Where are the splash plays in Zeke’s game?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Zeke is a power runner and as he ages you will continue to see him get tough yards, but fewer splash plays. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be important for the Cowboys to sub in a speed back.

KingRah

Reaction score
When u have an oline that can’t open up more than a couple holes in the 1st half against the 26th ranked run defense that’s the bigger problem. That group is the most overrated unit in the NFL. Zeke does look slower and the coaches need to put him back on the track and with a full time nutritionist in the off season
Yes!! He's the new Roy Williams, a player with hall of fame process with eats himself out of a spot in canton.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sooooo, since Z made a splash play, does that mean he's now great???

ArtClink

Reaction score
Splash plays are defined as a play of 20 yards or more. It used to be one of the defining parts of Ezekiel Elliott’s game as a RB. He used to always be at the top of the league in SPs.

In fact between 2016-2018, Zeke had 30 splash plays, averaging about 10 a year. In 2019 so far, Zeke has had a grand total of 2 splash plays. One run and one catch.

Why is this happening? Dak’s game has certainly improved. The overall offensive numbers have improved. On the other hand, Zeke’s big play production has fallen off the table.

Is it the OL not being as effective as it once was? Or has Zeke lost some tread on the tires?

One thing is certain. The way this team is built, if Zeke Elliott is no longer a threat to break one at any moment, defenses have a much easier job. This team’s future hopes for playoff time probably hinges on some Zeke revival.

Does it start today?

Local and nat'l media continue to call our off line the best and Zeke as the top or one of the top RBs. Elite RBs have lots of splash plays in a season. Look what Cook did behind a below avg off line last wk.

I will say it again, why is Pollard not starting because he looks like the better RB this yr.

dallas72

Reaction score
Splash plays are defined as a play of 20 yards or more. It used to be one of the defining parts of Ezekiel Elliott’s game as a RB. He used to always be at the top of the league in SPs.

In fact between 2016-2018, Zeke had 30 splash plays, averaging about 10 a year. In 2019 so far, Zeke has had a grand total of 2 splash plays. One run and one catch.

Why is this happening? Dak’s game has certainly improved. The overall offensive numbers have improved. On the other hand, Zeke’s big play production has fallen off the table.

Is it the OL not being as effective as it once was? Or has Zeke lost some tread on the tires?

One thing is certain. The way this team is built, if Zeke Elliott is no longer a threat to break one at any moment, defenses have a much easier job. This team’s future hopes for playoff time probably hinges on some Zeke revival.

Does it start today?
Just had 1 ..

jay94

Reaction score
Besides the Eagles game Zeke has looked like an average back to me, definitely nothing worthy of his pay. He has got incredibly slower, like on a 40 I would bet .5. Yes there have been bad blocking games, but also several games where he isn't getting touched 5 yards down the field, if it was Pollard he would be getting 3-5 more yards there.

Froski

Reaction score
Zeke by yards per route run is not a great pass catcher.

He didn't catch a lot of balls in college. He didn't catch a lot of yards until last year and most of those were of the dumpoff variety.

He is not a great pass catcher. He just isn't.
Its still not an excuse not to use him in passing game

So Zeke can't catch right? Pretty sure that was one of his positives coming into the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
Local and nat'l media continue to call our off line the best and Zeke as the top or one of the top RBs. Elite RBs have lots of splash plays in a season. Look what Cook did behind a below avg off line last wk.

I will say it again, why is Pollard not starting because he looks like the better RB this yr.
OK, then I guess I'll have to say it again. Pollard has all the traits of a quality #2 type RB. If given more carries, his stats would most likely immediately go way down. Sorta like Felix Jones, who averaged 8.9 YPC his rook year.

Incorrect. Or you're possibly missing what a splash play can be. If a RB comes up to the line and has nowhere to go, but charges through for a 3 yard game, that can also be called a splash play.

A player absolutely does not have to have splash plays to be considered elite. Ask Frank Gore. I think you may want to cut back on using FF as an analytical tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Besides the Eagles game Zeke has looked like an average back to me, definitely nothing worthy of his pay. He has got incredibly slower, like on a 40 I would bet .5 on a 40. Yes there have been bad blocking games, but also several games where he isn't getting touched 5 yards down the field, if it was Pollard he would be getting 3-5 more yards there.
Yes, Z has appeared to be unmotivated or too fat or something. Looking good in this game, though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, Z has appeared to be unmotivated or too fat or something. Looking good in this game, though.
Yea he looks much better against lesser teams this year.

Our OL is a bigger story than most are discussing . They are bung up with lingering injuries. Not dominating.

KingRah

Reaction score

No rb looks great with a average line. Don't say Barry because he had 2 pro bowl lineman.
Our line is average against good defensive fronts. They're great against the Dolphins.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Does it start today?
The splash looks kind of dried up not much more than a dog shaking some water off anymore. Rb who dont train hard and rely on God given ability are best fresh out of school and age fast .

QBs on the other hand need time to learn the mental part of the game and develop with age this is what we are seeing with Dak QBs are rarely there best right out of school .

Zekes best days may be behind him as he looks to be aging in dog years time will tell certainly doesn't look to be a long term investment like Emmitt or Tony D

Zeke-2K-Yards

Reaction score
Yes!! He's the new Roy Williams, a player with hall of fame process with eats himself out of a spot in canton.
That’s what it’s looking like, it isn’t from wear and tear like some people say, he’s only 24 lol

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
OK, then I guess I'll have to say it again. Pollard has all the traits of a quality #2 type RB. If given more carries, his stats would most likely immediately go way down. Sorta like Felix Jones, who averaged 8.9 YPC his rook year.

Incorrect. Or you're possibly missing what a splash play can be. If a RB comes up to the line and has nowhere to go, but charges through for a 3 yard game, that can also be called a splash play.

A player absolutely does not have to have splash plays to be considered elite. Ask Frank Gore. I think you may want to cut back on using FF as an analytical tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Gore has 3 carries of 20+ yard carries to Zeke’s 1.

He also has a long run of 41 yards.

Gore is also 36; Zeke is 24.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yea he looks much better against lesser teams this year.

Our OL is a bigger story than most are discussing . They are bung up with lingering injuries.
Absolutely. As do all players!!!!!!!!

However, I agree that Z hasn't been impressive this season, overall.