When we traded for Roy Williams...

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
rangers71;2479520 said:
I will respond. You said that Roy isn't fast. That is isn't right. He ran a 4.3at the combine. That is fast. What is your definition of fast? And by the way smart guy he did have the only touchdown against Tampa. Without him we lose that game. Are you telling me that we needed to make a trade for a a backup qb or DB? Tell me where you were going to get a qb at that time. It's very simple you weren't. Also at the time we were stocked fine at DB. The injury bug hadn't hit yet. I find it hard to believe that this is a failed trade. Promise me this though when Roy becomes a stud in this offense (whether that is this year or next or whenever) don't you dare come on here and say that you are glad he is here or be a fan of his since you have loudly proclaimed this a failure.

He ran closer to a 4.5 than a 4.3. He doesn't play fast. We had injuries in the secondary all year, and we needed a backup at quarterback. We could have filled any of those positions with the money we spent on a complementary receiver.

Don't get me wrong, I think Roy is a nice receiver and I would have applauded the move if we didn't have TO, and it was done in the off-season where you don't appear desperate and give up too much.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Blue&Silver;2479952 said:
He ran closer to a 4.5 than a 4.3. He doesn't play fast. We had injuries in the secondary all year, and we needed a backup at quarterback. We could have filled any of those positions with the money we spent on a complementary receiver.

Don't get me wrong, I think Roy is a nice receiver and I would have applauded the move if we didn't have TO, and it was done in the off-season where you don't appear desperate and give up too much.

The legend did NOT run at the combine.
Draft pubs I had had him in 4.45 to 4.5 range. thats probably a 4.5 to 4.55 at a combine hence why he did not run. He took his top 10 status and ran to the bank.....

There is no 4.3 in Roy #11
Very, very Rare for bigger guys like that to be fast and quick.

Jake0

Reaction score
This has been talked about to death already. If we didn't get RW11 this year, we wait till the offseason for them to franchise him and we end up giving up, guess what? A 1st and a 3rd yet again. We threw in that 6th rounder to get him early, big deal. The price wouldn't have been different at all. It wasn't a move of desperation, it is called making moves to put a team that was right at the cusp of a championship over the top.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2477776 said:
I don't think it was a panic. The problem is Romo does not seem to look for Roy like he does TO and Witten. I'm not sure Garrett is calling many plays for him either. The idea was for Roy to help take some attention away from TO. He has done that at times, but our refusal to utilize him has defenses not even worrying about him. I hope he breaks out against the Giants. Man, would that make me giddy.

excellent post..

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
quick stats (2008)

REC 30 - 409YDS

FRANCHISE MONEY AND #1 AND #3?

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Hostile;2478219 said:
It is just such a silly idea put forth by people who are not listening to the team. This guy fits in perfectly here and is part of the re-awakening of the Offense. His production will pick up as the Offense gets healthy and learns each other. By next year this Offense will be virtually unstoppable.

LG is hurting. That limits the Offense right now.

Witten is seriously hurting. If he wasn't they would be so dangerous.

Barber is hurt. Choice is a rookie. Felix is gone. This running game can improve and he helps it by making teams focus on how we can beat them with the pass.

That is a lot of this Offense who are beat up. He is brand new in the Offense. Timing will come. Anyone who thinks it won't just doesn't get it.
They could have had him AFTER the season. If the Boys miss the playoffs, it's Obvious that they did not need to do it. The would have missed the playoffs w/o\u him. My point is if you get him after the season, you still have your first rounder and 3rd roudner for impact players (see OL, DL, maybe LB)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Realist;2481002 said:
They could have had him AFTER the season. If the Boys miss the playoffs, it's Obvious that they did not need to do it. The would have missed the playoffs w/o\u him. My point is if you get him after the season, you still have your first rounder and 3rd roudner for impact players (see OL, DL, maybe LB)
Sometimes it is better to roll the dice than to bank on something else. I will never fault the team for trying to get better when the opportunity is there. I will also never be an over reactionary fan who expects Hall of Fame caliber numbers from every player on the roster and if they don't happen it is proof of all kinds of failure form the top down.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Hostile;2481015 said:
Sometimes it is better to roll the dice than to bank on something else. I will never fault the team for trying to get better when the opportunity is there. I will also never be an over reactionary fan who expects Hall of Fame caliber numbers from every player on the roster and if they don't happen it is proof of all kinds of failure form the top down.
I am not overeacting. I'm just saying I thought as a longer term move (T.O. succession plan) its good to have him, but I also think the Cowboys thought he would make a difference this year. I like RW, I really do. I just think we need more help than people think and that is where the draft picks come in. Anyway, we are not going to agree on this, but we will agree to root for RW and the Cowboys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Joe Realist;2481034 said:
I am not overeacting. I'm just saying I thought as a longer term move (T.O. succession plan) its good to have him, but I also think the Cowboys thought he would make a difference this year. I like RW, I really do. I just think we need more help than people think and that is where the draft picks come in. Anyway, we are not going to agree on this, but we will agree to root for RW and the Cowboys.
Very few players come onto an established team in the middle of a season and cause an impact crater. We will use Roy. He's not going to be the invisible man. Games and how they unfold do dictate how and when you can.

Does Garrett call his number less than TO or Witten? Of course he does. He knows exactly what he has in those guys, he's learning what he has in Roy. Any coach would likely do that unless the player acquired is by far the best weapon on the team. We have a luxury here. People forget that.

Does Romo look for him and Bennett less than he does TO and Witten? Of couse he does. See above. Talent can sometimes cause you to focus on it. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.