When is it Ok to pull against your team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not against your team.

Pulling for them to lose so they can get better shows brains and foresight.
Yea I get it. Not that it will make any difference cause I think we will lose the rest of them anyway but I’ll still get a chuckle if we win one. Especially if it’s in a spoiler role.

Theres nothing more painful than half a season of meaningless games . Losing breeds losing. It’s not something I can really root for. But I certainly can accept it and realize whatever benefits it brings.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Have you ever considered that the pain it causes some people (to the point of having to take a break) is indicative of the love they have for the team?

That's different than what he asked. What you're saying is if someone stops watching for a while and what he asked was is it OK to pull AGAINST your team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s easy rooting for a winner. Rooting for losers builds character.

It’s not really going to matter with Dinucci as our QB. Lol

It’s like Moorhead St playing Michigan.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's different than what he asked. What you're saying is if someone stops watching for a while and what he asked was is it OK to pull AGAINST your team.
Valid point, admittedly, but I liken that reaction to that of a scorned lover. Only someone you truly love can frustrate you so much.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
And still consider yourself a fan?

I have pulled against them for a better draft position but now is different.

I love steak but this is a bad piece of meat so it's OK for me not to like it. I don't like this team.

I know that's a signal for some of you to tell me to hit the road and that I am not a fan but I can return to being a fan when they have a more likable team.

They're quitters, they're going through the motions but they've quit inside and odds are they don't like this team anymore than I do. They lack direction, leadership and like that team that Wade was fired from, they run from a fight. They talk the talk.

I dunno, what do they need a Morale Officer? No coach or player can seem to get them fired up, they can have a team come into their stadium and embarrass them and turn around an go into the lair of one of our most storied rivalries and not even pay dues to that. They just don't care.

The first time I had this feeling that there was a new kind of football player was that last game to close Texas Stadium with 100 former Cowboys invited to the game to close the House That Landry Built and most of those players helped him build it. The players interviewed after that game were livid at the lack of heart displayed on that field that night. They just didn't care. About the history or even being a Cowboy.

I do not think this is exclusive to the Cowboys because I've seen this disinterest in the game unless they're in it. Saw it last night with Aaron Donald on the sideline just chatting away and laughing on the bench while the game was being played. Back in the day, if the other player considered to be the best D guy in the game was on the field, Donald's eyes would have been off Mack on every play.

I do think the Cowboys have too many of those players and too many one year mercs just passing through for them to get fired up about being a Cowboy. It's just a job.

And there it is, how many of these players are proud to be a Cowboy? Is is just a team they're on until they get to their next one? Does that old saying "it's ok, I was looking for a job when I found this one" apply here?

This is why Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of my favorite players and the man has been on more teams than any other QB but when he gives you his sword, it's yours until you send him on his way. In that sense, he's a throwback. His team is the one he is on.

Hell, some of these players didn't get fired up to play the Skins and won't this week to play the Eagles because they might be playing there next season.

Maybe it's me and I am expecting too much in today's NFL but I really do not like this team and have a hard time pulling for them, even against the Skins this last Sunday and I really don't know how I am going to feel when they go to PHL this Sunday. I hate the Eagles but they've got heart and my team doesn't. And I hate that. They're not losers because they lose but when they lose heart, they lose me.
I cant do it for a season however if it came down to one final game at the end of the regular season that would mean getting the first pick vs say the 3rd or 4th, I would do it. I did in 89 (I think it was 89). Granted I didnt shout or pump my fist when the other team scored but I wanted them to "lose for Aikman" Worked out

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We know we don’t have a chance in hell but wouldn’t it be Hilarious if we beat the Egirls. That would be like the most embarrassing loss ever for them.

I know I know but that’s how we can still root for our team knowing it’s not going to matter.

Then if we are getting blown out 44-0 we can start chanting for the #1 pick. Ha

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I cant do it for a season however if it came down to one final game at the end of the regular season that would mean getting the first pick vs say the 3rd or 4th, I would do it. I did in 89 (I think it was 89). Granted I didnt shout or pump my fist when the other team scored but I wanted them to "lose for Aikman" Worked out
I understand what fans are wanting to do. They see we aren’t winning anymore games and want to emotionally detach themselves to ease the pain.

Basic human nature. It’s what I did over a decade ago. If you’re not as emotionally invested it lessens the pain.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's not against your team.

Pulling for them to lose so they can get better shows brains and foresight.

