Where Big Mac and his staff deserve some credit

RicKospia

Reaction score
We will be seeing our old coach JG this weekend Giants play caller . Go Cowboys !!!!

Big_D

Reaction score
Oh you like how he puts that weekly schedule together or something?:lmao2:

Yeah he has nothing to do with the gameplan or roster juggling the pandemic list and injuries?? You serious? Thinking it's just the coordinators is pretty comical.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
And to think SOME in here, wanted the Great Urban Meyer. :laugh:

Big_D

Reaction score
Im serious. He’s awful.

Team is playing better than it has in a decade through injuries and a pandemic. 2 drafts have been lights out, depth and competition improving at every level on the defense. O linemen stepping up. The Cowboys are playing dam good and just soundly beat a coach who was hired at the same time and left his team with no timeouts in the 4th quarter????? LOL

Plus winning down multiple starters. To think he has nothing to do with any of it? lol Probably the most OUT players between injuries, pandemic and suspensions this team has ever seen? I could go on, but you rather drown in your own misery. Good luck with that!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
McCarthy is great at his job.

He made the decision to hire his Coordinators and hold them accountable.

He has built and is building a winning culture for all players to thrive.

He has influenced the building of defensive talent.

He is wise enough to leave the offense alone and tweak it.

Game/time management could be better. But would rather have the culture, the coaching and the talent.

KM and DQ were Jerry's hires, not MM.

Nolan and Fassell were 100% MM hires.

Reaction score
Big Mac is terrible at his job.

His coordinators are making him not look completely foolish right now.

Jerry probably deserves *some* credit since he finally hired a good defensive coordinator. This team has had playoff quality offenses for many years but crap defenses that screwed up everything.

Reactions: BAT

Big_D

Reaction score
KM and DQ were Jerry's hires, not MM.

Nolan and Fassell were 100% MM hires.

Now he gets credit while 25 years flew by?? He just woke up from a nap? lol He suddenly figured out what it takes?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Now he gets credit while 25 years flew by?? He just woke up from a nap? lol He suddenly figured out what it takes?

Jerry's not always clueless.

When Nolan set franchise record worse defense, that was a very good wake up call.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry's not always clueless.

When Nolan set franchise record worse defense, that was a very good wake up call.

With Garretts players lol Everyone wants to pin it on Nolan? Jerry built that D! That was the Cowboys braintrust over a decade.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
With Garretts players lol Everyone wants to pin it on Nolan? Jerry built that D! That was the Cowboys braintrust over a decade.

You are clueless.

Just like Nolan.

You need to take a nap after sharing this much of your knowledge.

I'm sure you must be exhausted.

Big_D

Reaction score
You are clueless.

Just like Nolan.

You need to take a nap after sharing this much of your knowledge.

I'm sure you must be exhausted.

That's hilarious. You have no idea what you're talking about. The D sucked!!!!! And then people were surprised they still sucked in 2020??? Jerry built that..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Team is playing better than it has in a decade through injuries and a pandemic. 2 drafts have been lights out, depth and competition improving at every level on the defense. O linemen stepping up. The Cowboys are playing dam good and just soundly beat a coach who was hired at the same time and left his team with no timeouts in the 4th quarter????? LOL

Plus winning down multiple starters. To think he has nothing to do with any of it? lol Probably the most OUT players between injuries, pandemic and suspensions this team has ever seen? I could go on, but you rather drown in your own misery. Good luck with that!

Listen.. I know it’s a Cowboys message board so someone will think McCarthy is a good coach but outside of this message board everyone else is actually paying attention to the screw ups and not applauding him for a coach he hired.

Hiring Dan Quinn doesn’t excuse the mountain of in game decisions he makes. If it does for you then by all means have at it.

I just have to keep things in perspective and remember this is the same forum that made excuses for Jason Garrett as well.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has been rightly criticized (in my opinion) for some of his in-game management issues. It’s still a concern for me. BUT- I also believe in giving credit where credit is due as well.

