What's the biggest difference between Sean Lee & Luke Kuechly?

perrykemp

Reaction score
When healthy Lee is much better than Kuechly. Of course, we know where the healthy part comes in.

I know Lee is injured a lot which means all we can do is speculate, however, I think it's a big stretch to say "When healthy, Lee is much better than Kuechly".

Lee was at least as healthy at Kuechly this year most of this year (Kuechly missed 3 games due to a concussion) and had a grand total of 1 turnover (1 interception, 0 forced fumbles, fumble recoveries). Kuechly had 4 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery.... as an example.

Luke Kuechly
  • 24 years old
  • 591 tackles
  • 11 interceptions
  • 3 1-team All-Pro selections
  • 1 Defensive MVP of the NFL (in the running for a 2nd this year)
Sean Lee
  • 29 years old
  • 422 tackles
  • 12 interceptions
  • 0 1st-team All-Pros

perrykemp

Reaction score
Kuechly is better in pass coverage, Lee is better vs the run

No.
Tackles Per Game (career averages)
Kuechly averages 9.6 tackles per game
Lee averages 7.0 tackles per game

Tackles Per Season (career averages)
Kuechly averages 148 tackles per season
Lee averages 84 tackles per season

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I know Lee is injured a lot which means all we can do is speculate, however, I think it's a big stretch to say "When healthy, Lee is much better than Kuechly".

Lee was at least as healthy at Kuechly this year most of this year (Kuechly missed 3 games due to a concussion) and had a grand total of 1 turnover (1 interception, 0 forced fumbles, fumble recoveries). Kuechly had 4 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery.... as an example.

Luke Kuechly
  • 24 years old
  • 591 tackles
  • 11 interceptions
Sean Lee
  • 29 years old
  • 422 tackles
  • 12 interceptions
  • 0 1st-team All-Pros

I love them both but Kuechly is just better. He can cover 30 yards downfield. Lee is usually in the right spot because of instincts, but Luke is a much better athlete. He is on the Urlacher level.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Luke Kuechly
  • 24 years old
  • 591 tackles
  • 11 interceptions
Sean Lee
  • 29 years old
  • 422 tackles
  • 12 interceptions
  • 0 1st-team All-Pros

Compare Apples to Apples. (ie, snap counts to stats comparison)

I found 2012-2015 snap counts for both players on Football Outsiders. Over just those four years, Kuechly had twice the snaps that Lee had. (1955 for Lee to 3938 for Kuechly) Lee is injury prone, but when he is on the field, he is more productive than Kuechly.

perrykemp

Reaction score
) Lee is injury prone, but when he is on the field, he is more productive than Kuechly.

He's not as productive as Kuechly in terms of tackles per game played.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
He's not as productive as Kuechly in terms of tackles per game played.

Tackles themselves are a selective stat that entirely depends on the players around you and the scheme within which you play. Talent definitely has something to do with it (like completion percentage to a QB), but that's true with all positions.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Sean Lee is one concussion away from never playing again.....that is the differnece. But that is a huge difference. To continue to build around a guy like that is just plain stupid.:rolleyes:

So is every other player in the nfl.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score

Luke Kuechly
  • 24 years old
  • 591 tackles
  • 11 interceptions
Sean Lee
  • 29 years old
  • 422 tackles
  • 12 interceptions
  • 0 1st-team All-Pros

I found 2012-2015 snap counts for both players on Football Outsiders. Over just those four years, Kuechly had twice the snaps that Lee had. (1955 for Lee to 3938 for Kuechly) Lee is injury prone, but when he is on the field, he is more productive than Kuechly.

Thank you for posting this. I was gonna say the exact same thing.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Depends on the metric you want to use.... tackles per snap (which I've never really heard of) or tackles per game. Kuechly has more tackles per game.

My guess the reason why is that 7-8 games over that time-span where Lee was knocked out of games and therefore didn't see many snaps.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Sean Lee is one concussion away from never playing again.....that is the differnece. But that is a huge difference. To continue to build around a guy like that is just plain stupid.:rolleyes:

Kuechly suffered a major concussion in week 1 causing him to miss 3 games. Concussions can stop any players career.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
No.

Tackles Per Season (career averages)
Kuechly averages 148 tackles per season
Lee averages 84 tackles per season

Tackles are not an official NFL statistic and cannot be compared for players on different teams because of differences in the ways that tackles are recorded.

Anyhow, just looking at Lee's numbers (not compared with Kuechly), Lee has averaged more than 10 tackles per game since his second season. Remember, as a rookie, he had just 45 tackles as a backup. Since then -- 486 tackles in 46 games (10.6 tackles per game).