Here's the problem with that thinking. For a decade the browns had top 5 picks and it didn't turn them into a Super Bowl team. Those that say lose to get higher draft picks think there's some guarantee of automatic success by getting those picks. One would think it does but there is no such guarantee. Here's another thought on this. Name all the teams that earned a top 5 pick because of their record, not getting it as part of a trade, where a year or even two later they went to the Super Bowl? The Cowboys once took 4 years to do it but then it was also before the cap which made it easier because they didn't have to worry about losing any players they got because Jones would pay them more to keep them.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
And still consider yourself a fan?

I have pulled against them for a better draft position but now is different.

I love steak but this is a bad piece of meat so it's OK for me not to like it. I don't like this team.

I know that's a signal for some of you to tell me to hit the road and that I am not a fan but I can return to being a fan when they have a more likable team.

They're quitters, they're going through the motions but they've quit inside and odds are they don't like this team anymore than I do. They lack direction, leadership and like that team that Wade was fired from, they run from a fight. They talk the talk.

I dunno, what do they need a Morale Officer? No coach or player can seem to get them fired up, they can have a team come into their stadium and embarrass them and turn around an go into the lair of one of our most storied rivalries and not even pay dues to that. They just don't care.

The first time I had this feeling that there was a new kind of football player was that last game to close Texas Stadium with 100 former Cowboys invited to the game to close the House That Landry Built and most of those players helped him build it. The players interviewed after that game were livid at the lack of heart displayed on that field that night. They just didn't care. About the history or even being a Cowboy.

I do not think this is exclusive to the Cowboys because I've seen this disinterest in the game unless they're in it. Saw it last night with Aaron Donald on the sideline just chatting away and laughing on the bench while the game was being played. Back in the day, if the other player considered to be the best D guy in the game was on the field, Donald's eyes would have been off Mack on every play.

I do think the Cowboys have too many of those players and too many one year mercs just passing through for them to get fired up about being a Cowboy. It's just a job.

And there it is, how many of these players are proud to be a Cowboy? Is is just a team they're on until they get to their next one? Does that old saying "it's ok, I was looking for a job when I found this one" apply here?

This is why Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of my favorite players and the man has been on more teams than any other QB but when he gives you his sword, it's yours until you send him on his way. In that sense, he's a throwback. His team is the one he is on.

Hell, some of these players didn't get fired up to play the Skins and won't this week to play the Eagles because they might be playing there next season.

Maybe it's me and I am expecting too much in today's NFL but I really do not like this team and have a hard time pulling for them, even against the Skins this last Sunday and I really don't know how I am going to feel when they go to PHL this Sunday. I hate the Eagles but they've got heart and my team doesn't. And I hate that. They're not losers because they lose but when they lose heart, they lose me.

never

adamknite

Reaction score
I have never and will never actively root for the Cowboys to lose even if it's in our best interest in the long run.

I understand the arguments. I just can't do it.

Jipper

Reaction score
By pulling for the cowboys to lose now, you are actually pulling for them to win in the long run...they have no chance this year and are historically bad on defense....better draft position is a much bigger win than a game or two here or there this season....

I have never given up on a team and wished for them to lose, except maybe the last few games of a season if eliminated but this one is different....this team has quit and doesn’t care.

so the more of them that are gone and replaced the sooner the better.....and you need premium draft picks to do that

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I’m entirely uninterested in winning another game this season. Maxing out with a 6-win season does nothing to help the long-term status of this franchise.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
When is it ok? Probably if it means the head coach is getting fired.

Take last year for example, Reality put a poll up of who wanted the Cowboys to beat the Eagles the last game of the season. If you remember, the Eagles were basically down to practice squad players and it was a winner take all game and loser goes home. Anyways, the vast majority of this board voted in the poll that they wanted to the Cowboys to lose if it meant Garrett getting fired.

So when given two scenarios, beat the Eagles to win the division and Garrett gets a new contract or lose to the Eagles and Garrett gets fired, the majority of this board voted losing was better and preferred that over Garrett getting a new contract.

Motorola

Reaction score
1) When you don't like the QB \ star player(s) \ HC \ GM \Owner (for whatever reason(s))
2) When your team trades \ cuts your favorite player
3) When your team trades for \signs a player you don't like or you hate (for whatever reason(s))
4)When your team is having a really bad season - and you want them to get the No. 1 - top 5 - top 10 draft pick
5) When you have a big wager on your team's game opponent to beat the spread or the over\under
6) When your fantasy football team \ unit \ player is in a game versus your team

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
I have never and will never actively root for the Cowboys to lose even if it's in our best interest in the long run.

I understand the arguments. I just can't do it.

I truly feel the same way.