When is it Ok to pull against your team?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It is okay to walk away and find another team to follow this year. Root for them.
It is never okay to root against the Dallas Cowboys unless you no longer consider yourself fan of the team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only teams that can Even attempt overcoming their starting QB out for the season are teams with a top defense.

Our offense and QB were all that was keeping this team relevant . Take that out and we are reduced to worst team in the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
And still consider yourself a fan?

Simply put, never. This is the reason I am not dropping 1000 bucks on the Eagles -7 1/2. That amount of money would require me to hope the Cowboys suck and lose. I can't do that. I will never put myself in a position to do that. I just can't, because now I am no longer a fan.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I can't can't pull for COWARDS. Sorry, can't do it, won't do it. I was raised to get down and dirty if someone is being picked on, bullied or taking a cheap shots on a football. My daddy always said, "GET UP, GET IT ON OR GET ON OUT"! Now those are words to live by if you expect to earn respect from me!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not gonna tell anyone how to be a fan. First of all, there are different reasons for each person's fandom, and nobody else can completely understand how another fan feels. Second, as we've seen here, people root for different aspects of the team: Some root for the uniform, some for the city, some for the players, and some even for the past incarnations of the team, which is where I think many are at right now. Third, if not rooting for the team makes your life less stressful, by all means, do what you need to do and come back when your heart is back in it. That doesn't make you any less of a fan. In fact, it shows just how important the team is to you.

But if you've decided to root for some other team (Not you CC, I know that's not what this is.)............Bye Bye. Don't bother coming back when they've turned things around (assuming you haven't died of old age) or when your new team disappoints you. I'm not saying you're not a fan - just not the type of fan I wanna talk to.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I know this is crazy, and I don’t really believe it, but whether we like it or not, this team loved them some Dak and would run through a wall for him. After his injury, knowing that he had given everything he had to the team (again, you don’t have to think he was good enough), the thought did cross my mind how many players would be angry at Jerry and take the antagonistic view, “why should I put my body on the line after Jerry didn’t pay Dak? Look what happened to him. They don’t care about us.”

I’m sure that’s not true. I’m just saying the thought crossed my mind for some of the guys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Simply put, never. This is the reason I am not dropping 1000 bucks on the Eagles -7 1/2. That amount of money would require me to hope the Cowboys suck and lose. I can't do that. I will never put myself in a position to do that. I just can't, because now I am no longer a fan.
Not at all. I made a fortune betting against the Cowboys in 1989.

You can still root for Cowboys to win while betting against them because we have no control. I promise you there’s no better feeling after a loss than cashing in a winning ticket.

Vegas Sports books were built on fans wagering their hearts and not their minds.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All you proved is that you're a fair weather fan and the only thing worse than a fair weather fan is not being a fan. As you said you could again be a fan when they start winning. I've been a fan since the very first day the Cowboys came into the league and with only getting a single tie in the first season would be enough for some to find another team, but I've stuck with them every year and EVERY game I hoped they win.. You sound like the guy who says he really loves his wife more than anything in the world and when they get into financial problems tries to convince his wife to have sex with a really rich guy who will give them the money to get out of that financial problems.
Have you ever considered that the pain it causes some people (to the point of having to take a break) is indicative of the love they have for the team?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wow. Some of you guys truly are hardcore fans!!!

I had a DC cheerleaders calendar I pulled for back in the day, but never the team itself.
Do we wanna know exactly what you mean by "pulled for"?:muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I have pulled against them for a better draft position but now is different.

I love steak but this is a bad piece of meat so it's OK for me not to like it. I don't like this team.

I know that's a signal for some of you to tell me to hit the road and that I am not a fan but I can return to being a fan when they have a more likable team.

They're quitters, they're going through the motions but they've quit inside and odds are they don't like this team anymore than I do. They lack direction, leadership and like that team that Wade was fired from, they run from a fight. They talk the talk.

I dunno, what do they need a Morale Officer? No coach or player can seem to get them fired up, they can have a team come into their stadium and embarrass them and turn around an go into the lair of one of our most storied rivalries and not even pay dues to that. They just don't care.

The first time I had this feeling that there was a new kind of football player was that last game to close Texas Stadium with 100 former Cowboys invited to the game to close the House That Landry Built and most of those players helped him build it. The players interviewed after that game were livid at the lack of heart displayed on that field that night. They just didn't care. About the history or even being a Cowboy.

I do not think this is exclusive to the Cowboys because I've seen this disinterest in the game unless they're in it. Saw it last night with Aaron Donald on the sideline just chatting away and laughing on the bench while the game was being played. Back in the day, if the other player considered to be the best D guy in the game was on the field, Donald's eyes would have been off Mack on every play.

I do think the Cowboys have too many of those players and too many one year mercs just passing through for them to get fired up about being a Cowboy. It's just a job.

And there it is, how many of these players are proud to be a Cowboy? Is is just a team they're on until they get to their next one? Does that old saying "it's ok, I was looking for a job when I found this one" apply here?

This is why Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of my favorite players and the man has been on more teams than any other QB but when he gives you his sword, it's yours until you send him on his way. In that sense, he's a throwback. His team is the one he is on.

Hell, some of these players didn't get fired up to play the Skins and won't this week to play the Eagles because they might be playing there next season.

