When is the last time you said, great off season?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don't know when the last time I said that but I do know that this has been the most frustrating offseason I can remember in a long time. Here are the reasons for my furstrations:

1) Mike McCarthy retained his job after that embarrassing playoff disaster. Entire coaching staff should have been fired immediately with so many good HC coaching candidates available.
2) The entire Dak contract situation and questions surrounding what we do with Dak. Currently we have no clue what the Jones' boys intend to do. I just want a resolution.
3) The lack of moves in free agency. I don't recall a time when we were ever this quiet. We have only signed 1 cheap veteran who had a better offer but decided he wanted to play for Zimmer.
4) Very low draft capital in 2024. I know we can gain more by moving around in the draft or using picks from 2025 but it does make the draft a little less exciting. Especially when we go into the draft with multiple needs. I can see a run on OLine in the 1st round and teams jumping us to get OLinemen we want with Jerry sitting on his thumb and the same thing happening in the 2nd or 3rd round with RB.
On point 4, that's so true.

They rely heavily on the draft, and draft best when drafting pseudo-BPA (think Lamb, Martin, etc).

The lack of draft capital and FA moves is setting up to a draft-for-need situation that has a higher rate for failure.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everyone seemed happy with last years offseason. We signed Cooks and Gilmore. We didn’t lose many players. Everyone was ready to move on from Zeke. I thought that was one of the more solid offseason’s we’ve had in a while.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The last time the Cowboys moved the needle in the off season for me was hiring Bill Parcells.

Big_D

Reaction score
They got absolutely rolled in the playoffs. Their offseasons are never good enough to get over that hump. This one has been a complete disaster. Some actually still think good things are happening here? lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I liked last offseason, outside of the fact that they neglected RB and LB. Prior to that, maybe 2016?
They didnt neglect RB, they decided to let Pollard be the number 1. In hindsight, that didnt work out so well, but I was with them. I thought pollard would have a big season.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Everyone seemed happy with last years offseason. We signed Cooks and Gilmore. We didn’t lose many players. Everyone was ready to move on from Zeke. I thought that was one of the more solid offseason’s we’ve had in a while.
and we got bounced in our 1st playoff game......I agree, I thought it was a good off season, and both those moves were good. BUT, it never guarantees a title.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
and we got bounced in our 1st playoff game......I agree, I thought it was a good off season, and both those moves were good. BUT, it never guarantees a title.
Nothing guarantees a title.

kskboys

Reaction score
It was, but we desperately needed Mazi to turn out, and to take a big OG in the 2nd.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A good offseason is generally defined by adding talent either thru FA or the Draft while resigning veterans.

No doubt the final analysis or evaluation won’t come until the results of the season are in.

But we can draw some hypotheses and opinions based on the activity or lack of in offseason along with our priorities addressing weaknesses and holes left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea. I was thinking as far back to the time Deion Sanders came to Dallas, but he didn't sign with Dallas until week 2 of the 1995 season.
Last year off season wasn’t bad. We signed Gilmore and Cooks, both starters filling holes .

We released Elliott which most wanted. But we didn’t address properly replacing him buying in totally on Pollard . We depended on our 1st round pick Mazi to impact DT which disappointed and we didn’t draft OL early enough.

Losing starting or key talent in offseason is all part of NFL in Cap era. The bigger question is how well did we address those holes and or weaknesses the results of the season expose.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They didnt neglect RB, they decided to let Pollard be the number 1. In hindsight, that didnt work out so well, but I was with them. I thought pollard would have a big season.
Not all of us totally agreed. We warned he wasn’t enough to fully be an every down RB to carry the load recommending a greater supporting cast.

A big part of these forum settings or platform is to provide our analysts and critique . We don’t all have to agree on strategies, etc . And we don’t have to all agree with the decisions and moves the team makes.

Much like many were counting on Mazi to make an impact . Many felt it was negative not to expect . Who knows, maybe he comes on this year but until that happens it’s fair game to critique.

And that’s what this all boils down to. Offering our thoughts on different aspects and subject matters . And unfortunately until there’s more success in the playoffs there’s liable to be more harsh and repetitive dialogue than homerism.

