When was the last time you truly felt like we had a chance to win a Super Bowl

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
A slight chance in 2007. Yeah they had Wade but 1995 had Switzer too.
The difference is in 1995 you had a leader like Aikman who didn't care to upset people and get in their faces. Aikman was a leader of men and we've not seen a QB like him for the Cowboys since.

The long term QBs since Aikman, like Romo and Dak, are NOT the leader that Aikman was.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
because it's never worked. Not saying it will never happen, but the team did exactly what any other team would do no matter the chance of winning.

No Cowboys QB has ever won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30 or more. Dallas has lost every time.

It didn't matter if it was Romo or Dak when Rodgers was joyriding down the field against the defense all day.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
:facepalm:

Yeah, because QB lost that game to the Packers (300 yards, 3 TDs, 31 points). It couldn't have been the defense that gave up 4 TD drives of 75 yards or longer, then couldn't hold GB for 30 seconds to force OT. Nah, had to be that rookie QB.
I agree, I don't see Romo playing better than that, but it also highlights the different levels of QBs like Rodgers when compared to guys like Dak and Romo.

Rodgers defense allowed a rookie QB to throw for over 300 yards, 3 TDs, and put up 31 points. Rodgers STILL makes the plays to win that game. That is the difference in good and great.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought they would make it to the SB in 2007 for sure. Losing to the Giants in the playoffs was a bummer. The Cowboys were clearly the better team but not finishing that season was the biggest disappointment in a long time. They should have won that game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Right now. It all depends on injuries and how well the defense can improve. If the team can stay healthy and the defense jells then they can certainly compete for a Super Bowl.

SB seems a bit overstated to me but if we get to the playoffs and win game one, I'll be fairly delighted to see we've improved. Baby steps. ;)

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao2:
22.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Late in the 2016 season, and I'm ashamed I got snookered one last time. No more. I'll believe there's a chance when I'm tuning in to watch an NFC title game involving the Cowboys. That's what it will take from now on.
I want the Cowboys to have a deep playoff run every year. But like you, the constant Koolaide and “secret sauce” sales from the FO has made me adopt this philosophy: “I’ll believe it when it happens.” I will be thrilled, celebrate, and give the almighty “credit” to JJ. But I’ve seen too many Jones movies to “believe” until it happens. Hope- yes. Buying the hype- not yet.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No Cowboys QB has ever won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30 or more. Dallas has lost every time.

It didn't matter if it was Romo or Dak when Rodgers was joyriding down the field against the defense all day.
The Cowboys have given up 30 points or more in a playoff game 10 times. They are 0-10 in those playoff games regardless or who was QB. In fact, here are the Cowboys starting QBs who could not overcome 30 points in a playoff game: Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo and Dak. Zero of those guys could outshoot a 30 points or more defensive give up.

Btw, the Cowboys are 35-18 in playoff games giving up less than 30.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Mine was in 06 because it was the last time we had a HC who could lead a team. That team was no where near perfect but if not for a fluke play we probably get to the SB. Now we have had some good runs since but under Garrett I never felt like he could coach anywhere on par with other coaches and sadly I feel the same way with MM.
The problem is the Jones keep trying to recreate the success of the past like having Garrett and Parcells. McCarthy is the same deal..had his own success and Jerry hopes he can repeat it again in Dallas. But I fell McCarthy is sub par for coaching in Dallas. He is chasing ghosts and he does not have anybody on his staff except Moore who would be considered as desirable to other staffs. MC Carthy has no coaching tree yo point to..no success record helping other staff be launched into the coaching ranks. Our better coaches had them..Landry had Reeves and Ditka..Parcells had Payton and McCarthy has his belly.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This is all true but we were 13-3 that year with a HOF pass rusher in Ware still in his prime and a matchup nightmare with TO on the outside with Barber grinding folks, I think our defense was serviceable I won't go as far as to say we would've got smoked by the Patriots because Eli them beat them I think that team had to play better defense to win it all but I think Wade would've cooked something up

I dont think we were ever going to win with JG as the coach, he would never game plan a team and in the playoffs that matters. In every playoff game he coached he was out coached..sometimes the players would win one despite him but eventually that "line up and beat the man" crap would get exposed when the talent got tight. I thought we had a shot in 2007 maybe a small one, with how NE handled us in the regular season but I could see us beating them.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
The last time that I thought we could win a Super Bowl? 2007. I thought that if we made it to the big game that we would have a puncher's chance against (probably) New England. I never thought that a rookie quarterback would take us to a SB win in 2016, well that plus I had long since concluded that under Jerry Jones we will never be competitive for a world title.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
2007 - We had a good defense and a rolling offense. Romo was balling, had a good connection with TO, Witten was in his prime, and we had a good defense anchored with DeMarcus Ware. My buddy worked for Coors distrubtion at the time and gave me this huge Coors Light Cowboys schedule poster. Each week I had a gold marker and I would write a W next to each matchup as the season progressed. I wrote a lot of Ws that season, and with each one I wrote down, my hype grew. I felt like we had a chance. Stoopid Mexico trip.

2009 - Again, I felt like we had a good defense and offense combo. We were rolling along pretty good that season. Playoffs came and we rolled the Eagles. Team looked like it was having fun out there and I didn't think old man Favre was going to be an issue for us in the next round. Yup, about that......

2014 - Things just seemed to be clicking. Our run game was dominating. Romo was playing incredible ball. We seemed to be getting some monkeys off our back beating teams we otherwise have struggled with (i.e. beating Seattle in Seattle). The defense, while not dominating or great, seemed to just be doing enough to keep us in games. We got another playoff win against a good Lions team. Things seemed great......until.......Rodgers.

Honorable Mention:

2016 - While I don't want to say I felt super great about a rookie taking us to the Super Bowl, one has to admit it was an intriguing year. We had some very impressive wins, some fantastic looking rookies, and we were rolling along through the season looking pretty stout. Making the playoffs with a first round bye was a plus, and, we can't possibly have another let down game against Rodgers.........right..........RIGHT? Wrong. :(

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2014 for sure. Not going into the season, but by the end of the season.

2016 I felt they could, but if they would have put Tony back in toward the end of the season for the playoffs. I would have been more comfortable about it.
And that is no way a knock on Dak. It was just an experience thing.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I thought we were good enough and we had Tony playing well to start the year, plus we had a decent schedule, I thought.

The one concern I had, as I do this year to be honest, was our backup QB situation. Turned out that Tony got hurt and was out for the year. The QB situation behind him was horrible and that was the end of that.

terra

Reaction score
The Cowboys have given up 30 points or more in a playoff game 10 times. They are 0-10 in those playoff games regardless or who was QB. In fact, here are the Cowboys starting QBs who could not overcome 30 points in a playoff game: Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo and Dak. Zero of those guys could outshoot a 30 points or more defensive give up.

Btw, the Cowboys are 35-18 in playoff games giving up less than 30.
Every single time. Through 5 decades. That says it all. Yeah Rodgers was the boogey man a couple of times but nuts in 2014 HE WAS ON ONE LEG and we could not stop him. The D failed - simple as that.