We need to get better at that, and this may be one way we can do it.
Anything specific out there that you could see happening, or am I simply playing Madden?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Doubt anyone will trade for him with no long-term deal. If he earns a high-dollar contract this year, so be it, but you would at least get a comp pick for him.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I don't think I would trade him unless wowed with a pick and I don't think that would happen without a long term deal in place. Would extend him instead. We can afford it.

Techsass

Reaction score
Seems we've moved from acquiring to dumping players. BJ & Jourdan Lewis are the current favorites to be traded.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't think I would trade him unless wowed with a pick and I don't think that would happen without a long term deal in place. Would extend him instead. We can afford it.

Dak, Cooper & Zeke are priorities before Jones.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This year is not about flipping players for picks.

This is rapidly becoming an all-in year. Quinn, Cobb, and Witten make clear we've got a 2019 focus.

Richard will be gone next year. Moore will grow a dumb beard and be in demand.

The time is now.

We aren't gonna try to get a future pick for a starter

VACowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't think about it until someone puts a first on the table, and I'd want more than that. It'd be different if he were 30+ or playing like crap but Byron is 26 and was a huge part of our defensive success this past season. At which point in the draft are you assured of acquiring a Pro Bowl corner? I really hate trading good players for picks that you use for replacing them with unknown quantities. Unless someone blows me away with an offer, his contract ask is ridiculous or he just wants out of Dallas, I'm franchising him until we get a contract hammered out.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Zeke said he wanted $this year....he might holdout

Is he going to hold out for 2 years? He's not a free agent until 2021.

I think all of them can be done. Especially when you consider that Amari's extension will add to the cap room. Plus Hurns could be cut. Plus next year there will several high dollar contracts likely to go away. Lee, Witten, Quinn unless he is re-signed. La'el Collins. Even Crawford might be in danger next year. Plus there is likely to be rollower money left over from this year plus there will likely be another increase in the cap.

If they can't all be done this offseason then Zeke is the one that is going to have to wait. If he decides to hold out then we can talk about trading him with two years of control. Jones is the one with only one year left and he is looking like he is a valuable piece of the puzzle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously, he is a top-flight corner. Though his (non turnover) stats were elite last year, he seemed to come back down to earth toward the end of the year. With his impending contract and the potential that this is a sell high situation, what kind of reasonable offer could be out there for him? (And does his hip surgery impact his trade value?)

I really would love to see us trade him perhaps for a late #1. We have figured out how to play the Patriots front office game a bit, except for accumulating draft picks. We need to get better at that, and this may be one way we can do it.
Anything specific out there that you could see happening, or am I simply playing Madden?

The Cowboys are setup to win now. They are not trading Byron Jones.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If were going to trade anyone it should be La'el Collins. He is the one I don't think fits into the long term plans. Jourdan Lewis possibly as well. Not because he isn't worth keeping around but for not fitting the parameters desired by Richard.

GenoT

Reaction score
Would want his initials...preferably by a cute blonde.

:thumbup:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As much as I'd love Byron Jones to better his ball skills, he's plenty good, as is.

Seriously, I doubt he's going anywhere, despite that highly forgivable limitation.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Byron had a recent hip surgery which may account for his play dipping a bit towards the end of the season. With that said....I would want a 1st round pick and a guarantee that I would be able to draft a CB that is better than Byron. Of course there is no guarantee on that so maybe figuring out a way to pay him would be our best option if feasible.

Proof

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on where negotiations begin for his extension. If it’s readonsble I’d like to keep him, if it’s market setting or even current market value I’d take a 2nd