When is it okay for a player to openly be critical of how a team is run?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
ModEdit: https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-bra...e-right-coaches-in-the-right-position-in-2023

I saw Brandon Graham in an interview talk about last years Eagle defense and literally say that "we didn't have all the right coaches in the right position...you just noticed little stuff that the players weren't on the same page with the coaches..."

Now I know if a Cowboy player said this, the board would explode. Or would it? How much good will with an organization does a player have to have to be able to openly be critical of the team? Brandon Graham has been with the Eagles for his entire career (15 years) and will retire an Eagle as the all-time leader in games played. He is highly respected around the league. He has certainly built up enough what I call "NFL capital" to speak his mind. Hurts recently was roasted in the Philly Media for not voicing enough support for Siranni. No one said a word about Graham.

So I ask, what Cowboy on the current roster can say what Graham said and get away with it in both the Media and message boards?
This is a good question, there may be something in each players contract which prohibits speaking to media about team issues,
or mgmt.
The egos of mgmt ( jones boys lol) and other teams, gm's Hc's , other coaches, that they want players to just keep their mouth shut
and do as they are told.
I dont think in any situation they would not be bothered or offended by any negative comment by a player.

Even in house, they dont want to hear it, just do as your told.

What this eagle player said is probably accurate, and maybe he got no response in house, so said something public.
But siranni selects the staff there, and what position they coach, so it is negative on him, and I doubt he likes that.
Siranni is arrogant know it all, like many coaches, so hard to get them to change their coaching styles etc.

I know they should have won the div and been a better team, but the drop off seems to all point back at siranni.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Zach Martin
Exactly what I was going to say. Perennial AP has had a long career, well respected around the league and by his peers, low drama and just goes about his job at a high level. When someone like that speaks up, it usually has some merit.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to say. Perennial AP has had a long career, well respected around the league and by his peers, low drama and just goes about his job at a high level. When someone like that speaks up, it usually has some merit.
Also helps when you are at the end of your career and you have nothing really to lose.

plymkr

Reaction score
Was Travis Kelsey out of line in the Super Bowl confronting Andy Reed? Dont distract the convo with "yeah, he shoved him"...WE KNOW THAT WAS WRONG...im asking if Kelsey confronting Reed is out of line in a Super Bowl?

What about the WR who started complaining in the Super Bowl that Mahomes was forcing stuff to Kelsey and jeopardizing the game?
Are you talking about Travis Swift?

RoboQB

Reaction score
Hey, just don't criticize the QB, or he'll run to daddy and have you traded to Cleveland.
Ironically, the answer to the OP, what player can get away with it in Dallas, is the QB.

Hadenough

Reaction score
ModEdit: https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-bra...e-right-coaches-in-the-right-position-in-2023

I saw Brandon Graham in an interview talk about last years Eagle defense and literally say that "we didn't have all the right coaches in the right position...you just noticed little stuff that the players weren't on the same page with the coaches..."

Now I know if a Cowboy player said this, the board would explode. Or would it? How much good will with an organization does a player have to have to be able to openly be critical of the team? Brandon Graham has been with the Eagles for his entire career (15 years) and will retire an Eagle as the all-time leader in games played. He is highly respected around the league. He has certainly built up enough what I call "NFL capital" to speak his mind. Hurts recently was roasted in the Philly Media for not voicing enough support for Siranni. No one said a word about Graham.

So I ask, what Cowboy on the current roster can say what Graham said and get away with it in both the Media and message boards?
The Owner/ GM won't bring in any players or coaches he can't control. So they won't have this problem. Parsons is the only one and he will be traded.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes they should. Just as ownership should be able to publicly call out individual players for decisions that they make or declining play.
If you want to go on a long losing streak and lose the division after practically having it wrapped up, sure.

Players saying they don't believe in the system/scheme/coaches tears the team apart. Ask if you should before you ask if you can.

kskboys

Reaction score
The dynamics of hierarchy is what makes a fighting force effective. When you have players telling coaches they’re not doing things right, the ship is sunk.
Well said. The player is completely out of line. Narcissistic behavior. You have a problem w/ the coaches, you talk to the HC, and if this player considers the HC part of the problem, talk to the GM, to your QB, there is always someone to talk to to convey your issues. Going public guarantees that your team will fail.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The players make more than the coaches. This means they are in charge. This is what management needs to consider when handing out your biggest contracts. Zeke, Dez, J Smooth, D Flaw, Diggs, etc. These are the people who have been in charge of the team. We simply have to do better than that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Never.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

When they're on Buffalo and they talk about the cowboys and their locker rooms

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We're too nice, we offer up a lot of praise to bad players. We could lose 54-0 and someone would say we SAW SOME GOOD THINGS out there, I'm not firing anyone at this time Mike is our coach let me my clear, etc etc lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Owner/ GM won't bring in any players or coaches he can't control. So they won't have this problem. Parsons is the only one and he will be traded.
I must admit being extremely curious about Micah Parsons long-term future with the franchise. He disappears at times but is a genuine generational talent at his position. Personally, I think he has a supermax motor that I believe keeps him revved up only as long as the entire defense is clicking on most or all cylinders. Otherwise, his passion drains away and he mentally checks out.

