When has giving a player a huge contract ever worked out for us

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Seriously question...

For the Dallas Cowboys when has giving a huge new contract ever worked out for us?

Beyond Deion Sanders 25 years ago I can’t really think of many...

If by work out, you mean Super Bowl, that's a tough standard to hold contracts to. Others have listed multiple players who played at a high level after receiving their contracts. That's all you can expect. The contracts that work out in on-field success have to be coupled with good drafting, good coaching and good free agent acquisition.

Sanders helped get us back to the Super Bowl, but he was only a piece of what was needed for success, which is easy to see since he was still on the team when the pieces started to fall apart.

csirl

Reaction score
You cant really use examples from the pre-salary cap era as the only thing impacted was the owners pockets. Over paying nowdays prevents us from retaining our own players and signing new free agents.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You cant really use examples from the pre-salary cap era as the only thing impacted was the owners pockets. Over paying nowdays prevents us from retaining our own players and signing new free agents.
Exactly. It is sad when they have to go back 25 years to find big contracts that worked out for us........and even then that was in the pre-salary cap era for the most part.

I am amazed at the lengths people will go to defend Jerry and/or overpaying players.

dckid

Reaction score
I guess you and I have differing opinions on what living up to a contract means. In my view, Romo's play certainly lived up to the contract he received. There are so many things that can go wrong in a one and done play off game. In 2007 if Patrick Crayton catches that ball we likely win. In 2014, you had the Dez no catch and the Murray fumble. If both those go our way good chance we win that game too. Can't put those losses on Romo. 2009, we got wrecked by Minnesota. Romo was sacked 6x, fumbled twice and threw a pick. If your QB is getting sacked 6x, you OL isn't doing their job. But he did have 3 turnovers, so he shares some blame.
I am not going to micro analyze all of Romo’s playoff and big game losses. I think the proof is in the end result. Romo, Dak same result. Neither one will carry you when it matters.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I think Romo and Ware both lived up to their deals. La'roi Glover worked out well for us. Tyron Smith, Zack Martin.
This.

Glover was actually the guy I was gonna reference in terms of big money as a FA since we got him from the Jets right?

really helped that transition to a 3-4

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the dak fans," who cares he played for cheap, now he deserves everyone's money. Who cares if he doesn't have a team around him. I just want him to get paid" LMAO. yep sounds like something a fan would say, not a romo hater.