When we traded for Roy Williams...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2478003 said:
Jones did not panic. We needed another starting WR and Crayton wasn't it. Also it isn't Roy's fault he is being underutilized.

Making the playoffs this year has no bearing on wether this was a good or bad trade as this trade was made for the future not just this year.

I agree, but the fact that we did absolutely nothing to address WR over the last couple of years sort of left us stuck with Crayton at #2. After all that stuff Jerry talked about not needing another WR, to see him give up those picks for a WR in the middle of TO's supposed slump sort of leads me to believe he did in fact get spooked.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
twentytwo;2478201 said:
Thank you.
It is just such a silly idea put forth by people who are not listening to the team. This guy fits in perfectly here and is part of the re-awakening of the Offense. His production will pick up as the Offense gets healthy and learns each other. By next year this Offense will be virtually unstoppable.

LG is hurting. That limits the Offense right now.

Witten is seriously hurting. If he wasn't they would be so dangerous.

Barber is hurt. Choice is a rookie. Felix is gone. This running game can improve and he helps it by making teams focus on how we can beat them with the pass.

That is a lot of this Offense who are beat up. He is brand new in the Offense. Timing will come. Anyone who thinks it won't just doesn't get it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2478219 said:
It is just such a silly idea put forth by people who are not listening to the team. This guy fits in perfectly here and is part of the re-awakening of the Offense. His production will pick up as the Offense gets healthy and learns each other. By next year this Offense will be virtually unstoppable.

Barber is hurt. Choice is a rookie. Felix is gone. This running game can improve and he helps it by making teams focus on how we can beat them with the pass.

That is a lot of this Offense who are beat up. He is brand new in the Offense. Timing will come. Anyone who thinks it won't just doesn't get it.

Excuses-

He is not producing
We gave up a #1, #3
Gave him franchise like $9M per year money

Hos you said same condescending stuff about Henson/Romo

Stop with the don't get it diatribute. Facts are now in here - deal with that. FACTS

twentytwo

Reaction score
Hostile;2478219 said:

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think people realize what our offense could do at full strength.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
twentytwo;2478270 said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think people realize what our offense could do at full strength.
Some of them barely grasp that Offense means you have the ball not something you plead down.

:wink2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Joe Realist;2477764 said:
I honestly thought he would help more next year than this year. But, I did not think he would not be utilized at all.

In some ways, Jerry Jones did panic. He was spooked that T.O. got old quick. We could have had him after this year and still kept our 1st round pick which will probably be in the 15-18 range. If we don't make the playoffs, it does look like a bad deal TODAY. Long term, RW will be fine but we could use those picks!

What do you guys think?

There was no guarantee we would have nabbed him in FA as well. The Whiners or Faiders would have given him a $100m contract instead, leaving us in the dust.

I was against trading for him initially, but when all was said and done, I thought it was fair. Jerry would have drafted a WR in the 1st round anyways. At least we have all of our other draft picks.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Big, slower Wide Receivers that can't separate and get open, have bad hands are liabilitities

Our offense has crashed since ROY# 11 arrived - thats almost not even debatable either on a level playing field.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Start the blame, denial, excuse game to support Roy #11

Cuz that all it is

Batman

Reaction score
I think the trade was good, but I think it will pay off much more next year when Roy will have the whole off season to learn the offensive playbook better, and then with practices, mini-camps and pre-season games with the team, his timing and feel for the offense will be a lot better.

The thing I hope is Romo can find him, there have been several plays where RW has been more than open and Romo completely did not see it or he was too locked in on Owens or Witten.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Which 2008 WR would be the example of what we'd get next year.

Devin Thomas
Malcomb Kelly
Limas Sweed

Roy Williams 11, case closed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NorthDalal;2478326 said:
Which 2008 WR would be the example of what we'd get next year.

Devin Thomas
Malcomb Kelly
Limas Sweed

Roy Williams 11, case closed.
Yep. He's got amazing hands, pretty fair speed and will be way ahead of a rookie next year which is what we are counting on.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Even if we somehow don't make the playoffs (did I just type that?) our 1sst round pick was not going to be high enough to draft an impact WR (Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin) nor would it have been high enough to move up to get 1 of those players by trading our 3rd and 6th wit it in an attempt to move up.

Now that we've re-signed Colombo we go into this off-season with ZERO holes on offense to fill. This was a very good move. The only way this move would suck is if Roy didn't extend his deal and left as a free agent.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2478369 said:
Even if we somehow don't make the playoffs (did I just type that?) our 1sst round pick was not going to be high enough to draft an impact WR (Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin) nor would it have been high enough to move up to get 1 of those players by trading our 3rd and 6th wit it in an attempt to move up.

Now that we've re-signed Colombo we go into this off-season with ZERO holes on offense to fill. This was a very good move. The only way this move would suck is if Roy didn't extend his deal and left as a free agent.
Backup QB should be right at the top of the list.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Achozen;2478370 said:
Backup QB should be right at the top of the list.
Agreed. I keep hearing Michael Vick buzz but then I think will Jerry do that again?

Kyle Boller and JP Losman are out there. Both might consider signing a 2-year deal with a top team like us and hope they can turn that into a chance to sign elsewhere as a starter down the road.

No more 40 year old has-been's or 6-foot tall never was'. Let's get someone who can come in and move the offense. Remember when you used to have confidence when Aikman went down? You'd wish Aikman was there but you knew the #2 as pretty damn good.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's gonna take time for RW to gel into the system. I never had any great expectations from him this year. Next year that will be different. Some people have no patience whatsoever. This isn't sandlot.

bigE79

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2478079 said:
Problem with that is he was going to be an UFA (and there's no way Detroit planned on keeping him), so Dallas could have just signed him.

This move was made with "win now" aspirations in mind.
who says he would be an UFC? They could have franchised him or even if they didnt, dont you think there would have been other teams trying to get him? and when you have other teams involved dont you think the price for him goes way over what we paid him,i do and i think it was a very sound deal by JJ,IMO:star:

alancdc

Reaction score
Speaking of WR's what happened to Patrick Crayton catching big 3rd down passes and 55-60 a year? He is invisible.

soccerbud

Reaction score
alancdc;2478406 said:
Speaking of WR's what happened to Patrick Crayton catching big 3rd down passes and 55-60 a year? He is invisible.
he's like the 4th option behind to, witten, and roy williams. He'll be lucky to get 2-3 balls thrown his way during a game.