What's Randy Gregory's value

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know he's not a free agent until 2022 but let say we approached him about a long-term deal. How much is fair considering potential vs risk? He just showed his ceiling is STILL pretty high but boy, you can't overlook or lose sight of his personal demons.

Since he's signed for 2021 ( $2.2M ), I guess there's time to work it out but if we could him signed BEFORE his current deal runs out in 2022, how would you offer? I'm thinking $10-12M per but if we wait and he blows up 2021 with 12-15 sacks or more, you can forget it. He won't sign for anything less than the tag.

It's tricky but I'd certainly try......

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/randy-gregory-16784/

Kaiser

Reaction score
Above average starting RDE in a 4-3 that's Randy Gregory's value in this league. I wouldn't worry about him getting into trouble either cause smoke marijuana is no longer a issue, so he's golden.

I believe he will do it, but I want to see him producing on the field until the end of next season before I worry about his next contract. He is signed for cheap until then, so I'll take the next 17 games as compensation for the games he missed.

I will also say this game permanently ended the Robert Quinn resigning rueage.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Funny how earlier in the season we were concerned about if could afford Aldon. Heck, I'm not sure he'll even get an offer....lol

Give Aldon a full offseason of real conditioning and then have him, Gregory and DLaw on the field at the same time. Then an improved Gallimore and Hill rotating at 3T with two high draft picks joining the secondary.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Above average starting RDE in a 4-3 that's Randy Gregory's value in this league. I wouldn't worry about him getting into trouble either cause smoke marijuana is no longer a issue, so he's golden.

:huh: Why not? The NFL hasn't banned weed smoking. They only loosen the penalty ...... so it's still an issue (IMO).

Praxit

Reaction score
..Pay the man, Jerry. A few heat lamps will do. ; )..

conner01

Reaction score
That’s a tough one
If you want to keep him now is the time to sign him
And I think since half the money he’s made in his career he’s lost to fine I think you could structure a deal that’s pretty team friendly
I suspect he needs some cash so you might get a real good deal if you did a decent signing bonus
And a decent bonus for a guy who hasn’t made much money may be a relatively small amount of money in NFL terms
10-12 seems like about the market rate but I think if you threw a nice signing bonus at him you could get a great structure
There are risks with him but I suspect the team knows how great those risks are and I’d have some serious terms dealing with behavior

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Give Aldon a full offseason of real conditioning and then have him, Gregory and DLaw on the field at the same time. Then an improved Gallimore and Hill rotating at 3T with two high draft picks joining the secondary.

So you're saying our DLine may be fine after all........maybe little tweaking here and there.

JayFord

Reaction score
If he can stay on the field hes a 10 year guy and he’s productive

issue is can he stay on the field? The Kid can play

J12B

Reaction score
I think the best approach is to have Gregory play out his final year at 2.2 million.

Even if he does have a big year next season, I would have to think he would want to stay with Dallas with all the loyalty they've shown him and sign a team friendly deal no matter what.

I think he has to have loyalty to Dallas and the Jones by now lol

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That’s a tough one
If you want to keep him now is the time to sign him
And I think since half the money he’s made in his career he’s lost to fine I think you could structure a deal that’s pretty team friendly
I suspect he needs some cash so you might get a real good deal if you did a nice signing bonus
10-12 seems like about the market rate but I think if you threw a nice signing bonus at him you could get a great structure

Exactly my thinking Con....if you believe he's part of the future, you try and sign him now IMO

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I'd say he has the potential to be an elite situational player. No way do I sign him with the intent to play or pay him as a 3 down player.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think the best approach is to have Gregory play put his final year at 2.2 million.

Even if he does have a big year next season, I would have to think he would want to stay with Dallas with all the loyalty they've shown him and sign a team friendly deal no matter what.

I think he has to have loyalty to Dallas and the Jones by now lol

Understand but it's not about loyalty but how much he will cost before 2021 vs 2022 in case he has a Pro Bowl 2021 year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
So you're saying our DLine may be fine after all........maybe little tweaking here and there.

We need a bull rush NT though, but you can get a good one in the second or third round because those guys drop. Kuwanne Short was slotted as a first round pick and fell to the middle of the second and he has been to two Pro Bowls. Rotate Hill and Gallimore at 3T and have that kind of guy with Antwuan Woods backing him up at NT and then let the edge guys run wild!