When was the last time you truly felt like we had a chance to win a Super Bowl

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Two times when Garrett was the HC where they had a legitimate shot. But honestly, with Garrett as the HC, it was very predictable that on the highest stage against the top competition and top coaching he would eventually make a big mistake or get out coached. Which is EXACTLY what happened both times.

Garrett didn't get out coached in either of the GB playoff games.

JustChip

Reaction score
This is all true but we were 13-3 that year with a HOF pass rusher in Ware still in his prime and a matchup nightmare with TO on the outside with Barber grinding folks, I think our defense was serviceable I won't go as far as to say we would've got smoked by the Patriots because Eli them beat them I think that team had to play better defense to win it all but I think Wade would've cooked something up
Except we had already played the Patriots at home and lost handily. We never had an answer to their passing attack, particularly Randy Moss. I venture to say Bill Belichick would’ve trumped Wade. The Giants won that Super Bowl in the strength if their defense and 2 very lucky plays. The play where Eli somehow escapes a sack and heaves a prayer to the middle of the field into double coverage and the JAG receiver catches it basically blind against his helmet. But that shouldn’t have mattered because I believe it was the play before that Eli gifted an INT to Assante Samual that that he simply dropped.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

In game management was terrible. Especially at the end of both games. I recall in one of them we were driving down the field and had the defense on their heals. Garrett called a timeout for he later said was so that "we could stop and regroup". No surprise we wound up stalling on the drive and stopping the clock. Should have kept the pressure on. He just panicked and it cost us the game. On both occasions he left way too much time on the clock for Rogers to do his thing. Which he did both times.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not since 1995 have I thought we had a team with a chance to WIN the Super Bowl. In 2007, 2014 and 2016 we lost in the division rounds and still needed to win the NFC championship game to just get to the SB. They may have lucked into getting into one in one of those years, but actually winning, I don't think they had the team to beat the Patriots in any of those seasons.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I didn't think it REAL strongly, but in 2014.

We'd beaten eventual NFC Champ Seattle at their place already and the team was rolling in late season. Possibly the most dominant December we've ever had.

That loss at Green Bay was brutal.

Before then, it was 2007. But that team was really floundering late in the season, losing 2 of their last 3.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
In game management was terrible. Especially at the end of both games. I recall in one of them we were driving down the field and had the defense on their heals. Garrett called a timeout for he later said was so that "we could stop and regroup". No surprise we wound up stalling on the drive and stopping the clock. Should have kept the pressure on. He just panicked and it cost us the game. On both occasions he left way too much time on the clock for Rogers to do his thing. Which he did both times.

ha ha. Ok.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Anytime Romo was the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys I felt like we had a chance that year. I don't know why but I just felt like we could. So to answer the question...2016 before they announced Dak as the full time starter that year. If they allow Romo back for the second half of that season. I think we finally bring a trophy back home.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Anytime Romo was the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys I felt like we had a chance that year. I don't know why but I just felt like we could. So to answer the question...2016 before they announced Dak as the full time starter that year. If they allow Romo back for the second half of that season. I think we finally bring a trophy back home.

Again I loved Romo, I'm just curious as to why you thought 2016 Romo w/ Garrett would differ from 2014 Romo w/ Garrett?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Defense gave up 60 points in 2 games yet still had a chance late in both of them, but couldn't stop Rodgers either time.

Rogers was hopping around on one leg for one of those games. GB didnt have a great defense that year either. ONLY way GB beats the Cowboys that year is if they get out to a nice lead and make our team one dimensional and take away our run game. All Cowboys had to do was get out to a lead and then lean on the run game.

What was Garrett's game plan? Play conservative and try to establish the run. Offense stalled out because they were expecting that and GB got out to a big lead early.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You mean bring Romo back and take out Dak after his 11 game win streak?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Again I loved Romo, I'm just curious as to why you thought 2016 Romo w/ Garrett would differ from 2014 Romo w/ Garrett?

Romo was 10x the QB in 2016 that Dak was in 2016. Romo was picking defenses apart every time he stepped on the field his last 2-3 NFL seasons. Dak was a rookie, winning because of the best running game in the world along with the best O line in the world. He literally was the definition of a bus driver in 2016. Romo would of made that team so scary on offense. Instead of just being the best running team in the league, Romo would of also made us one of the best passing teams. I don't think even Garrett would of been able to hold back that team.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Romo was 10x the QB in 2016 that Dak was in 2016. Romo was picking defenses apart every time he stepped on the field his last 2-3 NFL seasons. Dak was a rookie, winning because of the best running game in the world along with the best O line in the world. He literally was the definition of a bus driver in 2016. Romo would of made that team so scary on offense. Instead of just being the best running team in the league, Romo would of also made us one of the best passing teams. I don't think even Garrett would of been able to hold back that team.

That team was almost exactly like the 2014 team.....dont underestimate what Garrett could hold back......and we would still be playing rodgers....Ive seen this movie it doesnt end well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2014 and 2016.

2014 because of that offensive line, Murray breaking the single season Cowboys rushing record, and Romo just seemed to be in a zone that year.

2016 just seemed special. Everything we did was just working. It was like we couldn't do anything wrong. The O-line was still good, Zeke was 2014 Murray all over again but better overall, and Dak wasn't trying to do too much, but when we needed him to make a play he usually did. Everyone knew their roles and played them to perfect.

Aaron Rodgers though.... Ughh… Keep the bad man away, please.
I agree with this. That doesn't mean I thought odds were heavily in their favor, but the question was only about when we felt there was a chance. I felt there was a chance in those years.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Rogers was hopping around on one leg for one of those games. GB didnt have a great defense that year either. ONLY way GB beats the Cowboys that year is if they get out to a nice lead and make our team one dimensional and take away our run game. All Cowboys had to do was get out to a lead and then lean on the run game.

What was Garrett's game plan? Play conservative and try to establish the run. Offense stalled out because they were expecting that and GB got out to a big lead early.

Which year are you talking about? 2014? or 2016?

2014 we were one of the if not the most dominant run team in the league, of course running the ball would be our game plan, it's what got us to the game and a 13-3 record. And was working again until the RB fumbled - only if Garrett would have told 29 not to fumble.. stupid coach.

2016 - there were roughly 33 offensive plays (not counting punts) in the first half, you know when you establish stuff, and 19 of them were passes vs 10 runs.. maybe it was the 53 or so completion % by the rookie QB that hindered the O more than any game plan, it's hard to game plan for bad QB play, not to mention to throw an INT on the first series after halftime. Give him some credit though, he finished strong and made it a great game.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
You mean bring Romo back and take out Dak after his 11 game win streak?

Dak wasn't even a top 3 reason we won 11 games in a row that year. Romo would of made that team so damn scary on offense. We did the league a big service by keeping a rookie QB incapable of reading a defense with a very average arm at the time in on that offense. Obviously, Dak has totally evolved into a great QB but anyone who thinks he was better then what we had on the bench in 2016 is just a pure hater of Romo.

75boyz

Reaction score
2007. Not even close with any other team roster wise since 96. Parcells' defensive draft depth alone. They had like 6 to 8 good to excellent d linemen for that time.

13 Probowlers.

T.O. still dominant.

Romo had an excellent year.

Oline, although aging, put in a last dominant run for a lot of them.

Woulda shoulda coulda...

No other team has had anywhere near the defensive roster to keep up with the offense that that one had.

And then the Pats had to go undefeated and the Giant's Tyree had stickum on the top of his helmet(just kidding)to complete their upset miracle.

Bad memories for me, lol