When were you glad the team didn't get who you wanted to draft?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Easy. 2013 draft.

Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper topped my wish list (and I was far from the only one). Can't miss guys. CAN'T. MISS. Position of severe need. Pair with Tyron Smith and create a dominant OL for a decade.

Unfortunately, they both go top 10. "Dang Jerry. You should have traded up," I said.

BUT WAIT! A top DT in Shariff Floyd inexplicably drops all the way to our pick. We lucked out! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth Jerry. Take the stud DT.

Nope. We trade down. "What the hell is this team doing," I said. We should have picked Floyd.

Cooper busts.
Warmack busts.
Floyd busts.

These were the 5th (Floyd), 6th (Cooper), and 8th (Warmack) rated players on our leaked draft board, by the way.

We "settled" for some Center from Wisconsin.

If either Warmack or Cooper dropped to our pick, we don't draft Frederick. We likely don't draft Zack Martin the following year either. We'd still be trying to make it work with Warmack/Cooper. Very different team without those two. Also, the pick we got from the trade down was used on another offensive starter - Terrence Williams.
Definitely wouldnt call Floyd a bust

GoJacks

Reaction score
Definitely wouldnt call Floyd a bust
He is on his way to being one. He wasn't coming in for treatments for his injury last year. There was one Zimmer PC where he was asked about Floyd's timetable to return, and he said he didn't know because he hadn't seen him in weeks.

I would say that's a bad sign.

jordan4vols

Reaction score
Alabama safety Mark Barron. We traded up for Claiborne and I thought we were trading up for Barron. I was so disappointed. Neither has been all that good

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
In 2012 I wanted Mark Barron. Dallas drafted Mo Claiborne, so now we can all cry about missing out on Luke Kuechly, Fletcher Cox and Stephon Gilmore.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In 2012 I wanted Mark Barron. Dallas drafted Mo Claiborne, so now we can all cry about missing out on Luke Kuechly, Fletcher Cox and Stephon Gilmore.

Yup. We all suffered through some bad play by Claiborne, then last season he finally got pretty good. Then left the team. Not worth the trade up.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
There's always at least one guy I like for us that ends up being a bum every year.

I remember being annoyed we drafted Escobar over Margus Hunt in 2013.

Margus Hunt has 1.5 sacks total in 4 NFL seasons.

Oops.

Asklesko

Reaction score
manziel. he would have been fun to watch on the cowboys. i don't think he would have fallen apart like in cleveland. there's more reason to stay around in dallas than in cleveland.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
manziel. he would have been fun to watch on the cowboys. i don't think he would have fallen apart like in cleveland. there's more reason to stay around in dallas than in cleveland.

When we were up I was 110% sure that was our pick.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Alabama safety Mark Barron. We traded up for Claiborne and I thought we were trading up for Barron. I was so disappointed. Neither has been all that good

Barron has settled in pretty nicely now as a hybrid safety/linebacker. The Cowboys aren't creative enough to consider using a player that way, so he probably would have been a complete bust here.