when did you first know you were a cowboys fan?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Sixth and final preseason game of 1975, I was a little kid in the stands.

Staubach to Drew at the back of the end zone (where I was sitting) to beat the Steelers in the last minutes.

Sewed it up for good.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The SB against the Colts. I remember watching that deflected pass and thinking- no way this goes- and then it did. I was not much of a Pro Fan (Dad had already made me a ND fan) but from that point on as I watched Doomsday I was a Boys fan. I was 12.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
In 1971, My Brother who lives in FT Worth took me on a tour of Texas Stadium. Just think what impression that made on a 5 year old never out of PA before seeing that Star in the middle of the Field and pretending to kick Field goals!. It's all his fault for this lifetime obsession, not to mention all the Money I've spent on Cowboy Merchandise and Game Tickets!.

Yeah, but at least you live in Amish Country- I'm jealous, I love it there- was up there two weeks ago when we beat the Eagles- loved listening to WIP and the meltdown.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I realized I was a Cowboys fan when I learned that Dallas was getting a new franchise after the Chiefs (Texans) were moved to Kansas City. I was 15 at the time the new franchise was formed and there was never any question that I was going to be a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Edit: Sorry CBZ. I answered before I read the replies. Looks like you beat me to it. I guess us old guys think alike.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
I realized I was a Cowboys fan when I learned that Dallas was getting a new franchise after the Chiefs (Texans) were moved to Kansas City. I was 15 at the time the new franchise was formed and there was never any question that I was going to be a Dallas Cowboys fan.

The Cowboys and Texans began the same year - 1960. They shared the Cotton Bowl for three seasons until the AFL Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. So were you a Texans fan that became a Cowboys fan?

BybeeBlitz

Reaction score
Been a Cowboy fan since I was 7 in 1991. And yes, I remember the Lions playoff game where Aikman was hurt and Beurlein was in. Since then I've missed a total of 2 Cowboys game (both funerals in the family). I've got to be the biggest 21 year-old Boys' fan out there and I'm proud of it!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
The Cowboys and Texans began the same year - 1960. They shared the Cotton Bowl for three seasons until the AFL Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. So were you a Texans fan that became a Cowboys fan?

I don't remember ever being a Texans fan. That's another problem with getting old, your memory leaves a lot to be desired.

Smurfinaus

Reaction score
Was over visiting my aunt with my family and saw a glimpse of Cowboys vs 49ers ....i think it was that game in 1981.......thats when i was hooked:) :starspin

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
1978 A.D. - Super Bowl 12... Dallas vs. Denver...

I was 9 and have bled blue and silver for some reason ever since.

Go Figure??!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I like to consider myself a rare breed. Grew up in South Philly walking distance from the vet. First football game I ever watched was Superbowl XII. Age 8 at my uncle's house for what I guess was a superbowl party. Don't know how popular the concept was in 1977. Anyway, most in attendence were of course bitter Eagle fans rooting against Dallas.
My father was more of the hunting/fishing type and not big on spectator sports (except for the Flyers). He certainly wasn't an Eagle fan. He told me that they were all wasting thier time because Dallas and Staubach weren't losing this one. So of course since I idolized my dad I spent that day rooting for that Staubach guy and the cool looking team with the Star on its helmet that HE said was going to win.
A few years later I lost my dad to an accident, but the seed he planted that day stuck. Have not missed a single game since 1989 and every friend and family member in Philly and South Jersey consider me the biggest Cowboy fan they know.

rickwil61

Reaction score
I actually used to hate the Cowboys (really it was the fans more than the team). The reason was because of the percieved arrogance and that in the 70's the "Dallas" TV show was a big hit at a time the team was doing well. The bandwagon thing bugged me. In '85 I moved to Dallas and used to enjoy antagonizing the fans because the 'boys started declining during that time. Then I remember being at a party one time and there happened to be a Dire Straits video on the tube (Walk of Life) and there was a scene that showed Drew Pearson going for a touchdown catch. I'm not sure what it was, maybe it was the star on the helmet, but I thought it was really cool. Shortly after that I became a closet fan. In the next year or two the 'boys continued to decline. One of the things I remember thinking was that it looked to me like the team was resting on it's laurels and not moving forward. I just thought the organization had gotten set in it's ways and needed some new blood. I didn't ever see it happening because of the respect that Landry and Schramm held. Then Jerry bought the team and cleaned house from top to bottom. I still think he got screwed over by Bright with the Landry situation. Anyhow the 1-15 season came about and everybody was down on the Cowboys. Being the contrarian that I am, I started pulling for them. A couple of seasons later they make the Superbowl. Been a fan ever since.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Joe Montana Football on Sega Genesis. Just randomly used the Cowboys. Was about 5 or 6. Things havent really changed. Oh and the family in Fort Worth, but I like to think I brought myself into this madness

Novacek84

Reaction score
1977. Giants vs. Cowboys. I was 7 and I used to watch football every Sunday at my Grandfather's house (who was a Giants fan) and during this particular game I remember looking at the TV and saying "I like those guys with the star helmets" and I've been a fan ever since. Super Bowl XII was the first SB I recall but I didn't jump on the bandwagon because of the SB. I know the game I pledged my allegiance in was before that game because I remember wanting to watch the SB that year. For some reason I can vividly remember saying those exact words to confirm my allegiance and I have been a diehard ever since. I shudder to think how close I was to becoming a Giants fan because that's who they played that day. I always think, "what if I chose the Giants that day?' And then I am reminded of how good I feel about the choice I made.

ghst187

Reaction score
the year of the infamous Dwight clark catch...
I wasn't very old, 8 or 9 maybe, and my two favorite teams were Dallas (regional team) and (dare I say it) the 69ers. I wanted the Boys to win that game and when they didn't, I pouted and didn't talk to anyone for 2 or 3 days.
Ever since, I've hated the 69ers and realized what every true American does at some point: that Dallas is America's and my Team.

Trip

Reaction score
I was always a Cowboys fan, in my house that's just the way it was.

But I became a "real" fan before SB XIII. That's when I remember becoming old enough to understand how many yards rushing Tony Dorsett had, etc. and actually sit down and watch a game from start to finish, hanging on every drive.

DeathToTheSkinS

Reaction score
My father is a big cowboy fan and i can remeber when we beat the steelers in the super bowl back in 96' and my father just goin crazy with his aikman jersey and me with mine from that past christmas. So from then (6 yrs old) i new i liked the cowboys but i truly found out i was a cowboy fan when i first felt the pain and actual anger of loseing to the Commanders on that thanksgiving day afew years back. 16 now and hate every team except the Cowboys, ive been harassed for being a cowboy fan and living in central maryland my entire life...I wouldnt have it ne other way.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I was walking past the TV at my aunt's house in Brooklyn...I heard the announcer say something about the Dallas Cowboys and the world's fastest human being, Bob Hayes....I was 10 at the time...at that age, ya tend to be fascinated by the "fastest"..or the "strongest" etc.

I looked at the TV and saw the uniforms..and the star...and it was instant love.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
77 Super Bow vs. the Broncos- I was 5 yrs old... my folks took me to a SB party where everyone there was a Denver fan but me....... it sure was fun gloating afterwards!