What your Prototypical LB that you want to see?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Highly instinctual/intelligent, fast game speed, mentally/physically strong/tough enough to handle MLB duties.

Basically, a more durable version of Sean Lee or a more physically gifted Dat Nguyen.

Height? 6-0 to 6-3.
Weight? 240-250lbs.
4.60 speed or better in 40yd.

These are pretty much standard MLB measurables, but the intelligence, real playing speed and toughness is what HAS to be there.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
We need big angry thumpers in the middle. With good football awareness, that can finish with authority. LVE is that, when healthy.
Does LVE really finish with authority? I remember when the Vikings talked about the Duo of Kendrick’s and Barr. They loved Kendricks but the word on Barr as good as he was is he looks like Tarzan but at times plays like Jane. LVE has the look you would want, but him meeting RBs in the hole or even waiting for the RB to come to him is quite frustrating. Understandably his Injuries are a cause for his concern.

kskboys

Reaction score
And overutilized in the wrong ways. We would have been better off with Parsons on the bench for run downs than at DE. He was a genuine liability relative to the options we had. Both Armstrong and DLaw are good run defenders, and both give a decent rush should the team pass.

It's funny. We're so often wasting our most dynamic players. Felix and Pollard are other examples, though Pollard wasn't dynamic this year.
We are just so notorious for the square peg round hole shoving. Ratliff, there's another. He was not a NT.

kskboys

Reaction score
Does LVE really finish with authority? I remember when the Vikings talked about the Duo of Kendrick’s and Barr. They loved Kendricks but the word on Barr as good as he was is he looks like Tarzan but at times plays like Jane. LVE has the look you would want, but him meeting RBs in the hole or even waiting for the RB to come to him is quite frustrating. Understandably his Injuries are a cause for his concern.
Before the injuries, absolutely. After, sadly no.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
LVE was never a spit-knocker, but as a rookie, he was a special tackler in space. He had a huge wingspan and elite quickness to corral RBs and receivers, then he'd just drop them with his extra 50 lbs of weight. Nobody got YAC on him... it was like death and taxes level certainty.

He's still not a bad tackler, but everything about him's just been slower and more hesitant since his neck injury.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Where are you getting that from? I'm hearing the complete opposite.
Micah Parsons at linebacker?

Just watch him lol.

The only thing he’s good at is running sideways and coming down hill as a blitzed but his instincts for the position are not there.

But you ask him to rush QBs and it’s easy for him.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
LVE was never a spit-knocker, but as a rookie, he was a special tackler in space. He had a huge wingspan and elite quickness to corral RBs and receivers, then he'd just drop them with his extra 50 lbs of weight. Nobody got YAC on him... it was like death and taxes level certainty.

He's still not a bad tackler, but everything about him's just been slower and more hesitant since his neck injury.
It’s crazy how things have changed. I barely remember his rookie season. But I remember him and Jaylon together side like to side line causing issues. Now all I seem to remember is Jaylon swiping being down two scores and LVE looking like he’s running in sand but not really going anywhere.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It’s crazy how things have changed. I barely remember his rookie season. But I remember him and Jaylon together side like to side line causing issues. Now all I seem to remember is Jaylon swiping being down two scores and LVE looking like he’s running in sand but not really going anywhere.

I sat there watching this video looking like the sad Wolverine meme.

MV5BOTU3M2YxYTItYzE5Yi00NThjLTllZjMtZmNiZmQ3NWRmMTRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MzQwMjgz._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We are just so notorious for the square peg round hole shoving. Ratliff, there's another. He was not a NT.
Would have been nice to see him get more of a chance as a 4-3 DT. Ideal Marinelli 1T.

Too bad about the falling out with the Cowboys. Would have been interesting to seem him line up in camp in 2013 and beyond against Frederick. Make Fredbeard work for it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Micah Parsons at linebacker?

Just watch him lol.

The only thing he’s good at is running sideways and coming down hill as a blitzed but his instincts for the position are not there.

But you ask him to rush QBs and it’s easy for him.
Disagree. You're not seeing instincts simply because they're not having him use them. Which is sick. You cannot make an assessment about LB instincts for a player who's playing DE, especially when their sole responsibility is to go at the Qb like his hair is on fire.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Disagree. You're not seeing instincts simply because they're not having him use them. Which is sick. You cannot make an assessment about LB instincts for a player who's playing DE, especially when their sole responsibility is to go at the Qb like his hair is on fire.
He looked average at it in college and average at it in the Pro’s.

Hes way above average getting QBs. Its a no brainer.

The last time we played him at linebacker all game was against the Packers the year before last season and he was a complete no show and Rodgers beat us again.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He looked average at it in college and average at it in the Pro’s.

Hes way above average getting QBs. Its a no brainer.

The last time we played him at linebacker all game was against the Packers the year before last season and he was a complete no show and Rodgers beat us again.
Luulz, he was an All American and won the Butkus Award playing LB in college.

He also played fantastic as an off ball LB during his rookie season.

Nothing like someone watching football from a TV screen at a bird’s eye view and proclaiming “meh, he doesn’t have instincts.”

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Luulz, he was an All American and won the Butkus Award playing LB in college.

He also played fantastic as an off ball LB during his rookie season.

Nothing like someone watching football from a TV screen at a bird’s eye view and proclaiming “meh, he doesn’t have instincts.”
He ran fast sideways and was a good blitzed. Nothing more.

I’m right and the Cowboys agree with me thank goodness.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He ran fast sideways and was a good blitzed. Nothing more.

I’m right and the Cowboys agree with me thank goodness.
Pass rusher is an impact position. Micah’s very good at that, which is why the Cowboys value him more there. That fact doesn’t somehow equate to him sucking as a LB. The facts demonstrate you’re wrong. But please, continue trying to evaluate something nebulous like “instincts” by staring at YouTube clips on your laptop.