When is the last time you said, great off season?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Ive been coming here for years, since the site on the Cowboys website went away. Every off season its the same thing. People complaining about what the team is NOT doing. Last year they were whining about kicker and how we should be signing Crosby to a deal(one that have been costly) and then pow, we ended up with maybe the best kicker in the league.

So it made me think..... when was the last time we had an off season BEFORE the draft that you stood up and said Damn! what a great job the FO did this year? Im thinking for most of you, that is never. Im thinking for most of you, its the same old this front office sucks and does nothing correct.

Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
As you just articulated, there is no correlation to Cowboys offseasons and playoff success.

The Cowboys have won 4 Wildcard games over the past 28 years.................that is 1 Wildcard win every 7 years, on average.

The problem is that people that have been in charge of decision making and talent acquisition over this time span are still in charge today.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here is what you said: NFL Teams winning multiple playoff games these days are built with a combination of good drafts, smart but selective free agent signings, and flexible long term cap management.

You and me are clearly not talking the same language. You said teams winning multiple playoff games and LONG TERM cap management. So i assumed we were not talking about a team that had a decent season once out of 40 years.I assumed we were talking about teams that have the key to success mapped out. You are right in that I asked for TEAMS, since you said teams. You gave me one example, that is a pathetic example IMO. I am still waiting for TEAMS.
If you want a model to follow, the first thing I would do is look at who the playoffs teams are on a regular basis that make a deep run consistently.

Chiefs............................goes without saying.
San Francisco...............Have been to the SB with two different starting QBs recently.
Philadelphia..................They have been to 2 SBs in the past 6 years.
Cincinatti.......................Have made several deep playoff runs the past couple of years, including a SB.

I would recommend following these teams' method of roster construction over the Cowboys, I mean the results speak for themselves. These four teams listed have more playoff wins in just the last couple of seasons than the Cowboys have had in almost 30 years. That is just a statistical fact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dam bro, you are really showing your age.................that was 30 freaking years ago

Half the members on this board were not even born yet.

They could relive the glory days, but you would have to explain to them what a VHS tape is:laugh:
I’ve come to the conclusion that from North Calif and traveling to road games he’s used to battling with opposing fans and haters of the Cowboys not actual Cowboy fans who are critical of our ownership , their direction and results this Century.

That last frustrated immature response clearly is what you’d say to opposing fans.

It’s difficult to imagine we’d still have diehard Cowboy fans who’d still be in support of our ownership. I know none here locally.

fivetwos

Reaction score
@Diehardblues
@Reid1boys

Anything terribly wrong with understanding that that a pro team or a game could easily mean different things to different people?

Many are mad. Some prefer to take a more positive view. Some figure they can’t control it so why get upset? Etc…

I tend to side more with what DHB is saying, but at the same time I know that Reid enjoys trips to games with his family, and considering how much that all probably means, I can see wanting to have a positive outlook. I was once in that spot, although my travels were mostly in pre family days.

Anyway fellas, to each his/her own. Maybe I say that because I know my new fan position come September isn’t going to be popular lol.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dam bro, you are really showing your age.................that was 30 freaking years ago

Half the members on this board were not even born yet.

They could relive the glory days, but you would have to explain to them what a VHS tape is:laugh:
I guess you are too young to get my point. Its not about the SBs actually....lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
@Diehardblues
@Reid1boys

Anything terribly wrong with understanding that that a pro team or a game could easily mean different things to different people?

Many are mad. Some prefer to take a more positive view. Some figure they can’t control it so why get upset? Etc…

I tend to side more with what DHB is saying, but at the same time I know that Reid enjoys trips to games with his family, and considering how much that all probably means, I can see wanting to have a positive outlook. I was once in that spot, although my travels were mostly in pre family days.

Anyway fellas, to each his/her own. Maybe I say that because I know my new fan position come September isn’t going to be popular lol.
And that’s fine having a more positive outlook which I’ve mentioned in several post. I’ve always maintained there’s room for all types of fans.

But that’s not enough for him. He has to create a thread calling out those who aren’t as positive or supportive . Which places him in the line of fire.

Instead he should be creating threads promoting his positive and supportive opinions on this offseason, our ownership and leadership with how he feels it impacts or doesn’t the results.

Complaining about those complaining and more negative or less supportive of status quo is just more complaining. Bring that positive spin that drives you. Tell us why you think we should be more aligned with your positive stance instead of just bashing fellow Cowboy fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IM sorry I embarrass you. Ill try to better.
If you choose to be more supportive and positive of our ownership and how they run Cowboys football… all the power to you.

But when you start threads bashing fellow Cowboy fans for their criticism it places you in the line of fire . That’s your choice .

I’d suggest starting threads presenting your positive spin and why you feel that way instead of bashing others for theirs.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The 2008 offseason. We brought in PAC Man, signed the Barber to a big extension, had two first round draft picks and was on Hard Knocks. Lots of promise coming into that season. :facepalm: :laugh:At least Jerry was all in with transactions.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And that’s fine having a more positive outlook which I’ve mentioned in several post. I’ve always maintained there’s room for all types of fans.

But that’s not enough for him. He has to create a thread calling out those who aren’t as positive or supportive . Which places him in the line of fire.

Instead he should be creating threads promoting his positive and supportive opinions on this offseason, our ownership and leadership with how he feels it impacts or doesn’t the results.

Complaining about those complaining and more negative or less supportive of status quo is just more complaining. Bring that positive spin that drives you. Tell us why you think we should be more aligned with your positive stance instead of just bashing fellow Cowboy fans.
and you should not worry about telling others how to post. I guess you just dont get it... how a fan forum works.....lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score

You ust have forgot who you are talking to. Remember, we go back to the old site. And you want to talk to someone else about putting themselves in the line of fire? cmon now. I say what I want to say in regards to the Cowboys, just like you do. I do not worry about being in the "Line of fire."This is a fan forum, not a combat zone. Ive been in a real combat zone.... thats the line of fire.

This... this is off season football talk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You ust have forgot who you are talking to. Remember, we go back to the old site. And you want to talk to someone else about putting themselves in the line of fire? cmon now. I say what I want to say in regards to the Cowboys, just like you do. I do not worry about being in the "Line of fire."This is a fan forum, not a combat zone. Ive been in a real combat zone.... thats the line of fire.

This... this is off season football talk.
And so far you haven’t provided any off season talk besides bashing fellow Cowboy fans for their opinions .

Attempting to discredit other fans opinions by insulting or mimicking them isn’t what this forum is about.

Again, if you support how the Cowboys have conducted their offseason, the direction and decisions of our ownership then hail the results. Don’t bash others for not feeling the same way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ive been coming here for years, since the site on the Cowboys website went away. Every off season its the same thing. People complaining about what the team is NOT doing. Last year they were whining about kicker and how we should be signing Crosby to a deal(one that have been costly) and then pow, we ended up with maybe the best kicker in the league.

So it made me think..... when was the last time we had an off season BEFORE the draft that you stood up and said Damn! what a great job the FO did this year? Im thinking for most of you, that is never. Im thinking for most of you, its the same old this front office sucks and does nothing correct.

Whats the point of my post? to say relax. You cant judge any off season in April. Yea, yea, I know, but its been 735 years since they have done anything in the playoffs and blah blah blah.
Last year.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

That would be the year the Cowboys acquired Charles Haley.......................1992!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lot of fair weather cry baby fans around here. Appreciate you!

Chasing6

Reaction score

When is the last time we had an incomplete off season or any NFL team for that matter.