What would you want for Byron Jones?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see that at all. Emmitt, as a very young player, came into the league with the ability to avoid the big hit. Elliott has never shown that. He takes way too many hard shots, I don't think he is Emmitt. I mean, he is very good and I believe he is among the very best, if not the best, in the NFL right now but I don't see Emmitt in Elliott. Different players to me.

Besides, if he does manage to play strong for 8 seasons, the team can always sign him in season 9 and lets be honest, how many teams are going to be interested in putting out big, long term contract offers to a RB going into his 9th season? Chances are that the Cowboys would be in the best situation to resign him, at that point anyway IMO.
Agree, Elliott is expendable and replaceable and he's one hurdle from being on the bicycle to nowhere. The priority on offense should be the OL, not a RB, that is the last.

That's not to say he isn't a good player but there are at least 5-8 good RBs coming out every year and with a good OL, they can be effective. No team, including DAL, LA, NO or NYG is going anywhere with the best run game in the league without an effective pass game. And that's not new, even when Emmitt was leading the charge, it was the pass game and him within that pass game that balanced it out.

If they're going to extend him, he better become a lot more effective in the pass game. He needs to be like Fred Taylor or Marshall Faulk and he's a good receiver, they just haven't used him enough but Kellen the Young might just make him more valuable.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Obviously, he is a top-flight corner. Though his (non turnover) stats were elite last year, he seemed to come back down to earth toward the end of the year. With his impending contract and the potential that this is a sell high situation, what kind of reasonable offer could be out there for him? (And does his hip surgery impact his trade value?)

I really would love to see us trade him perhaps for a late #1. We have figured out how to play the Patriots front office game a bit, except for accumulating draft picks. We need to get better at that, and this may be one way we can do it.
Anything specific out there that you could see happening, or am I simply playing Madden?

Currently what I want is to see if he can build on what he did last year. If he can play like a lock-down corner, then I have no problem with Dallas paying him like a lock-down corner. But I want to see him pick up playing like he was for most of this season.

I don't pay either Jones or Dak this offseason because I want to see sustained success. If we wanted to redo Zeke's deal or Cooper's I'd be OK with that. In fact, I'd prefer we redo Cooper's deal to lower his cap hit.

visionary

Reaction score
This year is not about flipping players for picks.

This is rapidly becoming an all-in year. Quinn, Cobb, and Witten make clear we've got a 2019 focus.

Richard will be gone next year. Moore will grow a dumb beard and be in demand.

The time is now.

We aren't gonna try to get a future pick for a starter

Garrett and Moore make clear you're wrong

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Obviously, he is a top-flight corner. Though his (non turnover) stats were elite last year, he seemed to come back down to earth toward the end of the year. With his impending contract and the potential that this is a sell high situation, what kind of reasonable offer could be out there for him? (And does his hip surgery impact his trade value?)

I really would love to see us trade him perhaps for a late #1. We have figured out how to play the Patriots front office game a bit, except for accumulating draft picks. We need to get better at that, and this may be one way we can do it.
Anything specific out there that you could see happening, or am I simply playing Madden?

Id like to trade him too. Even for a high 2nd rounder.

I see us drafting a CD at least with our 3rd round pick. We have to replace him. No way we gonna pay the salary he will demand

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

This is rapidly becoming an all-in year. Quinn, Cobb, and Witten make clear we've got a 2019 focus.

The time is now.

Agree 100% on 2019 all-in approach but I'm also 100% confident that if Moore has a successful season enough to warrant HC interviews, they will show Garrett the door. No way in hell they will allow their own homegrown young successful offensive coordinator to leave for another team IMO. They just assume fire Garrett and hire Moore as our own head coach. However, I can see two exceptions, maybe, 2019 ends with a Super Bowl appearance ( hard not to extend Garrett regardless) or Sean Peyton is hired ( will be his own offensive coor ). Otherwise, a Moore "in demand" will only be a head coach for the Cowboys IMO.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

Hopeful, but wishful thinking category a 3nd. Realistically? Anywhere from 4 to 6.

Flamma

Reaction score
One of our better players. I'd wait to see if we can win with him before I traded him.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Well, let BJ play this year out then we'll see.

Haha...if y'all say the RB is expendable throw the QB into that category too cause w/o #21 he's done.

bb721

Reaction score

The time is now.

I agree with everything you said. Well, maybe not the beard thing. BUT, theoretically, if the front office thinks that they might not be able to resign everyone they might choose to pay Amari, Dak, Zeke and its possible that even though they love Byron Jones he could be the odd man out. If that is their thought process they could get better value in return by trading him than what they would get as a comp pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
He is worth a first round pick in terms of his ability. The problem is that whoever trades for him will have to "pay" him a significant contract. So that's probably going to drive the price down in terms of draft capital.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I would call K.C. and say Hey pick 29, 61 and 63 for Byron Jones and pick 90.

29 Jonathan Abrams S
58 Jace Sternberger TE
61 Chauncey Garner-Johnson CB\S
63 Isiah Johnson CB