When is the last time you said, great off season?

rambo2

Reaction score
Ive been coming here for years, since the site on the Cowboys website went away. Every off season its the same thing. People complaining about what the team is NOT doing. Last year they were whining about kicker and how we should be signing Crosby to a deal(one that have been costly) and then pow, we ended up with maybe the best kicker in the league.

So it made me think..... when was the last time we had an off season BEFORE the draft that you stood up and said Damn! what a great job the FO did this year? Im thinking for most of you, that is never. Im thinking for most of you, its the same old this front office sucks and does nothing correct.

Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
Last year when they traded for Cooks and Gilmore.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Last year wasn’t terrible. Did I say great? No but I thought pretty damn good

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When’s the last time the playoffs ended and you said “that was a great season”? Almost like there could be a correlation…
Total garbage. Look at 3 teams in the past 10 seasons that you could say had a GREAT off season. UNless those teams had Brady or Mahomes, that great off season likely didnt mean jack squat.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Great off-season? Probably 2008. There was also reason for optimism in 2012 with Carr and Claiborne additions.

But we just don't invest enough in the physical positions to have a 'great offseason'-- not since Parcells, at least.

When we finally bring in blue chip talent and depth along the trenches, I will consider it a great off-season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ive been coming here for years, since the site on the Cowboys website went away. Every off season its the same thing. People complaining about what the team is NOT doing. Last year they were whining about kicker and how we should be signing Crosby to a deal(one that have been costly) and then pow, we ended up with maybe the best kicker in the league.

So it made me think..... when was the last time we had an off season BEFORE the draft that you stood up and said Damn! what a great job the FO did this year? Im thinking for most of you, that is never. Im thinking for most of you, its the same old this front office sucks and does nothing correct.

Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
TY :hammer: :popcorn: yes we remember the fans a couple years ago using term historically bad offseason they were predicting doom and gloom and we went to the second round of the playoffs.. You are correct there are more ways to build a roster than the first week or two in free agency there's hundreds of players 3D at every position still available in free agency there's still the draft there's still trades to be made I'm not panicking until this team starts out like 3:00 and 7:00 but even then I saw this team do that and turn it around in 2018 by making a big trade and I realize it hasn't got us to a Super Bowl or even a championship game but people do need to relax they all think the off-season's over when it's barely begun I still don't get it there are hundreds of free agents that are available right now most of the league is in neutral waiting till after the draft and then they will go get some of these guys that are out there they're also will be more cut after the draft and cut down dates before the season starts and all the way to the trade deadline you can change your team..

This is a marathon and they're acting like they just ran the 100 yard dash in the Olympics and if you didn't build your team in the first two weeks then it was over... they never will calm down or relax..its earlier every year the negative posts and all saying how the division passed us by then boom we win that division 2 of the last 3 years...

They literally did not hand out trophies before a single game is played you need to play the season and we can judge the season and we can call it bad strategy in the offseason if that is the reason we have a bad season... I mean watch the damn games and then we can judge them game by game week by week and then in totality when it's all over all these dream teams on paper the harsh reality is that doesn't mean how it's gonna end up by the Super bowl they're going to be a surprise team...

I mean Kansas City is a good example I know we're not Kansas City but I don't remember the last three years them doing anything crazy in the offseason.. To me being the Super bowl champions and constantly in the championship games would be the people you need to look to not just the 49ers the Rams or the Eagles literally Kansas City I'd like somebody to list all the aggressive moves they made in the offseason as far as their outside free agents and all the big trades... I just don't see it I mean I seen the last couple seasons where they went with running back by committee they trusted a seventh round running back Hannah wide receiver by committee they slowly got rid of most of their wide receiver talent they signed a few of their own players they made a few basic free agent acquisitions I mean correct me if I'm wrong somebody showed me what Kansas city's done the last three offseasons...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Great off-season? Probably 2008. There was also reason for optimism in 2012 with Carr and Claiborne additions.

But we just don't invest enough in the physical positions to have a 'great offseason'-- not since Parcells, at least.

When we finally bring in blue chip talent and depth along the trenches, I will consider it a great off-season.
But I think some of you are gonna miss the point stop complaining about the offseason because the offseason isn't how you win games they're not giving out awards for being the best offseason on paper you literally gotta play the games and the fact is all the negativity the last three years let's keep it just there the Cowboys have won 36 games two division titles and been in the playoff three straight years.. So the off seasons have not been a barometer on how the season was gonna go we're a top six team in the league even though our own fan base thinks we're at the bottom 6:00 because of the off seasons but the offseason is more than making moves the first two weeks of free agency yes five months to build your team through the rest of the free agent pool the draft and trades... They may not be the best front office in the league but they are far from the worst and it's ridiculous on how they're being judged by the 1st 2 weeks in the free agent. When you have five more months with lots of other options to go with... You all are deeming this a bad offseason before the draft and before any real moves are being made...

