Where Big Mac and his staff deserve some credit

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So you know exactly how much Mike does and doesn’t do in the zillion meetings held throughout the week?

Hey.. If you’re defense of him is we don’t know how great he is behind the scenes then by all means go ahead.

I can watch the games on Sunday and it’s pretty clear who is coaching well and who is screwing up.

But if you want to use all of the things we can’t see as his defense then by all means go for it.

When it’s his time on Sundays to make decisions it’s on full display for everyone to see how bad he is.

Packers sure haven’t missed him.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I can't give them credit for poor clock management or knowing when and when not to go for the 2 point conversion. Poor decision making for a HC that's been in the league as long as he has.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a difference, but I'm not giving him credit for just simply being a better head coach than Jason Garrett.

Jason Garrett is not the bar you should judge head coaches on.

Expect better.

My expectations are that the team takes a step forward every year. There should be improvement every year, and I see a big difference between this year and last year. Maybe thats b/c key players are healthy or maybe its coaching adjustments from last years debacle. MM is a proven coach. I know people say he owes it all to Aaron Rodgers but there are plenty of great QBs who haven't won super bowls throughout the history of the league. You can't win big in spite of a head coach. He is the leader and director of the show. If it was easy, we'd all be doing it. If MM wins a super bowl in Dallas, he'll be the first coach in NFL history to win super bowls with 2 different teams. Thats some rarified air.

I want to see a super bowl within 3 years. If sooner, all the better.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Hey.. If you’re defense of him is we don’t know how great he is behind the scenes then by all means go ahead.

I can watch the games on Sunday and it’s pretty clear who is coaching well and who is screwing up.

But if you want to use all of the things we can’t see as his defense then by all means go for it.

When it’s his time on Sundays to make decisions it’s on full display for everyone to see how bad he is.

Packers sure haven’t missed him.

Hey, if you want to ignore the fact that the cowboys are better prepared than they have been in decades go ahead.

hey if you want to ignore the fact that the team has good game plans go ahead.

hey if you want to ignore the clear cultural change then go ahead.

Hey if you want to give him zero credit for player development and the fact we have young rookies making big impacts early in their careers then go ahead.

hey if you want to pretend the coaching only happens on Sundays then go ahead.

The arguments work both ways. IMO

The packers don’t miss him, yet the packers still haven’t gotten any further without him than they were with him. Funny how that works. Almost like McCarthy wasn’t the problem.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I find interesting in this discussion and many others about the Cowboys, is how often it becomes “all or nothing”. It is possible in a good discussion that multiple things can be said about someone and they are all true.

For example:
  • Mike McCarthy has been a poor clock manager and has made several poor in-game decisions in the 20 games he’s coached here. He deserves that criticism and it must improve.
  • It’s also true that he’s assembled a very good staff that is doing a great job of developing young players and getting wins with lots of starters out.
  • BOTH THINGS CAN BE TRUE.
Here are some other both things can be true:
  • Tony Pollard is an excellent change of pace back who needs more touches. It will help us win.
  • Also true that Zeke is still an effective RB.
  • News flash: We need both to have a great running game.
My point is multiple things can be true.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What I find interesting in this discussion and many others about the Cowboys, is how often it becomes “all or nothing”. It is possible in a good discussion that multiple things can be said about someone and they are all true.

For example:
  • Mike McCarthy has been a poor clock manager and has made several poor in-game decisions in the 20 games he’s coached here. He deserves that criticism and it must improve.
  • It’s also true that he’s assembled a very good staff that is doing a great job of developing young players and getting wins with lots of starters out.
  • Tony Pollard is an excellent change of pace back who needs more touches. It will help us win.

Agree. Too much Black & White thinking.

Good to see a lot of fans though are coming out in support of Big Mike.

He deserved his lumps last years, but we can give him his props too when he comes out strong.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Mike might not be well rounded, no pun intended, nor is he perfect (who is) he's had his days, but come on, the play of this year's
team hints he and his staff is doing something good. Communication is the key here.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
He almost left for Boise St last year. Like all OC he’ll leave when a NFL team makes him the right offer. He might even be able to choose which situation suits him best.
I have no facts to base my feeling but my feeling is this, I honestly don't believe KM had any intentions to leave the Cowboys. He is Jerry's project... I think he's right he needs to stay at... I think he's doing an excellent job as our OC...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike might not be well rounded, no pun intended, nor is he perfect (who is) he's had his days, but come on, the play of this year's
team hints he and his staff is doing something good. Communication is the key here.
As stated earlier- two things at once can be true-
  • Big Mac needs to improve his clock and game management.
  • Big Mac and his coaching staff have done an excellent job so far managing the missing starters on both sides of the ball. In the Garrett era, if an OL missed a game, it was a loss.
Both these points are true about McCarthy.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

For example:

No Bob it has to be what i want it to be.......Like i said Steele is no good at OT i saw this already and they should've moved Martin out to tackle...that has to be right..doesn't it? because Martin is a better OT than Steele.....( For real I had to email Philbin an apology)

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
All I'll say is that we look prepared and that's something that you really never saw it seemed with the previous coach.

Whether that's on MM or his coordinators is something I'll let you fellas debate.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
All I'll say is that we look prepared and that's something that you really never saw it seemed with the previous coach.

Whether that's on MM or his coordinators is something I'll let you fellas debate.

I only have a problem with 2 words in this "Previous Coach" and your use of Previous is spot on so really only one word..calling him a coach...ok I feel better now it was just one word.