There are pluses and minuses for keeping Parsons as a Cowboy. For me, the pluses outweigh the negatives. It would be a total surprise for me if Jerry Jones disliked losing a player of his caliber. That said, I agree Jones' narcissism can only take so much before it spills over and contaminates his judgment as the team's general manager. In his mind, there can only be one face of the Dallas Cowboys. He will not allow it to be disrespected by no one. Just ask Jimmy Johnson.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I must admit being extremely curious about Micah Parsons long-term future with the franchise. He disappears at times but is a genuine generational talent at his position. Personally, I think he has a supermax motor that I believe keeps him revved up only as long as the entire defense is clicking on most or all cylinders. Otherwise, his passion drains away and he mentally checks out.

There are pluses and minuses for keeping Parsons as a Cowboy. For me, the pluses outweigh the negatives. It would be a total surprise for me if Jerry Jones disliked losing a player of his caliber. That said, I agree Jones' narcissism can only take so much before it spills over and contaminates his judgment as the team's general manager. In his mind, there can only be one face of the Dallas Cowboys. He will not allow it to be disrespected by no one. Just ask Jimmy Johnson.
Yep! Back in the day Jimmy could control those Charles Haley and Dion Sanders personalities because they wanted to win for him. Now Jerry thinks he knows so much about football that he doesn't need an Alpha head coach to run things and doesn't want these players he can't control.
This team will never win another championship. Parsons talent will go to waste. They will ruin him trying to get him sack records and letting him dictate when he is in and out of the game. They ruined Zeke.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think Philly is at least nearly as dysfunctional as Dallas, just in a different way.

That, plus the fact that the other two teams in the division haven’t been able to get their hands on a QB is a big part of those glorious twelve win Dallas seasons, and makes the people in charge think this team is better than it is.

They needed free agent help over the last few seasons to get over the hump and couldn’t see it. That was the opportunity, but since they left the roster short during that open window we at least now have all kinds of cap space, right?

They aren’t good at this, and it’s now when it begins to get much more difficult.
I think Philly and Dallas both anticipate a better selection of head coaching candidates being available after the 2024 season than after last season. It’s remarkable the Eagles did not terminate Sirianni after their team’s disappointing season. It wasn’t just one game. Both franchises can see the Giants and Commanders will be coming on in the next few seasons and they need to make prudent decisions to counter that. Philly, other than Barkley, has signed a number of free agents to one year deals as a way of dealing with immediate needs. They’ve secured, in addition to Hurts, a couple of good receivers and have a highly regarded O-line coach that will remain employed. Their’s will be a very desirable head coaching opportunity. So will the Cowboys’ head coaching spot as a new regime will have options wide open sans long term commitments to players. It’s two different avenues to get to the same goal. Both franchise are smart enough to look over their shoulders to see what is coming up behind them. Washington is chasing a new stadium, so they’re going to be very aggressive immediately. New York G’s ownership has won more Super Bowls in the salary cap era than Dallas and Philly combined. The days of ”NFC least” are fast coming to an end.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hell ........ its not even okay for fans to be critical of the team by the Jerry fans on this board.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Philly and Dallas both anticipate a better selection of head coaching candidates being available after the 2024 season than after last season. It’s remarkable the Eagles did not terminate Sirianni after their team’s disappointing season. It wasn’t just one game. Both franchises can see the Giants and Commanders will be coming on in the next few seasons and they need to make prudent decisions to counter that. Philly, other than Barkley, has signed a number of free agents to one year deals as a way of dealing with immediate needs. They’ve secured, in addition to Hurts, a couple of good receivers and have a highly regarded O-line coach that will remain employed. Their’s will be a very desirable head coaching opportunity. So will the Cowboys’ head coaching spot as a new regime will have options wide open sans long term commitments to players. It’s two different avenues to get to the same goal. Both franchise are smart enough to look over their shoulders to see what is coming up behind them. Washington is chasing a new stadium, so they’re going to be very aggressive immediately. New York G’s ownership has won more Super Bowls in the salary cap era than Dallas and Philly combined. The days of ”NFC least” are fast coming to an end.
The Giants have quietly added some nice players, but any success ultimately falls on to Jones, which could happen but not likely. I’ve been wrongly predicting their improvement for a few years now.

In Washington, one of two things is true…either Daniels is a total bust or they soar right past us. Either could easily happen.

Lately Dallas has been able to dominate those two and hold serve vs Philly. Their overall record vs non division foes has been very meh.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Giants have quietly added some nice players, but any success ultimately falls on to Jones, which could happen but not likely. I’ve been wrongly predicting their improvement for a few years now.

In Washington, one of two things is true…either Daniels is a total bust or they soar right past us. Either could easily happen.

Lately Dallas has been able to dominate those two and hold serve vs Philly. Their overall record vs non division foes has been very meh.
Let me state it a different way. The difference between the 1st place team and the 4th place team in the NFC East this season will be less than last season. None of the four teams in the NFCE is winning the next Super Bowl. If Jones proves not to be the guy then the Giants and Cowboys will both have new QB1s in 2025. The past, even the recent past, is no indication of what may happen in the future. I think most here will agree being “able to dominate“ the Giants and Commanders and “hold serve vs Philly” certainly is no indication of future success.