Maybe it's me and I am expecting too much in today's NFL but I really do not like this team and have a hard time pulling for them, even against the Skins this last Sunday and I really don't know how I am going to feel when they go to PHL this Sunday. I hate the Eagles but they've got heart and my team doesn't. And I hate that. They're not losers because they lose but when they lose heart, they lose me.
Never.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
After decades of mediocrity now is a good time . Jerry needs back to back to back 0-16 seasons so he can step down and Cowboys can start on the road to being competitive again . Nothing short of 0-48 over 3 years can get us out of this never ending nightmare .

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When you're a Dallas fan and you know its for their own good!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fans are so fickle. We suk and some fans can’t handle it. We are a shell of our team due to injuries.

Man up. The season is a wrap.
never

never

NEVER.... ARE WE CLEAR?:facepalm:
rooting against your team is like wishing cancer on family member.. ridiculous notion. If you hate them that bad move on..seriously if you have to ask or support rooting against your team you are not fan..you are done quit washed out bye bye snitches'!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I love steak but this is a bad piece of meat so it's OK for me not to like it. I don't like this team.

I know that's a signal for some of you to tell me to hit the road and that I am not a fan but I can return to being a fan when they have a more likable team.

They're quitters, they're going through the motions but they've quit inside and odds are they don't like this team anymore than I do. They lack direction, leadership and like that team that Wade was fired from, they run from a fight. They talk the talk.

I dunno, what do they need a Morale Officer? No coach or player can seem to get them fired up, they can have a team come into their stadium and embarrass them and turn around an go into the lair of one of our most storied rivalries and not even pay dues to that. They just don't care.

The first time I had this feeling that there was a new kind of football player was that last game to close Texas Stadium with 100 former Cowboys invited to the game to close the House That Landry Built and most of those players helped him build it. The players interviewed after that game were livid at the lack of heart displayed on that field that night. They just didn't care. About the history or even being a Cowboy.

I do not think this is exclusive to the Cowboys because I've seen this disinterest in the game unless they're in it. Saw it last night with Aaron Donald on the sideline just chatting away and laughing on the bench while the game was being played. Back in the day, if the other player considered to be the best D guy in the game was on the field, Donald's eyes would have been off Mack on every play.

I do think the Cowboys have too many of those players and too many one year mercs just passing through for them to get fired up about being a Cowboy. It's just a job.

And there it is, how many of these players are proud to be a Cowboy? Is is just a team they're on until they get to their next one? Does that old saying "it's ok, I was looking for a job when I found this one" apply here?

This is why Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of my favorite players and the man has been on more teams than any other QB but when he gives you his sword, it's yours until you send him on his way. In that sense, he's a throwback. His team is the one he is on.

Hell, some of these players didn't get fired up to play the Skins and won't this week to play the Eagles because they might be playing there next season.

Maybe it's me and I am expecting too much in today's NFL but I really do not like this team and have a hard time pulling for them, even against the Skins this last Sunday and I really don't know how I am going to feel when they go to PHL this Sunday. I hate the Eagles but they've got heart and my team doesn't. And I hate that. They're not losers because they lose but when they lose heart, they lose me.

Anytime you suck, you should be rooting for your team to lose. If your a REAL fan and not just a cheerleader.

An exception would be if you have a very young team on the way up learning to win and gain confidence.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not at all. I made a fortune betting against the Cowboys in 1989.

You can still root for Cowboys to win while betting against them because we have no control. I promise you there’s no better feeling after a loss than cashing in a winning ticket.

Vegas Sports books were built on fans wagering their hearts and not their minds.

I do bet against the Cowboys on occasion with minor bets. But I still hope the Cowboys win. But there is a dollar limit I am willing to lose. I'm not betting 500 or 1000 dollars and still hoping I lose. When I bet big I hope to win. So I can't bet that much against the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
never

never

NEVER.... ARE WE CLEAR?:facepalm:
rooting against your team is like wishing cancer on family member.. ridiculous notion. If you hate them that bad move on..seriously if you have to ask or support rooting against your team you are not fan..you are done quit washed out bye bye snitches'!!
I’m not sure what you’re responding to? Nowhere did I say root against us.

Them

Reaction score
...?...I don't like the idea of "pulling against you're team." I don't want them to tank! Thru many decades I've never considered it, and I still don't!. But in saying that I know when my team is good or bad. I've known elation and disappointment, and I'm fairly sure you know how I feel about this season. Other people can follow the present winners to their hearts content...And even though I do keep up with the rest of the NFL Leagues daily, I'll stay a Cowboys fan...I do believe that one day it will all get turned around. But it doesn't make me naive or a "homer" because I make up my own mind about what I see and hear from this team; I'm not a rank-n-file fan...HC McCarthy has said many times lately that this is a "transition year, " and so has JJ. So it will take time, along with a good draft & Free Agency period, better personnel decisions in the FO, and getting the heck out of the year 2020...IMO:star:

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do bet against the Cowboys on occasion with minor bets. But I still hope the Cowboys win. But there is a dollar limit I am willing to lose. I'm not betting 500 or 1000 dollars and still hoping I lose. When I bet big I hope to win. So I can't bet that much against the Cowboys.
The point is we are going to lose anyway. Once you accept that then you might as well make some money on it.

If it makes you feel better don’t wager as much.

kskboys

Reaction score

It's not against your team.

Pulling for them to lose so they can get better shows brains and foresight.

kskboys

Reaction score
When the players quit, I think fans have the option to quit too. Why support someone who’s not going to put in the effort/care to play? I just don’t understand it.
I will never quit. Rooting for them to lose so they can improve w/ top draft picks is not quitting.