What would you want for Byron Jones?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'd take a 2nd in a second
Why?

why would you take a second round pick for a guy you paid a 1st for? who is now a top 5 corner (in most people's eyes, right)? who is in the prime of his career? who has never had health \ availability issues? who has no off field issues? ie, who is a known commodity?

the asset has increased in value. If I'm going to entertain a trade, its going to have to compensate me for my original investment plus my investment in developing the player which will be a valuable contributor to your organization on day 1.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Why would I be looking for anything? If someone gave me a call and offered a premium pick, it's certainly something you think about - but we should be in no rush to rid of a good corner in his prime.

LOL also "Zeke is a priority" tells you the problem with this team right now.

J12B

Reaction score
Why?

why would you take a second round pick for a guy you paid a 1st for? who is now a top 5 corner (in most people's eyes, right)? who is in the prime of his career? who has never had health \ availability issues? who has no off field issues? ie, who is a known commodity?

the asset has increased in value. If I'm going to entertain a trade, its going to have to compensate me for my original investment plus my investment in developing the player which will be a valuable contributor to your organization on day 1.

Byron Jones will more than likely be a player Dallas can't keep due to the extensions of Lawrence, Cooper, Dak, Zeke, and Jaylon Smith. If we let him walk in free agency, he will probably result in a 3rd round comp pick in the 2021 draft. That's why I'd take a second now in 2019.

No doubt he played solid for Dallas last year, but he tailed off the last quarter of the season. Not to mention that he does not follow #1 receivers and plays only on the left side, where the #2 receivers mainly play. He also has 2 interceptions in 4 years and 0 as a top 5 corner last year. That's terrible.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Byron Jones will more than likely be a player Dallas can't keep due to the extensions of Lawrence, Cooper, Dak, Zeke, and Jaylon Smith. If we let him walk in free agency, he will probably result in a 3rd round comp pick in the 2021 draft. That's why I'd take a second now in 2019.

No doubt he played solid for Dallas last year, but he tailed off the last quarter of the season. Not to mention that he does not follow #1 receivers and plays only on the left side, where the #2 receivers mainly play. He also has 2 interceptions in 4 years and 0 as a top 5 corner last year. That's terrible.
I get that we could get squeezed when it comes time to sign everyone next year and we might not have as much leverage. But now, i'm holding firm for some value as he is one of the few players on our team that is legit top 5 at their position plus he plays a premium position. If not now, injuries will happen and someone will really need a corner during training camp. I just feel we undervalue our assets and overvalue when we acquire. Pet peeve of mine. FWIW, I'm not necessarily "for" trading Byron (suffered thru some terrible years at corner) but I am a person who believes everyone on the team is tradeable if the situation is right.

cern

Reaction score
a first round pick with a pro bowl appearance should command a lot. prefer we keep him. we whiffed on mo. carr was never more than a jag with the cowboys. we've waited years to get a truly outstanding cb. now that we finally have one, I wouldn't be so quick to rid ourselves of his services.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on where negotiations begin for his extension. If it’s readonsble I’d like to keep him, if it’s market setting or even current market value I’d take a 2nd
I've not even seen projections for his next contract anywhere. Should be interesting.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Obviously, he is a top-flight corner. Though his (non turnover) stats were elite last year, he seemed to come back down to earth toward the end of the year. With his impending contract and the potential that this is a sell high situation, what kind of reasonable offer could be out there for him? (And does his hip surgery impact his trade value?)

