When is it okay for a player to openly be critical of how a team is run?

Blackrain

Reaction score
ModEdit: https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-bra...e-right-coaches-in-the-right-position-in-2023

I saw Brandon Graham in an interview talk about last years Eagle defense and literally say that "we didn't have all the right coaches in the right position...you just noticed little stuff that the players weren't on the same page with the coaches..."

Now I know if a Cowboy player said this, the board would explode. Or would it? How much good will with an organization does a player have to have to be able to openly be critical of the team? Brandon Graham has been with the Eagles for his entire career (15 years) and will retire an Eagle as the all-time leader in games played. He is highly respected around the league. He has certainly built up enough what I call "NFL capital" to speak his mind. Hurts recently was roasted in the Philly Media for not voicing enough support for Siranni. No one said a word about Graham.

So I ask, what Cowboy on the current roster can say what Graham said and get away with it in both the Media and message boards?
None of them
You actually have to care about winning not just scoring a big contract for it to make sense to voice your opinion and be critical of coaching staff and management.

This group doesn't care about winning just stay on the field pump up your stats and set yourself up for the big payday.

The only time they might speak up against the coach or front office is if it affects our bottom line.

Otherwise this group is it just about show me the money

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
None of them
You actually have to care about winning not just scoring a big contract for it to make sense to voice your opinion and be critical of coaching staff and management.

This group doesn't care about winning just stay on the field pump up your stats and set yourself up for the big payday.

The only time they might speak up against the coach or front office is if it affects our bottom line.

Otherwise this group is it just about show me the money
Aren’t all professional athletes primarily “about show me the money”? This is not exclusive to the Dallas Cowboys. Graham is a well compensated veteran player with the same team throughout a comparatively very long career. He’s been around his team long enough to be able to see differences in processes and coaching personnel. He is close to retirement. He has earned the right to say whatever he wants about the Eagles. Few players are in the position he is to know the can speak out with no repercussion or even resentment.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Aren’t all professional athletes primarily “about show me the money”? This is not exclusive to the Dallas Cowboys.
Definitely not exclusive to the Cowboys and all players care about the money but there are players who care about their legacy. Some players care about winning above all else. These are the players to look for. These are the players to sign up long term. These are the players to lead your team. These are the players we have been missing.