when did you first know you were a cowboys fan?

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
when did you first realize you were a cowboys fan? my family are all diehards. i started paying attention to the games in '85 when i was 7. then as i grew up i got hooked during the 'boys playoff pursuit in '90 when we had a chance to get into the playoffs if we had beatin the eagles or falcons. then it just took off. and i was a diehard cowboys fan. me, my dad and my brother always watch the games toghether and we will till the day we die. i even got a tattoo of the helmet on my right shoulder that will be on me forever......what would suck is if for some unspeakable horror the 'boys relocate.....:eek:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Like royalty, I was born into it... it's my rite of passage...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I was about young'un when I saw Tony Dorsett run that 99 yard TD. I saw the helmet and the star and here I am.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I started paying attention to football in about the 1st grade, which also happened to be when Staubach was at the height of his career. I live in the Philly area and every Sunday the Eagles would be on at 1PM and the Cowboys at 4PM.

I know a lot of the younger fans became fans because they grew up during the mid-90's when Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin were winning championships, but those Cowboys teams of the mid-70's were sure fun to watch too.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Sometime before the Super Bowl loss to Baltimore. That was my earliest memory of a crushing defeat. I rooted for them against the Packers in earlier years, but can't say I was that passionate, yet. I was born the same year the Cowboys were.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
When I was 10 or 11 or so, I saw Chuck Howley on TV wearing a helmet with a star on it.

I had seen him play for the West Virginia Mountaineers, and after the game walking out of the lockerroom at old Mountaineer Field when I was like 5 or 6.

Dad said, " do you remember him?"

Back then you didn't see people on TV that you had seen in person. Not in WV.

So that was a big deal to me.

I've been wearing the Star ever since, and that's why I go by WV Cowboy ... Chuck Howley, the original WV Cowboy.

sporadic

Reaction score
My dad is a retired football coach, so the game has always been a HUGE part of my family. He is and has always been a diehard Cowboy's fan. So, I guess you could say I have been a 'Boys fan since I was born...I can't imagine how painful it must be to root for any team not wearing the star.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
when dallas beat denver in the superbowl back in the 70's.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
When I saw my first game and thought the shift thing the oline did was really cool.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Born into it. My family lived in Irving years before I was born. My older brothers got hooked, then passed the team on to me when we moved back to Jersey.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
When my uncle's house grew quiet, deathly quiet, and I turned around to stare at the old black and white tv set in the corner. I saw #74 and #75 in the coolest uniforms I'd ever seen, pawing at the ground with their feet, scratching through the ice to prepare a foothold right before seeing Bart Starr and those hideous Green Bay uniforms about to run the final QB sneak in the Ice Bowl. All that frosty breath and the occasional beard full of ice, the blood on the uniforms...it was amazing.

Dallas Uni's look good in black and white. If you've never seen those GB uni's with their goofy "G" in black and white, with no Green and Gold, you have no idea how uninspiring they were.

I've loved the Cowboys ever since.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I started paying attention to football in about the 1st grade, which also happened to be when Staubach was at the height of his career. I live in the Philly area and every Sunday the Eagles would be on at 1PM and the Cowboys at 4PM.

:signmast:

What he said ... exactly ... even down to the geographic details.

Kinda' spooky, actually.

:eek:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Sunce Jan. 18, 1976 when Dallas played the steelers in the SB. I lived in Ft. Worth Tx at the time. and was 5 yrs old.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
As a fairly young boy the first game I ever watched was "The catch". I couldn't stand the pansies in gold, so I rooted for the "Star guys"....that's what I called them.

I tasted my first disapointment as a sports fan that day. I have to tell you it's those moments that make all the Superbowls that much sweeter. I have never faltered in my LOVE for this team. Hell.....I used to watch the start of the TV show Dallas...just becuase they showed a 2 second clip of Texas stadium.

I am hoping to travel to a home game next year. All depends how much my year end bonus is from the bank I work at.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
I used to watch the start of the TV show Dallas...just becuase they showed a 2 second clip of Texas stadium.
ha thats funny me too!!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
When I saw my first game and thought the shift thing the oline did was really cool.
Actually, the line would stand straight up, (after being down with elbows on their knees), and while they were standing up, the backs would shift, so when the lineman went back down, the backs had shifted and the formation had changed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember. I recall a somewhat blured sensation and then a jolting sense of pain corse through my body. A rush of air filled my lungs, as I recall, and there was a great deal of light together with a terrific amount of noise. After a moment, I realized that it was me making all the noise and it was my backside that the painful sensations were emanating from. I looked up at a gentle face smiling down upon me and in an instant, two things were indelibly imprinted on my mind. The first was the fact that the smiling face looking down on me was my mother. The second was the fact that I liked the Dallas Cowboys, in that order, no less. How many minutes old was I when this occured? I honestly couldn't say. I was pretty young at the time.

;)