I really would love to see us trade him perhaps for a late #1. We have figured out how to play the Patriots front office game a bit, except for accumulating draft picks. We need to get better at that, and this may be one way we can do it.
Anything specific out there that you could see happening, or am I simply playing Madden?
why trade a top flight CB? and then what? go draft one? which is a gamble..... I understand it comes down to money and its between Dak, Cooper, Zeke and Jones..... but we drafted so many CBs to find the #1 corner we are looking for and now, lose him...I doubt if anyone would give a 1st for a CB in the last year of his contract looking to get paid....I rather see if we can find a way to keep him

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You could go here or there, looking for a CB that's got everything and then some. When it comes down to one who's next to impossible to replace, Byron's that guy! Others might get you a pick here or there but Byron is one who will cover that WR well enough to seriously ruin his game. Admit it or not, this team is better off with one who can make the best of opponents a far lesser threat. Fight it if you will, or come to take Byron for the winner that he is!

Last edited:

Wood

Reaction score
Obviously, he is a top-flight corner. Though his (non turnover) stats were elite last year, he seemed to come back down to earth toward the end of the year. With his impending contract and the potential that this is a sell high situation, what kind of reasonable offer could be out there for him? (And does his hip surgery impact his trade value?)

I really would love to see us trade him perhaps for a late #1. We have figured out how to play the Patriots front office game a bit, except for accumulating draft picks. We need to get better at that, and this may be one way we can do it.
Anything specific out there that you could see happening, or am I simply playing Madden?

I would need late 1st rounder for him. He was late 1st round pick who is not a bust but rather made it to pro bowl.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I don't think Zeke is. I think Zeke will be the Franchise Tag player and when it's done, we will go out and draft another. JMO

You don't draft a back 4th overall unless you're planning on giving him a 2nd contract.

The Natural

Reaction score
Why?

lmao

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You don't draft a back 4th overall unless you're planning on giving him a 2nd contract.

Why not? I mean, I wouldn't draft a back 4th overall regardless but, if you are going to decide to do that, why would you not consider that option?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not? I mean, I wouldn't draft a back 4th overall regardless but, if you are going to decide to do that, why would you not consider that option?

Because it would make no sense to take any player in the top 5 of the draft that you don't plan on giving a 2nd contract. You could really extend that to the entire first round.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because it would make no sense to take any player in the top 5 of the draft that you don't plan on giving a 2nd contract. You could really extend that to the entire first round.

Agreed, but that discussion was had years ago. However, if you decide that you are going to take a RB that high, then why not consider this option? You get the 5th year option because he's a first round player, you get 3 years of potential Tags, which both protects you from signing a back who hits the wall and is no longer productive and it allows for 8 full years of service with no long term risk. I mean, do you see Elliott last for more then 8 seasons at the top of his game?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, but that discussion was had years ago. However, if you decide that you are going to take a RB that high, then why not consider this option? You get the 5th year option because he's a first round player, you get 3 years of potential Tags, which both protects you from signing a back who hits the wall and is no longer productive and it allows for 8 full years of service with no long term risk. I mean, do you see Elliott last for more then 8 seasons at the top of his game?

I think Ezekiel Elliott is Emmitt Smith and once you make that commitment to use the 4th overall pick of the draft on him you are married to that player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Ezekiel Elliott is Emmitt Smith and once you make that commitment to use the 4th overall pick of the draft on him you are married to that player.

I don't see that at all. Emmitt, as a very young player, came into the league with the ability to avoid the big hit. Elliott has never shown that. He takes way too many hard shots, I don't think he is Emmitt. I mean, he is very good and I believe he is among the very best, if not the best, in the NFL right now but I don't see Emmitt in Elliott. Different players to me.

Besides, if he does manage to play strong for 8 seasons, the team can always sign him in season 9 and lets be honest, how many teams are going to be interested in putting out big, long term contract offers to a RB going into his 9th season? Chances are that the Cowboys would be in the best situation to resign him, at that point anyway IMO.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I mean, in a way, if you think about it, RB is one of the very best positions to Tag. The position itself is relatively low expense because of how backs are valued in todays game. If you tag a QB it's very painful but a back, that's not nearly as bad. IDK.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it's just me but Lord Byron is the best player in the secondary and without someone to take his place, I wouldn't trade him. He's not a picker or shut down but he's an important piece in that secondary. He is top 10.