I’d say the criticism and more negative narrative is warranted. That said there’s always hope and a place for optimistic rhetoric.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Ive been coming here for years, since the site on the Cowboys website went away. Every off season its the same thing. People complaining about what the team is NOT doing. Last year they were whining about kicker and how we should be signing Crosby to a deal(one that have been costly) and then pow, we ended up with maybe the best kicker in the league.

So it made me think..... when was the last time we had an off season BEFORE the draft that you stood up and said Damn! what a great job the FO did this year? Im thinking for most of you, that is never. Im thinking for most of you, its the same old this front office sucks and does nothing correct.

Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
You may have just gained a fan....because honestly....looking @ the big picture nothing has been shocking ....Would I have liked to kept Gallup....yes....moved on from Prescott....Yes
...catch me after the draft.....because that's gonna be key. It's just sucks that this team puts itself in the position to draft for need...year after year

plasticman

Reaction score

Only defending Super Bowl champions have great offseasons.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Ive been coming here for years, since the site on the Cowboys website went away. Every off season its the same thing. People complaining about what the team is NOT doing. Last year they were whining about kicker and how we should be signing Crosby to a deal(one that have been costly) and then pow, we ended up with maybe the best kicker in the league.

So it made me think..... when was the last time we had an off season BEFORE the draft that you stood up and said Damn! what a great job the FO did this year? Im thinking for most of you, that is never. Im thinking for most of you, its the same old this front office sucks and does nothing correct.

Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
When's the last time so many players walked and we had no replacement? Yes there's still the draft but it can't fix this many holes.

Some are happy though because they think it means Dak is gone, I'm not so sure about that.

Unless we have a historically great draft we're not going to be better than a 9-8 team next year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When's the last time so many players walked and we had no replacement? Yes there's still the draft but it can't fix this many holes.

Some are happy though because they think it means Dak is gone, I'm not so sure about that.

Unless we have a historically great draft we're not going to be better than a 9-8 team next year.
yawn on your 9-8 prediction. If you are so sure, go bet some cash as Vegas says you are wrong.

Jayinem

Reaction score
yawn on your 9-8 prediction. If you are so sure, go bet some cash as Vegas says you are wrong.
Yawn on your whatever prediction where we overachieve without the talent to do so. Bet you haven't even looked at the schedule. You're just making wild assumptions because you're a Dak homer right?

We got the AFC North, we got SF in SF, we got Houston, we got Detroit. Brutal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not all of us totally agreed. We warned he wasn’t enough to fully be an every down RB to carry the load recommending a greater supporting cast.

A big part of these forum settings or platform is to provide our analysts and critique . We don’t all have to agree on strategies, etc . And we don’t have to all agree with the decisions and moves the team makes.

Much like many were counting on Mazi to make an impact . Many felt it was negative not to expect . Who knows, maybe he comes on this year but until that happens it’s fair game to critique.

And that’s what this all boils down to. Offering our thoughts on different aspects and subject matters . And unfortunately until there’s more success in the playoffs there’s liable to be more harsh and repetitive dialogue than homerism.

I’d say the criticism and more negative narrative is warranted. That said there’s always hope and a place for optimistic rhetoric.
well damn... you were right on Pollard.... how much have you been wrong on? Should I start researching? You seem to want to label me as some homer.... you are nuts. How many times have you ever heard me say this is the year? We are winning the SB this year? Here, Ill help you out... NEVER.

Guess what, i can say every single year team X isnt winning the SB because this move and that move are horrible and their front office is pathetic.... I could do that for soccer, and I couldnt name you 2 soccer teams, but guess what? Id be right 95% of the time. Just because you said Pollard wasnt good enough to be the every down guy you are some expert? Id guess if I went back and found your thoughts on the past 6 drafts, there would be a whole lot of your "Ëvaluatoons," that ended up being absolute garbage.

How many times have you read someone in here saying damn, the Cowboys blew it by not taking player X, and player X ends up being an absolute BUST! Hell, even before this season half or more of this board said CeeDee Lamb was not a number 1..... how did that turn out?

Out of the first 64 players taken in the first 2 rounds, how many end up being garbage? Probably half or so.