When were you glad the team didn't get who you wanted to draft?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I wanted Wentz and the picks needed. My scouting resume is collecting dust. :D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Brady Quinn was available when Dallas drafted in 2007; however, the Cowboys traded the pick to Cleveland. Dallas didn't want Quinn and knew the Browns did. They traded down.

I should have said "just" players who weren't available when we picked. Your assessment is correct.

lqmac1

Reaction score
For me that's easy. I wanted Paxton Lynch in this last draft. Man, was Dak ever a better deal. Lynch might end up being a good QB. Time will tell, but Dak was a once in a lifetime find.

Second place is Melvin Gordon. I wanted him after we lost Murray, but Zeke is way, way better.

Your turn. Who is a player you wanted, but are glad we didn't get?
I was so disappointed when we took Z Martin. I literally sat there for a few minutes just staring at the TV thinking it was a wasted pick. Boy was I wrong.

I wanted Manzeil

Titleist

Reaction score
STEVEN JACKSON!!!!!!!

He fell to us....and Parcells trades down :angry:
(???) Read the OP's question more carefully - this is about who you wanted to draft but the player turned out to be a bust.

This is pretty easy for me. I was crazy about "Earthquake" Bill Enyart in the 1969 draft...he had several awe-inspiring games in college, including a 50 touch, 300 yard, 3 TD rushing game against Utah. Even today that is fantastic! I was so upset we skipped him and picked some Ivy Leaguer named Calvin Hill.

Of course, Earthquake went on to only play 3 seasons in the NFL and Calvin helped win us our first Super Bowl, so I was clearly wrong on that one!

Air Force One

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I wanted Manziel. Just goes to show that even the smartest people in the world can be wrong occasionally.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I'm the idiot that wanted Jeff Driskel in the 4th last year. I was screaming at the he tv when we took Dak instead.

I'm also the idiot that once thought that Henson was the better prospect over Romo.

I should stop evaluating QBs.

Tristan

Reaction score
I'm the idiot that wanted Jeff Driskel in the 4th last year. I was screaming at the he tv when we took Dak instead.

I'm also the idiot that once thought that Henson was the better prospect over Romo.

I should stop evaluating QBs.
I also was a Hensonite!

Tristan

Reaction score
Mike Williams WR USC, thought he was the Lebron James of WR's. D Jarrett too, Il never underestimate separation again

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Jay Cutler- Mega arm but apparently a tiny brain...

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I wanted Big Mike Williams, the WR from USC. He was so dominant. We missed on Moss and I didn't want us to miss again.

Dude didn't go to an ideal situation in Detroit, but needless to say I was wrong about him.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Whoa hold on. I love me some Tyron, but JJ Watt has ben DPOY 3 times. He will be looking to add number 4 this year. You can find good or even great LOT's but you can't find someone who could go down in the record books as being one of (if not the) single most disruptive defensive players in the history of the league.
Tyron Smith is a 4x All-Pro.

Lineman don't win indvidual awards so comparing him to JJ Watt winning DPOY isn't really fair. Tyron smith hasn't even peaked yet based on him still only being 26. His contract (well that of any lineman) is also much friendlier.

I'd take Smith over Watt 100 of 100 times.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Easy. 2013 draft.

Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper topped my wish list (and I was far from the only one). Can't miss guys. CAN'T. MISS. Position of severe need. Pair with Tyron Smith and create a dominant OL for a decade.

Unfortunately, they both go top 10. "Dang Jerry. You should have traded up," I said.

BUT WAIT! A top DT in Shariff Floyd inexplicably drops all the way to our pick. We lucked out! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth Jerry. Take the stud DT.

Nope. We trade down. "What the hell is this team doing," I said. We should have picked Floyd.

Cooper busts.
Warmack busts.
Floyd busts.

These were the 5th (Floyd), 6th (Cooper), and 8th (Warmack) rated players on our leaked draft board, by the way.

We "settled" for some Center from Wisconsin.

If either Warmack or Cooper dropped to our pick, we don't draft Frederick. We likely don't draft Zack Martin the following year either. We'd still be trying to make it work with Warmack/Cooper. Very different team without those two. Also, the pick we got from the trade down was used on another offensive starter - Terrence Williams.
I liked Floyd somewhat too

Nice trade down by Dallas though!

Some say we maybe could have had Floyd and then Frederick in the 2nd though.
All theory

Last edited:

robbieruff

Reaction score
This is a tough one. I would echo some of the above call outs but to change it up I would have to say Carlos Rogers (WR from Michigan State) who ironically went to the Lions in back2back picks with the other popular bust - WR Mike Williams.

Defensively I was a huge Boz fan and thought he'd make the perfect Cowboy with his combination of media prowess and on field dominance. Uh....no.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
D. McFadden and Johnny Football are probably the two biggest I was totally wrong about...