Where do sayings come form and how many does it take to catch on?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of my all time favorites is "it's hard to remember the original objective was to drain the swamp when you're up to your *** in alligators".

That is a famous business saying and dead on and I lived it many times.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it amazing that it took as long as it did for John Lennon to come up with "life is what happens to you while you're planning something else". The great philosophers would be impressed with just how profound that is.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have another I like to use on people when the obvious needs to be called to attention and it contains alliteration and I am a fool for that. There's a very good reason why peg legged pirates pick parrots over woodpeckers.
Sadly, I have a nephew who'd think it's because woodpeckers don't talk.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"3 sheets to the winds" is a slang term for being drunk. I get the sailing reference but what does it have to do with being "****-faced", which is another expression.
Maybe the ship starts tipping at that point?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My favorite and one of the first I learned. "If my dog had a face like yours, I'd shave his butt and teach him to walk backwards"

Another. "She's so ugly, looks like she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every limb on the way down".

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My favorite and one of the first I learned. "If my dog had a face like yours, I'd shave his butt and teach him to walk backwards"

Another. "She's so ugly, looks like she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every limb on the way down".
I think the first one was a Redd Foxx line, but I could be mistaken.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of these are just witticisms, but there are some sayings that are really baffling.

Why do you tell actors to "break a leg"?
I wonder if it's just because it's less extreme than "dying" on stage.