Where are the splash plays in Zeke’s game?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Splash plays are defined as a play of 20 yards or more. It used to be one of the defining parts of Ezekiel Elliott’s game as a RB. He used to always be at the top of the league in SPs.

In fact between 2016-2018, Zeke had 30 splash plays, averaging about 10 a year. In 2019 so far, Zeke has had a grand total of 2 splash plays. One run and one catch.

Why is this happening? Dak’s game has certainly improved. The overall offensive numbers have improved. On the other hand, Zeke’s big play production has fallen off the table.

Is it the OL not being as effective as it once was? Or has Zeke lost some tread on the tires?

One thing is certain. The way this team is built, if Zeke Elliott is no longer a threat to break one at any moment, defenses have a much easier job. This team’s future hopes for playoff time probably hinges on some Zeke revival.

Does it start today?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Splash plays are defined as a play of 20 yards or more. It used to be one of the defining parts of Ezekiel Elliott’s game as a RB. He used to always be at the top of the league in SPs.

In fact between 2016-2018, Zeke had 30 splash plays, averaging about 10 a year. In 2019 so far, Zeke has had a grand total of 2 splash plays. One run and one catch.

Why is this happening? Dak’s game has certainly improved. The overall offensive numbers have improved. On the other hand, Zeke’s big play production has fallen off the table.

Is it the OL not being as effective as it once was? Or has Zeke lost some tread on the tires?

One thing is certain. The way this team is built, if Zeke Elliott is no longer a threat to break one at any moment, defenses have a much easier job. This team’s future hopes for playoff time probably hinges on some Zeke revival.

Does it start today?

I will get flamed for saying this, but look at Zeke’s build between 2016 to now. He looks at least 20 lbs heavier and it isn’t all muscle weight. He lacks burst and speed through line. He succumbs to tacklers that would have had no chance against him in 2016.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score

Does it start today?

The bolded part above. I think the revival starts today.

Silly

Reaction score
He beat the Steelers in 2016. I actually cheered for the cowboys. Dog didn't know what I was screaming about. The cowboys had sucked for so long!

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah, I think team are playing us differently since Dak has upped his game. More safeties are playing out of the box limiting Zeke's big play ability. Zeke plays better when he has high-loaded boxes. Not too much of that this season because of Dak's passing performance this season. In my opinion of course.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Splashing around in the toilet...he’s pretty straight ahead and car crashes for 4 yards,but not the big plays he should have sprinkled in. They still don’t use him enough pass game...he’s good at it,but whatever.

JayFord

Reaction score
Some games our only gameplan is to slam him up the middle 20 times

we really dont get creative with Zeke

i guarantee you if we use pollard just a little more Zeke would get more splash plays

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Does it start today?

IDK....I know I'm probably a minority here but I think this is overplayed a bit. Even if you look at your stat of him averaging 10 a year, that's less than 1 a game. He's still the total package......running, pass protection, receiver and durable. Not a lot RBs we can say this about today. I said in another thread earlier this week, Zeke is the least our problems. Just think fans have put a bullseye on his back coz of his new deal but then again some do that to ALL players signing new deals. They're doing to DLaw and Jaylon Smith too. Dak and Coop can expect the same treatment too once their deals are signed.......

ksadler1

Reaction score
If our boy wonder OC would pull his head out and use Pollard, we'd get our splash plays. Maybe that would light a fire under Zekes fat butt...

ksadler1

Reaction score
IDK....I know I'm probably a minority here but I think this is overplayed a bit. Even if you look at your stat of him averaging 10 a year, that's less than 1 a game. He's still the total package......running, pass protection, receiver and durable. Not a lot RBs we can say this about today. I said in another thread earlier this week, Zeke is the least our problems. Just think fans have put a bullseye on his back coz of his new deal but then again some do that to ALL players signing new deals. They're doing to DLaw and Jaylon Smith too. Dak and Coop can expect the same treatment too once their deals are signed.......

While l somewhat agree with you Hawk, Zeke just doesn't seem to play with the same fire every game like he used to. Maybe it's just frustration on his part because his blocking isn't consistent either, but something is just not right with him...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some games our only gameplan is to slam him up the middle 20 times

we really dont get creative with Zeke

i guarantee you if we use pollard just a little more Zeke would get more splash plays
Could you get that message to someone at the Star?

HungryLion

Reaction score
One problem is our offensive line is no where near as good as people think it is.

In fact it's very overrated

certainly overpaid relative to their production level.

the offensive line needs to be a dominant unit given how much cap space is devoted to it.

it’s been nowhere close to dominant and in fact has been a major factor in two losses. (Saints and Vikings)

Hardline

Reaction score
certainly overpaid relative to their production level.

the offensive line needs to be a dominant unit given how much cap space is devoted to it.

it’s been nowhere close to dominant and in fact has been a major factor in two losses. (Saints and Vikings)

With an elite RB and an elite offensive line this offense should be running the ball down defenses throats
And it's not.

kento40

Reaction score
He splashes into his pool full of money, the blue cheese splashes when he dunks his buffalo wings. Splash plays? Yeah, good luck with those.