When we traded for Roy Williams...

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I honestly thought he would help more next year than this year. But, I did not think he would not be utilized at all.

In some ways, Jerry Jones did panic. He was spooked that T.O. got old quick. We could have had him after this year and still kept our 1st round pick which will probably be in the 15-18 range. If we don't make the playoffs, it does look like a bad deal TODAY. Long term, RW will be fine but we could use those picks!

What do you guys think?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
I think Roy is a great addition. It's really rare to have such an amount of talent in one place, and I think the problem is our coaching staff doesn't know how to take full advantage of it.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I think you're right but you're gonna get a lot of snotty posts in this thread.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Joe Realist;2477764 said:
I honestly thought he would help more next year than this year. But, I did not think he would not be utilized at all.

In some ways, Jerry Jones did panic. He was spooked that T.O. got old quick. We could have had him after this year and still kept our 1st round pick which will probably be in the 15-18 range. If we don't make the playoffs, it does look like a bad deal TODAY. Long term, RW will be fine but we could use those picks!

What do you guys think?
I think more teams need to use San Fran's defensive scheme against TO.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
since Romo has been back TO had one huge game then another big game and Witten also had a big game. If not for the terrible conditions at Hienz Field we don't lose that game.....so i think the RW trade is paying dividends and we wouldn't have beat Tampa either.....

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it was a panic. The problem is Romo does not seem to look for Roy like he does TO and Witten. I'm not sure Garrett is calling many plays for him either. The idea was for Roy to help take some attention away from TO. He has done that at times, but our refusal to utilize him has defenses not even worrying about him. I hope he breaks out against the Giants. Man, would that make me giddy.

twentytwo

Reaction score
I think in the long run Roy Williams is going to be huge for this team. He's a great player with a great attitude.

Reaction score

What do you guys think?

Roy Williams is an overrated player. Said it before and say it again it's a big mistake to trade away all of what we did for a guy who has six catches.

Spectre

Reaction score
I think some team would have offered him a ridiculous amount of money that Jerry wouldn't be willing to match.

IF we make this postseason, all I need is for RW to make that "one big catch" and it will all have been worth it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

Your logic if flawed.

1. Jerry has wanted Roy for a long time.
2. Jerry signed TO to an extension so I dont think he was spooked nor does he think that Terrell "plays old"

Only TD we scored was by TO on Sunday... should have been game winner.

its the Pompatus of Love baby - BP :laugh2:

bigE79

Reaction score

What do you guys think?
i have just one question...what did this team need most in next years draft if we didnt get RW...A WR and what WR would we have gotten with those draft pics? a 1st and a 3rd that is any where near what RW is.imo:star:

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
With the draft being around a 95% crap shoot, you go with the "real deal" who has NFL cred, and is young enough to last a while. Roy Williams is just that.
I know we had probably the best draft we've had in years, and that makes Jerry & Co. look like genius's...............this year.
There are literally thousands of stories over the years of "top" draft picks never panning out, and "nobody" 6th rounders becoming All Pro's. The Payton Manning and Troy Aikman's of the world are rare. Players who actually live-up to their draft position. Sometimes their right, usually their wrong. That's life in the draft-world.
So, when a proven NFL talent becomes available, there's no question that you gobble him up. The only surprise in the Roy Williams debate is how some people expect him to be Jerry Rice on a new team that he joined up with halfway through a regular season! Give the guy at least one training camp to learn the new system and jell with his new QB before you begin evaluating the quality of the deal that was made to get him.
He's a six-year guy, so he's entering his prime as a WR in the NFL.
Think about Bobby Carpenter before you second guess giving up a high draft pick for Roy Williams. Because, the "Bobby Carpenter" debacle is more common then not when it comes to the draft. All we got out of that high draft pick (so far I hope), is a mediocre special teams guy..............

alancdc

Reaction score

What do you guys think?

I think it will only be fine if they choose to actually throw him the ball occasionally. He is being a GREAT teamate, but I would bet he is going back to someone he is close to and wondering what in the #)($*@#)* is going on. It is absurd that he can't get the ball more. For that matte, what happened to Patrick Crayton catching 55-60 passes a year in the 3rd spot? He used to kill it on 3rd down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jones did not panic. We needed another starting WR and Crayton wasn't it. Also it isn't Roy's fault he is being underutilized.

Making the playoffs this year has no bearing on wether this was a good or bad trade as this trade was made for the future not just this year.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
bigE79;2477823 said:
i have just one question...what did this team need most in next years draft if we didnt get RW...A WR and what WR would we have gotten with those draft pics? a 1st and a 3rd that is any where near what RW is.imo:star:

Problem with that is he was going to be an UFA (and there's no way Detroit planned on keeping him), so Dallas could have just signed him.

This move was made with "win now" aspirations in mind.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
what gets me is 90% of the fans wanted a receiver in the draft..and got furious that we didnt get one.....then everyone wanted every FA WR that came available at whatever price....got mad when we didnt ........

so Jerry pulls a trade and brings in a stud WR and everyone complains about the price....if we would have waited till free agency he would have cost alot more $ ...we would have been bidding against others......if we drafted one in the 1st we would have paid alot of $ and the pick may have been a bust......

so I say good trade for the furure give him and Romo a training camp together and they will mesh...............

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He is your classic, overated big slow receiver with lil separation skills.

Our offense has collapsed since he showed up and we snuffed Crayton and some of our younger WR's. Terrible morale move, production move, draft move, salary cap move.

And thats kinda not even debatable.

2much2soon

Reaction score
If we are still having this conversation 2 years from now, then I'll be concerned.