Here’s where Big Mac and his staff deserve a ton of credit through 4 games:
  1. Next Man Up working- Unlike the previous coaching staff of the Clapper, this staff has proven that you can still play well and win some games with several starters out. Under Garrett, the loss of a starter- on either side of the ball- was practically a guaranteed loss. Followed by excuses. This staff should be commended for making “next man up” mean something.
  2. This staff uses the whole roster. I’ve been so impressed with the use of lots of players in creative ways. Some examples:
    • Tony Pollard- getting 12-15 touches a game as opposed to 2-5 under Garrett. Gives the running game more punch and preserves Zeke more.
    • Using Micah Parsons all over the field and in different positions besides LB.
    • Connor McGovern being used as a fullback. McGovern is being used on the OL and the backfield.
  3. Players are being developed- Its great to see young players being patiently coached and developed. Examples:
    • Terrance Steele- what a difference a year makes. This guy is at least an excellent swing T now. Maybe even a future starter.
    • Cedric Wilson- in his fourth season, he has become more than a just a backup WR. He’s provided some excellent plays.
    • This list could go on and on.
Mike McCarthy and his staff deserve some credit. This is a much better team because of some coaching and development. Would this have happened under Garrett? Hahaha! It’s early, but some credit is deserved.
He is doing something behind the show. His coordinators look better

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Listen.. I know it’s a Cowboys message board so someone will think McCarthy is a good coach but outside of this message board everyone else is actually paying attention to the screw ups and not applauding him for a coach he hired.

Hiring Dan Quinn doesn’t excuse the mountain of in game decisions he makes. If it does for you then by all means have at it.

I just have to keep things in perspective and remember this is the same forum that made excuses for Jason Garrett as well.

And I'm not sold on Dan Quinn yet either. The defense looks better because Diggs is all over the ball...but the defensive play calling, especially in the first halves of game, it sucks. It's just vanilla crap, easy to pick apart. Obviously it's not all the effective with a revised front 4 still looking to gel. Without Diggs interceptions, the Cowboys defense would look awfully stinky, IMO. Once the turnovers drop off, this defense may be back to routinely giving up 40+ points.

Garrett was bad, McCarthy's not much better. So, the team will have to win in spite of the coaching, just like they had to do under Garrett.

But I expect this team to be outcoached in the playoffs, which will yet again cost them a chance at a Superbowl. Clock management, challenges, 4th downs, Red Zone offense, Red Zone defense...this will determine a lot of games in December and January. Right now, I'm not counting on this staff to get it done. So the players will have to play out of their minds when the games get tight late in the season. Maybe Diggs will give us a pair of interceptions in each game in December, which could propel us through January. Fingers crossed.

lukin2006

Reaction score
This team is better coached. MM is not a good game manager, neither is Andy Reid.

can he lead us to an SB is the question?

I think we got the talent to win the SB...especially on the O.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
And I'm not sold on Dan Quinn yet either. The defense looks better because Diggs is all over the ball...but the defensive play calling, especially in the first halves of game, it sucks. It's just vanilla crap, easy to pick apart. Obviously it's not all the effective with a revised front 4 still looking to gel. Without Diggs interceptions, the Cowboys defense would look awfully stinky, IMO. Once the turnovers drop off, this defense may be back to routinely giving up 40+ points.

Garrett was bad, McCarthy's not much better. So, the team will have to win in spite of the coaching, just like they had to do under Garrett.

But I expect this team to be outcoached in the playoffs, which will yet again cost them a chance at a Superbowl. Clock management, challenges, 4th downs, Red Zone offense, Red Zone defense...this will determine a lot of games in December and January. Right now, I'm not counting on this staff to get it done. So the players will have to play out of their minds when the games get tight late in the season. Maybe Diggs will give us a pair of interceptions in each game in December, which could propel us through January. Fingers crossed.

You need a new TV...the one you have is broke if you see the same culture and coaching you saw when JG was the coach...

HungryLion

Reaction score
He’s been hands off on those things.. Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn run their side of the ball.

“Teams being prepared to play”.”Adjustments.” Such a fan thing to say.

McCarthy is bad. Everyone knows it.

So you know exactly how much Mike does and doesn’t do in the zillion meetings held throughout the week?