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I liked last offseason, outside of the fact that they neglected RB and LB. Prior to that, maybe 2016?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'd argue that the last three offseasons were at least solid. Some of them I felt were a little incomplete, for example last year I loved adding Gilmore/Cooks, but hated that were were banking on Tyron Smith and LVE to stay healthy with minimal depth at the positions.

2022 was OK but certainly not great. Nothing spectacular but I liked the draft and loved that they brought back both Kearse and Hooker. Going into this offseason I felt like we didn't need splashy moves and could go the keep building and add another draft class route.

2021 I loved despite it not being flashy. It was a high volume of roster moves after a horrible 2020 year. High quantity of draft picks, but also went out and got some very solid players in Urban, Watkins, Kearse, Kazee, Anger, etc. The only real issue I had with that offseason was letting Awuzie walk.

My expectations are not that a team has to win the offseason, but the Cowboys this year are not trying to do much of anything despite having a roster that has issues at nearly every position group.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I don't know when the last time I said that but I do know that this has been the most frustrating offseason I can remember in a long time. Here are the reasons for my furstrations:

1) Mike McCarthy retained his job after that embarrassing playoff disaster. Entire coaching staff should have been fired immediately with so many good HC coaching candidates available.
2) The entire Dak contract situation and questions surrounding what we do with Dak. Currently we have no clue what the Jones' boys intend to do. I just want a resolution.
3) The lack of moves in free agency. I don't recall a time when we were ever this quiet. We have only signed 1 cheap veteran who had a better offer but decided he wanted to play for Zimmer.
4) Very low draft capital in 2024. I know we can gain more by moving around in the draft or using picks from 2025 but it does make the draft a little less exciting. Especially when we go into the draft with multiple needs. I can see a run on OLine in the 1st round and teams jumping us to get OLinemen we want with Jerry sitting on his thumb and the same thing happening in the 2nd or 3rd round with RB.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Last year.

Then Diggs got hurt and the coaching staff and front office failed to adjust ..... and Dak choked in the playoffs ...... again.

CWR

Reaction score

I felt pretty good about last year, until the draft had me wondering about the picks. That's not uncommon though, so I decided not to jump to conclusions about our draft. It appears it is as crappy as it looked now.

shabazz

Reaction score
When was the Herschel Waller trade again?
I'm not sure what year it was but I recall an obese FG kicker with a foot shaped like a small pork shoulder playing around that time......maybe the 50s?

shabazz

Reaction score
My greatest disappointment was Mo Claiborne not appearing on Jeapordy......what a lost opportunity

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If this is indeed a rebuild I will say it 3x standing backwards looking into the Eclipse of the Sun

shabazz

Reaction score
If this is indeed a rebuild I will say it 3x standing backwards looking into the Eclipse of the Sun
Yup, all the signs are there. The FO has set the stage.

What they do with Dak will be the true proof if they are "all in" on this reboot. They could resign him, trade him to another team or trade Parsons or Ceedee to move way up to get a quarterback.....none of these scenarios would shock me

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
But I think some of you are gonna miss the point stop complaining about the offseason because the offseason isn't how you win games they're not giving out awards for being the best offseason on paper you literally gotta play the games and the fact is all the negativity the last three years let's keep it just there the Cowboys have won 36 games two division titles and been in the playoff three straight years.. So the off seasons have not been a barometer on how the season was gonna go we're a top six team in the league even though our own fan base thinks we're at the bottom 6:00 because of the off seasons but the offseason is more than making moves the first two weeks of free agency yes five months to build your team through the rest of the free agent pool the draft and trades... They may not be the best front office in the league but they are far from the worst and it's ridiculous on how they're being judged by the 1st 2 weeks in the free agent. When you have five more months with lots of other options to go with... You all are deeming this a bad offseason before the draft and before any real moves are being made...
Winning the off-season on paper doesn't mean you'll have success on the field-- that's true. But to have success, you have to stack good to great off-seasons.

I think all of us recognize that the FO isn't complete garbage. They field competitive regular season teams, which is an accomplishment.

But to take the next step, they have to break away from the status quo because clearly that has only lead to early playoff exits.

It's natural to be frustrated when it looks like we're just running the same off-season playbook, yet again.