When MM get Fired, which type of HC do you want? OC/DC or retread?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just a matter of time in which MM gets fired, could be in-season or after the season is completed. What type of Head Coach do you hope the Cowboys hire as MM's replacement?

-Modern OC like Detroit's Ben Johnson, Kubiak from the Vikings, Slowik from the Texans
-Former HC with a DC background: many are from the Bellichek coaching tree, including himself: Bellicheck, Vrabel, Flores, Saban*
-College-Lincoln Riley, D. Sanders, etc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fired? Jerry Jones could simply let Mike McCarthy's contract expire, just as he did with Jason Garrett.

I do not think Jones would hire Lincoln Riley. Then again, I believe Riley's chances are better than Ben Johnson and Bill Belicheck's.

I would select Mike Vrabel's chances out of the available choices in the OP. I did not always think he could be a possibility but Vrabel is more of a confrontational-to-players type coach. He does not really project himself above team. Vrabel could be the type of head coach Jones would allow himself to work with.

bewp7

Reaction score
ill be happy with a coach who is not a big fat dummy and who can get his team to show up for a playoff game and manage the clock better then a 10 year old on madden

my standard is not high!!!

Sydla

Reaction score
OC to work with the QB.

We are tied to Dak for 2-3 more seasons, so might as well bring in a brilliant offensive guy who might be able to get more out of Dak. If we were starting fresh at QB, then I wouldn't be so tied to hiring an OC type.

fivetwos

Reaction score
My most serious answer….anyone selected by a previously hired GM who will actually be able to pick his own staff and be allowed to control the locker room without Jerry’s interference.

While we are in fantasy land my top choices are Brian Flores, who as a dime dropper Jerry won’t even allow in the building for an interview, or Mike Vrabel who Jerry has probably never heard of.

The actual choice is going to be someone who no one else would ever hire as a HC, so they will agree to Jerry’s meddling….like Rex Ryan.

I just can’t wait to see what a joke he makes of the Rooney Rule yet again. Maybe that one finally catches up to him.

John813

Reaction score
IMO I still think Jerry's answer for 2025 is Bill B.
1. He wants to coach, but I don't think he's in high demand
2. He left NE on bad terms with Kraft. Jerry doesn't like Kraft
3. While old and possibly out of touch with the current crop of players, he is that "old school" coach that should at least get some respect his first year.
4. Jerry has admiration for Bill. Doubt he rolls with a young coach.
5. He was willing to give up some GM duties to stay in NE. He would probably let Jerry have input in player personnel to coach for the record/spite Kraft.

Who I would want is any of the three from your first list. Johnson being #1. If he can make Goff look good again, well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I would select Mike Vrabel's chances out of the available choices in the OP. I did not always think he could be a possibility but Vrabel is more of a confrontational-to-players type coach. He does not really project himself above team. Vrabel could be the type of head coach Jones would allow himself to work with.
He's probably my favorite. Belichick might actually be, but I don't think that's going to happen for money and control reasons.

I thought he did a heck of a job at Tennessee and it was moronic for them to fire him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What is the difference, he won't be coaching the team next season.
There is no difference but I think most fans would like to see him fired. It sends more of a message than letting him play out the season and not renewing his contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Kubiak from the Vikings, Slowik from the Texans
-Former HC with a DC background: many are from the Bellichek coaching tree, including himself: Bellicheck, Vrabel, Flores, Saban*
Any from this list... but Saban would be at the top